PDA

View Full Version : shafts

billyboy
08-23-2008, 06:04 PM
why do snooker players use shafts of ash and pool players use maple? what is the difference?

av84fun
08-24-2008, 12:54 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why do snooker players use shafts of ash and pool players use maple? what is the difference?
</div></div>

They come from different trees.

Sorry! Just couldn't resist.

(-:
Jim

JWasson
08-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Generally, from my experiences, I see Americans using maple shafts for Snooker more often than not, at least in the areas where I tend to hang out. When I was in the UK and in Australia, Ash seemed to be their preference for pretty much any pocket pool game. Exactly why that is, I don't know. The Aussies and Brits also like brass ferrules on their cues as well for general playing. I see that on Snooker cues in the states on occasion, but I always assumed those were imported and not American made. I could be wrong on that account as I really didn't give it that much thought. Never cared for their cues and I also don't like the European taper that they seem to prefer (even in Australia), but that taper might work better with Ash. This I don't know.