PDA

View Full Version : Voting Machines Dropped Votes

Qtec
08-23-2008, 11:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ohio Voting Machines Contained Programming Error That Dropped Votes

By Mary Pat Flaherty
A voting system used in 34 states contains a critical programming error that can cause votes to be dropped while being electronically transferred from memory cards to a central tallying point, the manufacturer acknowledges.

The problem was identified after complaints from Ohio elections officials following the March primary there, but the logic error that is the root of the problem has been part of the software for 10 years, said Chris Riggall, a spokesman for Premier Election Solutions, formerly known as Diebold.
</div></div>

No wonder they changed their name.

Q..could this account for the Exit Poll enigma?

wolfdancer
08-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Premier Election Solutions....is that a euphemism for Election Rigging?

pooltchr
08-23-2008, 09:00 PM
How do the machines know to only drop votes for one candidate???

Steve

LWW
08-24-2008, 07:09 AM
Why are we using electronic voting?

Does anyone remember?

Hmmm?

Here's why ... the moonbats on the far left claimed that paper ballots were:

- Out of date.
- Too complicated.
- Racist.
- Sexist.
- Anti senior citizens.

and the ONLY viable solution was electronic voting. We simply MUST have electronic voting.

Those with common sense replied that the e-vote system was far easier to rig and much more prone to error.

We were accused of being election fixers, and democracy would crash unless we had electronic voting.

How quickly y'all forget.

LWW

LWW
08-24-2008, 07:10 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do the machines know to only drop votes for one candidate???

Steve </div></div>

Why B-B-B-BOOOOSH! tells it to silly.

LWW

cheesemouse
08-24-2008, 07:50 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do the machines know to only drop votes for one candidate???

Steve </div></div> The soft ware can be programed to do anything the programmer wishes...we have been using forms of electronic voting since the 60's. Some forms of electronic voting are happening all over the world. The debugging process is happening. No one group right or left is responsible the trend towards e-voting; it is more a natural process to use technology. It is happening so we will need to continually improve the process...no biggee.

Gayle in MD
08-24-2008, 09:24 PM
I only vote by absentee ballot these days.

After what the Republicans did in the last few elections, it's the only way to go, IMO.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Qtec
08-24-2008, 09:49 PM
40 odd years ago the US put a man on the moon with a computer that had the processing power of a 70,s pocket calculator.

Most bars etc have touch screen systems. If table 10 orders 4 beers, the waiter goes to the screen, types in 10 and OK. He will then have a choice between food and drink, he clicks drink. Now he has a list of drinks and then touches the square that says BEER 4 times and BINGO, 4 beers is now on the bill for table 10. Believe me, these beers NEVER gets dropped.
Ask yourself, how difficult can it be to count votes properly ?

One party doesn't want people to vote and the other does.
One party didn't want the votes to be counted, the other did.

Florida
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After the first recount by the morning of Wednesday, November 8 Bush's margin in Florida had dwindled to about 500 votes </div></div>

There were 180,000 uncounted votes in Fl!
link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nJz09T0HME)

link (http://edition.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITICS/07/16/voting.problems/index.html)

Why would you need virus software for a system that is not online?

Q

sack316
08-24-2008, 10:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Most bars etc have touch screen systems. If table 10 orders 4 beers, the waiter goes to the screen, types in 10 and OK. He will then have a choice between food and drink, he clicks drink. Now he has a list of drinks and then touches the square that says BEER 4 times and BINGO, 4 beers is now on the bill for table 10. Believe me, these beers NEVER gets dropped.

</div></div>

You obviously never had to work with one of these systems /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I spent a whole day trying to figure out why happy hour coors light's were coming up the right price when put in and sent to a tab, but cost $0 when sent to the register... even when all the formulas and input were correct.

Sack

wolfdancer
08-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Sack, I know little about computers, but have worked with different p.o.s.(point of sales) software, and I could make your $50 bar/pool tab disappear....
There was an article about how the Diebold pos software could also easily have been manipulated, and I believe I posted that link a few years ago

sack316
08-25-2008, 12:40 AM
Silly wolfdancer... I don't get charged for things in bars round here /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

We used poolroom manager (or is it poolhouse manager). AT any rate, I wasn't a big fan of it. Great idea, but had a lot of problems too. Then again I'm old school and prefer the ol' pen and paper method of keeping up with tabs... and votes (had to keep it on topic somehow) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

wolfdancer
08-25-2008, 01:03 AM
I forget our first pool software, but it was written in Basic.
Then We had definitive synergy and finally time magic at another room.
Only a pool room would let a computer dummy like me work on their software.
That reminds me...tomorrow (today) I'm going to post and ask for some IT help....I got one computer back on line, but not sure how, or why...and I'm trying to fix a friends....