PDA

View Full Version : I called it (kinda) Biden the pick

sack316
08-23-2008, 12:42 AM
well tonights word on all the networks seem to confirm Biden as the VP pick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm gonna toss out my prediction. I think y'all will be getting a text naming Joe Biden as Obama's running mate. No special reason for it other than reports that his house is a buzzing with family all coming into town, while other possibles have not had things so busy apparently.

Sack </div></div>

Seems I got the pick right. But was wrong about the texts. Guess the newsies figured it out long before the texts will be sent out (supposed to be saturday morning 10:00am, according to reports). Wonder if those who signed up for the texts to be "first to know" will feel shafted at all.

But they shouldn't worry. I'm sure all those cel numbers that got sent it will get plenty of texting from Obama leading up to the election. I'd almost bet it will be a sort of spam-a-thon coming up. Hope the campaign allows reading your text while you work (read: volunteer) for them to pay for hearing him speak /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

nAz
08-23-2008, 01:21 AM
Sack i think that is a terrific choice dems and reps should be happy with this,,, Biden IMO would have made an even better POTUS.

Gayle in MD
08-23-2008, 08:03 AM
He was my own first choice for President, once I knew that Mark Warner wouldn't run.

A Warner/Biden ticket was my dream ticket. I also thought Biden/Hillary wouuld have worked well.

Joe Biden is a man of the people, and always has been. He the very best man to deal with our Middle East mess, compliments of the neo-cons and the neo-conned, who voted for them.

Biden will bring in a lot of the Catholic voters, blue collars, women and also the conservationists.

He has never been accused of any infraction that would deter thinking people from trusting him with the best interests of the country, both foreign, and domestic. Talking a bit too much on occasion, and being too honest about his thinking, shouldn't be of much concern to reasonable people.

He has great international experience, and good relationships both here, and in foreign countries and the foreign affairs arena in general. He has the experience to understand the unintended consequences that could arise from various foreign affairs decisions, a shortcoming and serious flaw in McCain.

There could be no more able VP contender to call the Republicans down on their lies about Iraq, and the Middle East in general. He will be absolutely great in any debate on the subject of foreign affairs.

He is a man of good judgement, overall, and although he was also one who fell for Bush's lies, and promises, he never failed to admit the mistake of doing so by voting to give Bush enough power to create a disaster in the Middle East.

Biden has conducted his life with great integrity, and is probably the most honest man on The Hill. He is also known to practice what he preaches, and that is readily evident in the way he has lived his life.

I am thrilled with the selection of Biden as Obama's running mate, because it also shows that Obama, (unlike McCain's own admission of the kind of VP he will choose, one who agrees with everything he thinks and says) isn't looking for a yes man as his VP. Any reservation I had about him are now gone, with this decision.

Excellent choice! I am thrilled!

moblsv
08-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Great News.

Gayle in MD
08-23-2008, 08:29 AM
Hi there friend! Long time no hear!

Got some book talk to forward.

pm me your ph # again, can't find it! Been sondering how you are!

Love,
Gayle

pooltchr
08-23-2008, 08:37 AM
I think the choice gives the republicans some fuel to throw on the fire. Biden had a lot to say about Obama back when he was a candidate. That could come back to haunt them.

Unfortunately, no matter who the VP choice is, it doesn't change who Obama is, and what he stands for. I think Obama will try to take the country in a different direction. I also think it will be the wrong direction. His philosophy on the redistribution of wealth, not only in this country, but throughout the world is not going to get the economy moving in the right direction.

Steve

Gayle in MD
08-23-2008, 09:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the choice gives the republicans some fuel to throw on the fire. <span style="color: #000066">What fire? </span> Biden had a lot to say about Obama back when he was a candidate. <span style="color: #000066">LOL, par for the course, during the primaries. Politics as usual. </span> That could come back to haunt them.
<span style="color: #000066">The haunted party is Your Party. Nearly eight thousand dead Americans, including Afghanistan, Iraq and 9/11, and all because Bush was, and is, incompetent, and McCain supported him throughout! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif </span>

Unfortunately, no matter who the VP choice is, it doesn't change who Obama is, <span style="color: #000066">Let's hope not! </span> and what he stands for. <span style="color: #000066">Peace, and the end of cowboy diplomacy, sounds pretty good to me. </span> I think Obama will try to take the country in a different direction. <span style="color: #000066">For the love of Pete, I hope so, and so do 87% of the country! </span> I also think it will be the wrong direction. <span style="color: #000066">The wrong direction was Rah Rah War in Iraq, and Obama was against that disasterous mistake, McCain was the one who was for it, remember? </span> His philosophy on the redistribution of wealth, not only in this country, but throughout the world is not going to get the economy moving in the right direction.

<span style="color: #000066">Since only the wealthy have advanced the last eight years, you opinion isn't shared by most Americans. Subsidizing the rich, hasn't worked for most. Robbing the Middle class to to give to the rich hasn't pleased most Americans. And as for the foreign countries, the rest of the world, as you put it, the largest redistribution of wealth in history is presently being prosecuted through the Republican Oil Addiction, which has and will defeat their foreign military adventures, and policies, and our economy.

Gayle in Md.</span>

</div></div>

sack316
08-23-2008, 09:55 AM
I actually agree that Biden is a good pick for the position, and as well wouldn't be a bad pick for president in all likelyhood. BUT, I don't know if he is a good pick for Obama.

I mean, I do see the key elements he is picked for. The idea is to cover the bases of inexperience, forgeign relations, and having a more aggressive and assertive person on the Obama side. I guess kinda "filling in the gaps" one may say. And indeed he does tend to cover most of what the critics will say Obama lacks.

BUT, at the same time, it contradicts what Obama bases his campaign on. He platforms on change and a new way... but Biden's long term service in government doesn't jive so well with that (Not that he is incapable of being different--- just it clashes with the idea of being new, fresh, and a change). Obama also uses the war as one of his BIG talking and selling points. Biden takes that away... as I recall Biden supported the war and went along with the idea that Sadaam was a threat that needed to be overthrown. I believe he also supported the surge. I beleive he one upon a time also once said he'd be "proud" to run with McCain. But most importantly is the way Obama has nailed home his points on the war so hard in this campaign... and then the contrast of that with Biden's record on the matter. (Now the quick answer to any part of a post here regarding the war will be "well, look at your VP pick").

Again, I think I actually like Biden. I think he will be good. But it will be interesting to see if it is seen as a balance to Obama---hence helping him; or if he will be seen as a contradiciton to Obama and hurt him my perhaps forcing him to "soften" his stance on a lot of things that are what allowed him to build his support base in the first place.

Sack

wolfdancer
08-23-2008, 12:43 PM
I don't like the way these resemble each other
Osama...Obama
Bin Laden...Biden (good thing his first name ain't Len)

sack316
08-23-2008, 05:10 PM
I noticed that too wolfie. But didn't feel it was my place on this side of the fence to comment on it first /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

pooltchr
08-23-2008, 09:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the choice gives the republicans some fuel to throw on the fire. <span style="color: #000066">What fire? </span> Biden had a lot to say about Obama back when he was a candidate. <span style="color: #000066">LOL, par for the course, during the primaries. Politics as usual. </span> That could come back to haunt them.
<span style="color: #000066">The haunted party is Your Party. Nearly eight thousand dead Americans, including Afghanistan, Iraq and 9/11, and all because Bush was, and is, incompetent, and McCain supported him throughout! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif </span>

Unfortunately, no matter who the VP choice is, it doesn't change who Obama is, <span style="color: #000066">Let's hope not! </span> and what he stands for. <span style="color: #000066">Peace, and the end of cowboy diplomacy, sounds pretty good to me. </span> I think Obama will try to take the country in a different direction. <span style="color: #000066">For the love of Pete, I hope so, and so do 87% of the country! </span> I also think it will be the wrong direction. <span style="color: #000066">The wrong direction was Rah Rah War in Iraq, and Obama was against that disasterous mistake, McCain was the one who was for it, remember? </span> His philosophy on the redistribution of wealth, not only in this country, but throughout the world is not going to get the economy moving in the right direction.

<span style="color: #000066">Since only the wealthy have advanced the last eight years, you opinion isn't shared by most Americans. Subsidizing the rich, hasn't worked for most. Robbing the Middle class to to give to the rich hasn't pleased most Americans. And as for the foreign countries, the rest of the world, as you put it, the largest redistribution of wealth in history is presently being prosecuted through the Republican Oil Addiction, which has and will defeat their foreign military adventures, and policies, and our economy.

Gayle in Md.</span>

</div></div> </div></div>

Blah Blah Blah....Same old Shhh. Can't you come up with something fresh. These posts of yours are really getting stale.

Steve

pooltchr
08-23-2008, 09:13 PM
I think Biden has one job. Do battle with McCain. Obama isn't sharp enough when you take away his scripts to handle him. Uh, er, well, uhh. Biden, on the other hand, is quite well known for being outspoken on just about any topic.

It's kinda like the wimpy little guy who is afraid of his own shadow, who goes out and buys a pit bull! I believe Obama may have come to the realization that all the hope and change promises may be much more than he can actually deliver. Maybe he's feeling a little bit insecure about the platform he has been standing on, and hoped to get a more experienced, old school washington politician to help offset his weakness.

Steve

Gayle in MD
08-24-2008, 08:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I actually agree that Biden is a good pick for the position, and as well wouldn't be a bad pick for president in all likelyhood. BUT, I don't know if he is a good pick for Obama.

<span style="color: #000066">I think Biden is an excellent choice. </span>

I mean, I do see the key elements he is picked for. The idea is to cover the bases of inexperience, forgeign relations, and having a more aggressive and assertive person on the Obama side.
<span style="color: #000066">I think the most important issue in running our country is that the president isn't owned by corporate interests, and that he has good judgement. MCCain falls far short on both issues. </span>
I guess kinda "filling in the gaps" one may say. And indeed he does tend to cover most of what the critics will say Obama lacks.

BUT, at the same time, it contradicts what Obama bases his campaign on. He platforms on change and a new way... but Biden's long term service in government doesn't jive so well with that (Not that he is incapable of being different--- just it clashes with the idea of being new, fresh, and a change).

<span style="color: #000066">I heartily disagree. If you're going to make changes to improve how government works, it is a plus to be joined by a man who has been in that government, and dealt with all aspects of working across the isle, and dealing with the frustrations involved, right at your side. Besides, we've seen eight years of so called 'Executive experience" and its been a huge flop! </span>
Obama also uses the war as one of his BIG talking and selling points. Biden takes that away... as I recall Biden supported the war and went along with the idea that Sadaam was a threat that needed to be overthrown. <span style="color: #000066">Oh, the old who supported the war, bs, again.

The president lied to all of them. Biden was among the first to come out and say the he shouldn't have voted to give the President, or should I say the KING, any expanded authority, since afterward, the King broke all the conditions he originally agreed to in his approach to the Congress for those authorities.

</span> I believe he also supported the surge. <span style="color: #000066">Biden has always supported our troops, and fought to make sure they didn't have to dig in the trash for scrap metal, giving them severall billions more in funding for their safety. </span> I beleive he one upon a time also once said he'd be "proud" to run with McCain. <span style="color: #000066">Biden is a nice man. Unlike McCain, he doesn't use slander as party of his campaigning style. Joe Biden is one of the most respected people on the Hill. He is very intelligent, honest, and capable. A leader on the foreign affairs venue, and huge supporter of our troops, and is known for his honesty. OTOH, not many like McCain, even among his own party members. </span> But most importantly is the way Obama has nailed home his points on the war so hard in this campaign... and then the contrast of that with Biden's record on the matter. <span style="color: #000066"> Right, unlike McCain's promise to choose a VP who sees everything through his same views, Obama has chosen a man who will not be a Yes Man, something that neither McCain, or Bush, have the self-confidence to do.</span> (Now the quick answer to any part of a post here regarding the war will be "well, look at your VP pick").

Again, I think I actually like Biden. I think he will be good. But it will be interesting to see if it is seen as a balance to Obama---hence helping him; or if he will be seen as a contradiciton to Obama and hurt him my perhaps forcing him to "soften" his stance on a lot of things that are what allowed him to build his support base in the first place.

<span style="color: #000066"> LOL, Biden won't let the Republilcans get away with anything. He's not afraid to call them down on their BS. He's the perfect choice, IMO. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif</span>

Gayle
</div></div>

Gayle in MD
08-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Can't you come up with something accurate?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">McCain’s “gates of hell” talk is leadership malpractice, and he should stop using it immediately. Calling the threat of terrorism “transcendent” is equal parts incoherent and false. Terrorism stands no chance of defeating the United States or the West unless we ourselves collapse the society. Speaking this way about terrorism thrills our terrorist enemies and draws recruits and support to them. Silence would be much better, presidential campaign or no.

</div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">Face it. Republicans have another blathering idiot in there who is basically dishonest, and stupid! Although there may be plenty of idiots dumb enough to vote for more failure on all fronts, atleast SOME Americans have seen through the Republican BS, lies and incompetence. Enough, I hope, to save the country from ruin! </span>

wolfdancer
08-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Well, here's the text:
"It's Biden this time,
cos that's the kind of guy I'm"
(Gershwin, sort of)

pooltchr
08-25-2008, 04:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't you come up with something accurate?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">McCain’s “gates of hell” talk is leadership malpractice, and he should stop using it immediately. Calling the threat of terrorism “transcendent” is equal parts incoherent and false. Terrorism stands no chance of defeating the United States or the West unless we ourselves collapse the society. Speaking this way about terrorism thrills our terrorist enemies and draws recruits and support to them. Silence would be much better, presidential campaign or no.

</div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">Face it. Republicans have another blathering idiot in there who is basically dishonest, and stupid! Although there may be plenty of idiots dumb enough to vote for more failure on all fronts, atleast SOME Americans have seen through the Republican BS, lies and incompetence. Enough, I hope, to save the country from ruin! </span> </div></div>

I know how you love to quote me and then show your ignorance by not even addressing my points.....but at least try to use my quotes and not someone else's.
Thank you
Steve

Gayle in MD
08-25-2008, 06:29 AM
I cut and pasted your post, and addressed every single "point" you think you made. Your other "points" came down to just more irrational condescending insults.

I suppose when the country stands at 55% against Republicans, and 80% want to change them, there's nothing left for you but Repub talking points, and an overall bad mood.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

eg8r
08-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Good for you Sack. So which moving company do you think the Obama's will be using to move into the White House? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

pooltchr
08-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Gayle, I have been reading your posts on here for a long time, and very rarely do you offer anything new to the conversation...just the same old leftist talking points. You can't even stay on topic. You have to make sure you cover, the war, the president, the vice president, big business, and RR in everything you write. I've read it all before. Save your energy for something new. Your posts are quite simply irrelevent.
Steve

Gayle in MD
08-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Steve,
You're opinions mean nothing to me. It must be difficult having to read on a regular basis the list of disasters that your votes in the last two presidential elections have contributed to, but I will list them anyway, in hopes that you might just take the time to educate youself, this time, before you go into the booth!
You can start with voodoo economics, which is what Bush one called Reagans trickle down theory. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

wolfdancer
08-25-2008, 07:06 PM
I think Steve meant to say "you're rubbing salt into the wounds"
But getting back to the Gipper...if it was voodoo economics then, why is it any better now?
Supply side economics and the trickle down theory are virtually the same....AND it's not something that the noted economist Ronald Reagan dreamed up.
It had been tried before in the United States in the 1890s under the name "horse and sparrow theory:
" ..He wrote, "Mr. David Stockman has said that supply-side economics was merely a cover for the trickle-down approach to economic policy—what an older and less elegant generation called the horse-and-sparrow theory: If you feed the horse enough oats, some will pass through to the road for the sparrows."[14]

Galbraith claimed that the horse and sparrow theory was partly to blame for the Panic of 1896.

The typical policy recommendation of supply-side economics is to achieve the proper level of marginal tax rates, which, by virtue of the high rate of taxes in general, equates with cutting of taxes.[2] Maximum benefits are achieved by optimizing the marginal tax rates of those with high-incomes and capital who are deemed as most likely to increase supply and thus spur growth.[3] Mainstream Keynesian macroeconomics, by contrast, contends that tax cuts should be used to increase demand, not supply, and thus should be targeted at cash-strapped, lower-income households, who are more likely to spend additional income.[4]["
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply-side_economics

pooltchr
08-25-2008, 07:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Steve meant to say "you're rubbing salt into the wounds"
</div></div>

No, I actually meant to say that her posts were irrelivent. That why I said it that way. But I know sometimes you think you have to take what someone says and switch it up to fit what you believe. You, are, however, just a rookie. Your queen Gayle is the true master of spin.
But I do encourage you to keep trying.
Steve

wolfdancer
08-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, Steve /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif
I don't think anyone's posts here are irrelevant, although i may totally disagree with what they wrote.
A case usually can be made for both sides , or there wouldn't be any disagreement to begin with.
Gayle does rub it in a bit too much, IMO....but you folks on the extreme right never acknowledge anything that remotely finds fault with the current admin....and even deny that any climate change is occurring, lest that go against the party's stand

jayalley
08-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Pooltchr has nailed it perfectly.

Reading this forum is fun. Take Wolfdancer, for instance, the ne plus ultra of little lap dogs.

Gayle the Repetitive blubbers her tiresome, illogical, perseverative, off-the-topic, tangential and, often, ugly, rants (you can just pick one off the shelf and change the intro line).

She then disappears, since she can't defend these soliloquies.

Enter Wolfdancer to lick up the doo-doo she leaves behind, always answering for her embarrassments.

Now, that's what I like....a man with no shame.

wolfdancer
08-26-2008, 12:23 AM
That's really a very mature post.....and I'm surprised you knew what the word soliloquy meant, almost....or even how to spell it.
Was that the word for the day over on merriam-webster???
And then while you are trying so hard to make a name for yourself here by sucking up to the rest of the extremists....(I believe the colloquialism for that is ass-kissing) and you claim I have no shame???
and since you brought up the subject of scat....eat sh*t !!
to quote another bird brained dickhead here.....
you are a total ***...but you already knew that!!!

pooltchr
08-26-2008, 04:33 AM
Irrelevant only in that it is the same thing over and over. We have heard it all before. At least you and I can have a conversation and disagree, but keep it civil. All she wants to do is beat her same talking points into the ground, and make her personal attacks against anyone who disagrees with her. That's the kind of crap that drives people away from discussions and forums like this.

Steve

Gayle in MD
08-26-2008, 09:59 AM
Maybe that has to do with your own, on-going denials, and ocndescending posting style, which is the only way you can respond. Your own posts are the same drivel, over and over, and usually just more denial of the facts, or the same old worn out personal attacks and insults.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Get your own self in order, Steve.

eg8r
08-26-2008, 10:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was that the word for the day over on merriam-webster???</div></div>Kind of like yesterday when gayle was using antithetical. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I think it is great everyone is increasing their vocabulary. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Just look, by jay using the word it drove you to look it up to see if he used it correctly. Who woulda thunk it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
08-26-2008, 10:44 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but you folks on the extreme right never acknowledge anything that remotely finds fault with the current admin</div></div>You refuse to acknowledge it when we do. We are then having to restate it 50 times to get it through your head. Here is a perfect point...<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and even deny that any climate change is occurring</div></div>No one has ever denied there was a climate change. What we have denied is the "fact" that it is caused by humans. When we post against global warming we should not have to treat you as a child and continue to reiterate our stance prior to making the post every single time.

eg8r

Deeman3
08-26-2008, 10:45 AM
I love these opportunitites to increase my word power without subscribing to Reader's Digest.

Back to Biden, not a bad choice for Obama IMO.

eg8r
08-26-2008, 10:48 AM
I don't think he is a bad choice either and would probably be thrilled if I cared one bit for the guy. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

wolfdancer
08-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Damn, you got me there....and then I had to look up collogualism,
collaqulism ....colloquialism, as well
But I skipped school they day they taught big words

Deeman3
08-26-2008, 12:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think he is a bad choice either and would probably be thrilled if I cared one bit for the guy. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Like most politicians he's a sleeze ball but why should we hold him to higher standards than the rest of Congress? We, on the right, must now pay the same price the democrats paid many years ago for not taking care of the money that was entrusted to them. I know, we can say, "Obama (The New Chimp) will do much more of the same. However, as bad as it will certainly be, if our government had not signed every spending bill sent up and sent tons of money overseas that has not been accounted for, the war, by itself, would not even be an issue to most voters. It's about the money and we spilled the marbles. Now they will spill them even more and we can't do much about it until they are, again, called to account as we have been.

Bush could have laid waste to Iraq in a few weeks and except for the longevity of the war, no one would have even noticed it as much as Sudan. But letting this thing go on, for whatever purpose and giving openings to the ultra left, has, as Obama's Rev. Wright says, "Brought home our chickens to Roost!"

We narrowly avoided Hillary so all may not be lost but I, for one, am hoping this guy is much better than he shows and will become a President if elected and not a politician. I elected my President I owe him that much, until really proven wrong. After all, it's not my interests that are important, nor Nancy Pelosi's, it is America's and we all should respect the difference. </span>