PDA

View Full Version : POSSIBLE VIRUS ALERT !!!

Troy
08-11-2002, 09:02 PM
There is a VIRUS going around that basically grabs your address book and sends itself on.

While I positively know that they are NOT at fault, I have been receiving e-mail with attachments from various supposed origins as webmaster@playpool.com and tournament@playpool.com

If you receive these e-mails, DO NOT OPEN the attachment.

I have looked at the headers and the real origin appears to be RJRydell@AOL.Com

I suggest copying the header data and forwarding the abusive e-mail to AOL at TOSEmail1@aol.com if you think the origin is an AOL user.

Troy

TomBrooklyn
08-11-2002, 10:42 PM
What is the file name of the attachment?

Troy
08-11-2002, 10:54 PM
I didn't open the attachment and I didn't keep it very long, but I think one was something like "krez". Sorry I can't be more specific.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> What is the file name of the attachment? <hr></blockquote>

Ken
08-12-2002, 05:35 AM
The Klez worm has been going around the CCB since May 24. I have received over 20 of them with a return path of anitamon@earthlink.net. The from line varies and is often a known CCBer. That line is not the sender but just a name that the worm has gotten and puts in at random.

I've never gotten the attachment so perhaps my e-mail filters it out. My understanding is that the attachment is very damaging if it is run. The e-mail seems to consist of around 70 pages of code that does not display on the screen and seems to be harmless. I assume that is what steals your address book and then uses the names to make people think that someone they know has sent the message.

I sent many complaints to earthlink and they never responded but the messages continued. I sent them the headers and then I sent them the whole message and they refused to accept it because it was too long. They didn't mind that I was getting one or two of those long messages every day. They stopped a few weeks ago but I suppose these new ones will begin now.
KenCT

bluewolf
08-12-2002, 09:04 AM
the klez virus is alive and well. it goes away for a few days or a week then comes back. and it does use your address book especially if you use outlook. i am thinking of switching to netscape for that reason.

even though my norton was catching alot of it, i dl the fix it tool from symantec.com. it searches your whole computer including the registry for it and then gets rid of it.

bluewolf