PDA

View Full Version : Surge Working?

Gayle in MD
08-25-2008, 06:52 AM
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - A suicide bomber in an explosive vest killed 25 people at a dinner banquet in western Baghdad's Sunni Arab Abu Ghraib district on Sunday, police said.

The attack, the biggest in weeks, took place at the home of a local sheikh who was holding the feast to celebrate the release of his son from U.S. detention, police said.

They said women and children were among the dead, as were some men believed to be members of U.S.-backed neighborhood patrols.

Police colonel Dawood Suleiman in the nearby city of Fallujah gave the initial death toll as 21. A police source in Baghdad who declined to give his name later said 25 had died and 32 were injured.

Iraqi police said U.S. helicopters had flown in to evacuate the wounded.

Abu Ghraib is a largely Sunni Arab district located between central Baghdad and Fallujah on the highway heading west from the capital into Anbar province, an area once in the grip of al Qaeda but now controlled by U.S.-backed tribal groups.

U.S. and Iraqi authorities say suicide bombings are the signature tactic of al Qaeda Sunni Arab militants, who frequently target other Sunnis since Sunni tribes turned against them over the past two years.

Iraq has become far less dangerous over the past year, but militants still retain the capability to conduct large-scaled bombings.
Four roadside bombs in other parts of Iraq -- a double bomb attack in central Baghdad and two separate strikes in Diyala province north of the capital -- killed 11 people on Sunday.

Diyala, where U.S. forces say al Qaeda has regrouped since being pushed out of other parts of the country, has been the scene of a major crackdown by U.S.-backed Iraqi forces and a bombing campaign by militants over the past few weeks.

(Reporting by Yasser Faisal and Peter Graff; Writing by Peter Graff)
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSLI24588020080824?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0

Wally_in_Cincy
08-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Not surprised to see you still are rooting for our guys to lose.

Gayle in MD
08-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Not surprise to see that you are still using Republican antithesis thinking.

wolfdancer
08-25-2008, 11:18 AM
commenting on reported events, is rooting for our guys to lose?
If it's not working, we might consider other options...or does that mean I am rooting for us to lose also?
And why would she want us to lose...to make George,dick, and Connie look bad? (could they look any worse?)
Dissent Wally....it's still permissible,and it's healthy for democracy.....
Your dreams of a one party system, will have to remain on hold for the foreseeable future...but maybe if McCain gets elected (they're writing the software for that, as we "speak")
Wally loves Big Brother!!!!

Bobbyrx
08-25-2008, 11:25 AM
From your own post:
"Iraq has become far less dangerous over the past year"
"Diyala, where U.S. forces say al Qaeda has regrouped since being PUSHED OUT OF OTHER PARTS OF THE COUNTRY"

<span style="color: #FF0000">Are you saying our military had nothing to do with either of these things? </span>

"U.S. and Iraqi authorities say suicide bombings are the signature tactic of al Qaeda Sunni Arab militants, who frequently target other Sunnis since Sunni tribes turned against them over the past two years" <span style="color: #FF0000">not a good way to recruit...... </span>

wolfdancer
08-25-2008, 11:25 AM
each post by him and a few others, written in that style, makes me believe what they really are in favor of is an oligarchy, to replace our democracy.

Gayle in MD
08-25-2008, 11:42 AM
What I'm saying is that the "Surge" which was for the purpose of giving the Iraqis a peaceful time, without sectarian violence, to solve their differences, and come together as a nation, without their ages old grudges, and settle their divisive issues, has not worked, obviously.

We are still playing whack-a-mole in baghdad, and other provinces.

Maliki is insisting on a deadline for withdrawel, which McCain and Bush, are against, and trying to use the idea of a timeline for withdrawel, which Democratics have been pusing for all along, against the Dems. obviously, Republicans have been wrong, all along. You can't pretend that you won't leave until Iraq is sovereign, while standing in the way of their sovereignty by refusing to leave as an occupying force.

Our troops are still being slaughtered. This illogical war has gone on longer than WWI or WWII!

It's absurd! Bush is prolonging what is a lost battle, for no positive gain. He F-ed up when he turned his back on Afghanistan, and made Iraq his proiority. No amount of money, or dead American soldiers, will ever change that. FUBAR.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Diyala, where U.S. forces say al Qaeda has regrouped since being PUSHED OUT OF OTHER PARTS OF THE COUNTRY"
</div></div>
Whack-a-Mole....same thing we've been doing for over four years!

Gayle in MD
08-25-2008, 11:47 AM
The right only deals in antithetical ideology. common sense is beyond their ability. If they can't admit Iraq was a mistake, there's nothing left to discuss. It's known as suspending critical thinking, an act akin to being a Republican!

Their foreign policy ideology is a lot like their voodoo economics. Without any documentation to back up their claims.

It's a lot like the Mission Accomplished banner! And their leaders Cowboy diplomacy. All hat, no cattle. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Bobbyrx
08-25-2008, 12:29 PM
"What I'm saying is that the "Surge" which was for the purpose of giving the Iraqis a peaceful time, without sectarian violence, to solve their differences, and come together as a nation, without their ages old grudges, and settle their divisive issues, has not worked, obviously."
<span style="color: #FF0000">If that is your definition of the surge then you are correct, it has not nor will ever work. However if that is your definition, nothing will ever work, anywhere. We can't even get that done on the CCB, much less OUR country. But then I don't ever remember that being promised by anyone pushing the surge. Iraq is now much safer than it was before we sent in the extra troops, not even the Dems are denying this now. They just want the credit to go to someone other than the people who supported the surge or our troops. </span>

"Our troops are still being slaughtered. This illogical war has gone on longer than WWI or WWII!"
<span style="color: #FF0000">Which just shows how great a job our military is doing. Less that 1% of the troop deaths than WWII while fighting with their hands tied behind their backs making sure civilian casualties are kept to a minimum...</span>

eg8r
08-25-2008, 02:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surge Working?<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gayle's copy/paste</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Iraq has become far less dangerous over the past year</div></div></div></div> Sounds like it is working. You don't hear about the suicide bombings anywhere near as prevalent as before.

Apparently the idiots on the left think "surge working" = "zero casualties ever again". I guess the rest of the world will continue to recognize the surge is working and the nutty 9% can continue shoving their heads in the sand.

eg8r

eg8r
08-25-2008, 02:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The right only deals in antithetical ideology</div></div>So who has been spoon-feeding you lately? Antithetical has never been part of your vocabulary before today, yet now I see two posts of yours which you have used it or something similar. If you use it once more then I guess you own it and can use it freely once you really understand what it means. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

wolfdancer
08-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Ed, I keep telling her not to use big words in her posts
"Dumb them down a little so the right can understand them."
I hate to see you guys having to get your dictionary out
just to try and keep up with the flow...
Did you notice the synonym for that word was Republican?

Wally_in_Cincy
08-25-2008, 03:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what they really are in favor of is an oligarchy, </div></div>

Hell I ain't wantin' no OILgarchy. I reckon that's what got us in this mess to begin with. Heck fire.

(Note to Gayle: It's a joke. I actually know the definition of oligarchy)

Wally_in_Cincy
08-25-2008, 03:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So who has been spoon-feeding you lately? Antithetical has never been part of your vocabulary before today, </div></div>

She had already used "hypocrisy" in a sentence 10 times and "gravitas" would have been too obvious.

Gayle in MD
08-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Making Iraq safer, was not the purpose of the surge. The purpose was political reconciliation. that hasn't happened, and we are still doing whack-a-mole. Read the article.

We've had fewer deaths than in other wars because medical science has made progress. We do't have as many deaths, but more serious injuries, party becausee Bush refused to provide decent equipment. McCain supported that. Biden is the man who fought to get our troops what they needed. Biden and Murtha, both Democrats.

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in Md.

pooltchr
08-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Bobbyrx. You're not playing fair. Using facts to respond to the left wing crying doesn't leave them anywhere to go. She will have to change the subject now!
Steve

Bobbyrx
08-26-2008, 03:18 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Making Iraq safer, was not the purpose of the surge. The purpose was political reconciliation. <span style="color: #FF0000"> "The "troop surge" is a phrase commonly used to describe U.S. President George W. Bush's plan to increase the number of American troops deployed to the Iraq War to provide security to Baghdad and Al Anbar Province."
</span> that hasn't happened, and we are still doing whack-a-mole. <span style="color: #FF0000">Please tell me any war where your so called "whack-a-mole"is not used. I guess we should try to hit them where they're not instead of where the are???? Think of all the lives we could have saved in WWII if we had gone ashore at Miami Beach instead of Normandy.
</span> Read the article.

We've had fewer deaths than in other wars because medical science has made progress. <span style="color: #FF0000">World War I or II ???????? </span> We do't have as many deaths, but more serious injuries, party becausee Bush refused to provide decent equipment. <span style="color: #FF0000">BS..... Since you brought up WWII, I guess you wouldn't want me to site the tens of thousands of lives lost because of the state of our military starting that war. The Navy spent over half the war with torpedoes that worked less than half the time. Should I blame FDR for all that. </span>McCain supported that. <span style="color: #FF0000"> Please tell me what reason McCain would have for not providing decent equipment for our troops. It is the best equiped army in the history of the world</span> Biden is the man who fought to get our troops what they needed. <span style="color: #FF0000">Since when, what about before the war. Care to go check your facts there. Want to check his entire career for his military spending? </span> Biden and Murtha <span style="color: #FF0000">give me a break </span> , both Democrats.

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in Md. </div></div>

Gayle in MD
08-26-2008, 10:13 AM
You're not only uninformed, but ill informed. Our troops were far from well equipped.

McCain even voted against raising educational benefits for our troops when they came back home.

Biden led the way in pushing through legislation to provide decent equipment for our troops. They were getting armour out of the trash, and using it on their vehicles. We were raising money for soldiers who didn't even have socks and helmets!

You really don't know much about what's been going on over there, if you haven't read about that! What happens to them when they get back home is equally appalling.

Bush and McCain have failed to support our troops, in many ways. The worst is by continuing to leave them in a country that has had going on five damned years to get their act together, and they're still refusing to fight for their own freedom.

Nothing is going to turn that country into a democracy that works. The government is corrupt, or haven't you heard about that, either. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif