PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble finding an APA team.

Kerbouchard
08-25-2008, 07:52 AM
I've been lurking for a little while now, and have read a lot of the posts and just wanted to say I enjoy this forum.

I had responded in the What makes a SL7 thread, and instead of further derailing it, I figured I would start a new thread.

I don't know how prominent sandbagging is in DFW, but every captain I have talked to about joining says they need me to stay at a 4 or at most a 5 to play. From playing APA and BCA players, most people would consider me a very strong six or an average seven. In other words, I could not get by as a 4.

Has anybody else had that problem? And other than starting my own team, is there any solution?

I normally break and run 4 or 5 games a night, and I would say I average about 1-2 innings. Sometimes 3 or 4 if we are playing safties. Depending on the night, maybe an 8 ball break.

Since I have never played APA, the only thing I have to judge where I would end up is from playing guys that play APA and comparing myself to them and their skill level.

I realize it is not exactly the same, but until I can find a captain that does not want me to throw away games to stay at a 4, its the best I can do.

SpiderMan
08-25-2008, 08:38 AM
If you average between 1 and 2 innings per win, then you will be a "low 7" in APA 8-ball. The 7 rating designates an average of between zero and two. Most of the 7s I know average around one inning.

Sandbagging is not uncommon in APA. Unfortunately, this is one venue where it can pay off, therefore it is practiced by dishonest folks who would cheat to win.

SpiderMan

Kerbouchard
08-25-2008, 08:43 AM
I might be counting innings wrong. If I shoot twice, i.e. a break and a second shot, is that 1 or 2 innings?

I'm assuming 0 innings is a break and run or 8 ball break? I had never heard of 0 innings before.

Bambu
08-25-2008, 08:50 AM
My guess is that the captains you spoke to have too many high level players already. Either that, or they just didnt like you for whatever reason. Look at the league standings, and seek out the last place teams. They will probably be glad to have you. That way you fill the proper void, and dont have to dump.

Kerbouchard
08-25-2008, 10:37 AM
That's a good idea. I think they are about to be forming new teams so I'll get ahold of the league coordinator and see if he'll let me know what low ranked teams might be looking for another player.

sack316
08-25-2008, 12:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kerbouchard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I might be counting innings wrong. If I shoot twice, i.e. a break and a second shot, is that 1 or 2 innings?

I'm assuming 0 innings is a break and run or 8 ball break? I had never heard of 0 innings before. </div></div>

You are right, a break and run or an 8 on the snap would be 0 innings.

A break and then a second shot in the same sequence would be part of the same inning.

An inning concludes when the second shooter fails to pocket a ball. So say you and I are in a match, and you win the lag and break. You do whatever you do, and eventually miss and it is my turn. It is still the same inning during my turn, and only once I fail to pocket a ball is an inning marked. Then it is your turn again, and a new inning has started. Throughout the match an inning concludes once I miss or play safe (regardless of who breaks in a specific rack after the first one, the inning is always after me). It should be noted that this is why it is so important to have scorekeepers that know to mark defensive shots. You and I playing 6 racks with 18 total innings looks a lot different with zero defensive shots marked than 6 racks with 18 innings and 10 defensive shots marked (defense= not attempting to make a ball, and is not just limited to playing a "hook" or whatever).

Anyway, hope that made it a little clearer as to what an inning is.

Sack

p.s. if you are having trouble finding a team, contact the league operators and let them know, they are usually good about finding a spot somewhere. I'm sure there is a "good buddy" team out there somewhere that is full of mid ranked players that would love to have a 6 or a 7 to learn from

SpiderMan
08-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Yes, a break and run or an EOB are both zero-inning games.

Innings are not "counted" until the second player misses. If he "misses" by playing defense, this will be subtracted from his inning total by the league software when computing performance. Note that if your opponent breaks, makes a few balls, misses, and then you run out, it is still a zero-inning game.

If you run out during your second turn at the table, it is a one-inning (one completed inning) game, regardless of whether you are the first or second shooter in the inning. Unless, of course, you ended the "first" inning in a deliberate safety, in which case you will be credited with a zero-inning win.

Most good sevens would probably average under one inning, if defensive shots were accurately marked.

SpiderMan

BigRigTom
08-26-2008, 10:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kerbouchard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a good idea. I think they are about to be forming new teams so I'll get ahold of the league coordinator and see if he'll let me know what low ranked teams might be looking for another player.</div></div>

If you have never played in a league or in organized pool, don't be surprised if you are ranked a bit lower than you may think you should be.
This is NOT an insult, I don't even know you, but I have seen many players who play great in one on one games but when they try to play in front of a number of critical team mates they do not play quite as well for a while. It is a different atmosphere and it takes getting used to.

I have several friends who can whoop my pants off but when they joined the APA suddenly they are a couple of levels behind me. They are still good players but they have not settled into the team atmosphere yet and they make mental errors in league that they would not normally make in a one on one game. I see a lot of player quit the APA for this reason as well. Their ego is just too fragile.

Kerbouchard
08-26-2008, 12:04 PM
I played BCA when I was younger, and I have a few local tournaments I play in. When I was in the Navy I also played in a few bar leagues so it wouldn't be completely new to me.

I do understand your point about how being on a team makes it feel like people are depending on you and I suppose that could make it harder to shoot.

I'm not that worried about what SL I end up being ranked. I just don't want to be on a team where I cannot go up or I have to sit out.

I do need to look over the rules. For instance, I didn't know about how they counted innings. I assumed each time I shot was one inning, and I figured it started at 1, kinda like baseball.

Now I can understand why you guys said 1-2 inning sounds like a high average. So I guesss I average around 1 inning per game.

Anyway, I'm hoping I can find a low team that needs a higher player. It sure will be fun for the first few weeks when I get to play as a 4.

BigRigTom
08-26-2008, 12:09 PM
I wish you were in Southern California, I would love to have you on both my 8 ball and my 9 ball team and we would encourage you to win all you can.

We are always looking for low skill levels to join us but people who play like you describe yourself are always welcome in our area too. You will be an asset to the team that embraces your spirit. Hang in there, lots of teams will welcome a good and honest player.

Kerbouchard
08-26-2008, 12:16 PM
I spent a little over 4 years in San Diego. Well, minus the 14 months I spent in the Gulf.

I used to play up at the Hungry Stick and a few of the dive bars in Imperial Beach and Chulauana.

Deeman3
08-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Kernouchard,

Nice blog, thanks for your service. Get in with Spiderman, he can pass for a 7 but shoots like a ten. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

If in Texas, what caliber pistol do you carry with you in the bars? JK /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Kerbouchard
08-26-2008, 12:48 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kernouchard,

Nice blog, thanks for your service. Get in with Spiderman, he can pass for a 7 but shoots like a ten. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

If in Texas, what caliber pistol do you carry with you in the bars? JK /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>
Kimber 1911 in .45 acp, but in Texas I can't carry into a bar, so my Kimber goes in the car safe before I enter.

Hopefully we will eventually get that changed so we can carry everywhere.

MAC
08-26-2008, 03:50 PM
It got shot down here, but it would be nice to carry in a bar. It just cant be done because they cant check everyone thats drinking to see if they have a handgun on them. I have a Kimber Ultra Carry 2 that I have carried for the past 4 years I cant find anything I like that packs a punch like the .45 ACP does.

Kerbouchard
08-28-2008, 12:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It got shot down here, but it would be nice to carry in a bar. It just cant be done because they cant check everyone thats drinking to see if they have a handgun on them. </div></div>

By that logic, bars shouldn't have parking lots. And people shouldn't be allowed to conceal car keys on their person, either.

MAC
08-28-2008, 02:20 PM
This is true, but the last think you want especially here in TN is a bunch of gun toting drunks in all the bars. Heck I know a few places around here that dont even serve beer in a bottle, only cans.

BigRigTom
08-28-2008, 05:29 PM
I went in one of those state line joints in So. Pittsburg once and I thought they did all have concealed guns of some kind anyways.

Love those redneck biker bars tho.....no better place to play pool and have a few cold ones.

Scott Lee
08-28-2008, 09:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kerbouchard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know how prominent sandbagging is in DFW, but every captain I have talked to about joining says they need me to stay at a 4 or at most a 5 to play. From playing APA and BCA players, most people would consider me a very strong six or an average seven. In other words, I could not get by as a 4.

Has anybody else had that problem? And other than starting my own team, is there any solution? </div></div>

Kerbouchard...Welcome to the CCB. Personally I would NEVER join a team, where they tried to tell me how to play...to deliberately play down my skill. Some people will disagree, but sandbagging is not as bad in the APA, overall, as some people make it out to be. It is a social league, and if everyone would just play their best (and mark the scoresheets correctly), the system works just fine. Hope you find a good team to play on in Dallas. The APA is not very strong there yet, but a good friend of mine is an APA league operator in Ft. Worth. If you'd like to contact him, email me (PM function won't work to reach me here, as I have far too many).

Scott Lee
email: poolology@aol.com

Kerbouchard
08-29-2008, 06:30 AM
I think I found a team.

It's 6, 5, 5, 2, 2. So I should fit right in. It just looks like we'll rotate the one of the higher ranked players so we'll sit out once a month when I finally settle in to a SL.

It sure is going to be fun getting to play as a 4 for a few weeks.

Thanks for giving me a chance to vent.

Regards,
Kerb

BigRigTom
08-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Congratulation!
Welcome to the APA and you have to come back in about 3 months, once you have an established handicap and let us know what you think then.
Tell us if you changed your mind about anything and if so, what.
Tell us what your Skill level is after 10 matches...that is when it will start to level out.

Kerbouchard
08-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Oh, it's not that easy...you're not getting rid of me for 3 months. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

BigRigTom
08-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Once again, I am misunderstand.

Post all you want, post every day!

Just remind us and remember yourself and let's see if you mood, opinions and outlook change and in which direction.

Rich R.
08-29-2008, 05:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kerbouchard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I found a team.

It's 6, 5, 5, 2, 2. So I should fit right in. It just looks like we'll rotate the one of the higher ranked players so we'll sit out once a month when I finally settle in to a SL.

It sure is going to be fun getting to play as a 4 for a few weeks.

Thanks for giving me a chance to vent.

Regards,
Kerb </div></div>
Congrats on finding a team and the SL mix seems perfect for you. There is plenty of room for you to play your best and move up.

Like Tom, I would also like to hear about your progress.

Kerbouchard
09-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Well, I played my first match yesterday. I thought I would enjoy it a lot more, but the team I played made that impossible. My captain decided to put me up first and they put up their only six against me.

I had never seen him before, but I believe somebody told him who I was, and he was incredibly rude because I was playing as a '4'. He called me just about every name under the sun, and wouldn't even shake hands after the match. In fact, he just left.

I guess I can understand why he was upset and I actually felt really bad about the SL variance. I'm not sure if he was a little rattled about the whole thing or if he was trying to throw the game but the match wasn't even close.

I lost the first game because I scratched on the 8 on a bizarre, weird 'how did that happen' kind of thing. He broke the second game, made a few balls and missed, and I ran the table. The third game I broke and ran, and the fourth game I made 7 and got bad shape on the 8 and missed a kick shot, but he missed and left me a straight in 8.

In any case, out of the 4 games we played, we had 2 innings, and I had two break and runs, so I doubt I'll be a 4 next week.

This is going to get expensive. I didn't know that I had to pay an extra dollar every time I make the 8 on the break or run the table, or any of their other weird patches. I figure they should pay me the dollar.

Oh, well.

Anyway, I enjoyed it(except for their attitudes), and will like it a lot more when I settle out to whatever my proper SL is.

I really did not like being called a sandbagging son of a ....

InTheZone
09-10-2008, 08:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kerbouchard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I played my first match yesterday. I thought I would enjoy it a lot more, but the team I played made that impossible. My captain decided to put me up first and they put up their only six against me.

I had never seen him before, but I believe somebody told him who I was, and he was incredibly rude because I was playing as a '4'. He called me just about every name under the sun, and wouldn't even shake hands after the match. In fact, he just left.

I guess I can understand why he was upset and I actually felt really bad about the SL variance. I'm not sure if he was a little rattled about the whole thing or if he was trying to throw the game but the match wasn't even close.

I lost the first game because I scratched on the 8 on a bizarre, weird 'how did that happen' kind of thing. He broke the second game, made a few balls and missed, and I ran the table. The third game I broke and ran, and the fourth game I made 7 and got bad shape on the 8 and missed a kick shot, but he missed and left me a straight in 8.

In any case, out of the 4 games we played, we had 2 innings, and I had two break and runs, so I doubt I'll be a 4 next week.

This is going to get expensive. I didn't know that I had to pay an extra dollar every time I make the 8 on the break or run the table, or any of their other weird patches. I figure they should pay me the dollar.

Oh, well.

Anyway, I enjoyed it(except for their attitudes), and will like it a lot more when I settle out to whatever my proper SL is.

I really did not like being called a sandbagging son of a .... </div></div>

Kerbouchard, hang in there. The issue here is the APA statistical approach, that all new male players start out as a SL4, is not always sound. Where I play, when a new player shows up to join league play (someone who has not yet been in the APA), the division rep sets them up to play a few racks with a seasoned player to establish whether this new players SL is above a 4. This helps to bring in the new player at a level closer to how they really play and makes it easier for them to transition into the APA without other players accusing them of sandbagging.

Of course, your captain is probably happy that your playing above your level and would like to see you stay a 4 for a long time!

Give the APA a chance and don't let the poor attitudes of other players get to you. As with anything else, there are both good and bad players in the APA (I don't mean SL as a reference here). Take the good and leave the bad behind.

Rich R.
09-10-2008, 09:40 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kerbouchard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is going to get expensive. I didn't know that I had to pay an extra dollar every time I make the 8 on the break or run the table, or any of their other weird patches. I figure they should pay me the dollar.</div></div>

The patches and pins are optional. You don't have to buy them.
My wife likes to collect them, so I usually get them when I'm able. It is your choice.

BTW, don't worry about the idiots and your SL. You SL will bounce around for a few weeks, depending on you matches. It will tend to get more stable with more matches and it will eventually settle in a the level you should be. The idiots know that it works this way and it is the same for every new APA player. They just like to complain.

BigRigTom
09-10-2008, 12:47 PM
There are all kinds in the APA but if you have the right attitude you will gravitate to the others who have the right attitude and it will be a good experience all around.

Of course the oppisite is true as well.
Sounds like you just drew one of the rotten apples from the barrel....just bob you head again and the next one will probably be a lot sweeter tasting.

We also played our 1st 8 ball match Monday night. My son just joined an APA 8 ball team and as it worked out his team was matched up against my team on the 1st night.

Here is the bummer though.
My son played one match on my team 2 years ago as a 4 (his 1st ever match in APA) 8 ball. He lost that match to a 3! That put his skill level at a 2 and then had to leave the team due to some other personal commitments, he never played another match.
Bottom line he came back to the APA Monday night and he started out as a TWO! In the last couple of years I have worked with him and he has several friends who also work with him plus he plays APA 9 ball (he is a really strong 4 in 9 ball). Well needless to say as a 2 he totally kicked but against one of our new players who also started as a new 4.

It will be interesting to see the ranking of my new player who lost to a 2 and the ranking of my SL2 son who whupped up on that 4 because he was lucky enough to play at the ranking that was set 2 years ago.

Be aware I am not complaining, I am merely describing the events as they occurred and I wish my son had been on my team Monday night as a 2, instead of playing against us....darn it.

Nick Leider
09-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Hey guys, just started posting here on the CCB. I'm Nick Leider, the associate editor of BD (Robin to Mason's Batman, you could say). Anyway, I write the 'beginner's guide' column, so I thought I'd ask a question.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am curious about something to do with APA SLs. Like every other guy player, I started out a 4. After 6 matches, I'm pretty confident I'm an above-average 4, but not nearly ready to get bumped to a 5.

So, if I continually beat 3s and 4s in 5-7 innings, will I get moved up? I'm way too competitive to think about sandbagging; I just don't want to become a 5 when I know I'm not good enough.

I know there is some super top-secret calculus formula to figure out handicaps, but I'm curious what kind of impact your winning percentage (in matches) has on your SL.

Thanks!

Nick

Ironman
09-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Nick,

Not sure if you'll move up given your past results (winning is nice, but 5-7 innings feels slightly high for a 5, but I'm no expert).

Anyway, if I were you I would definitely push the captain to match you up against some 5s and 6s. If you still win, and do so without the handicap (so you beat them at least 3-2 or even 3-3) then you can be pretty confident that you'll still play well as a 5. On the other hand, if you start losing then you're probably correct in your assessment that you're a strong 4.

Have fun moving up in skill level and let us know how playing the better players goes.

Rich R.
09-10-2008, 07:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nick Leider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, just started posting here on the CCB. I'm Nick Leider, the associate editor of BD (Robin to Mason's Batman, you could say). Anyway, I write the 'beginner's guide' column, so I thought I'd ask a question.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am curious about something to do with APA SLs. Like every other guy player, I started out a 4. After 6 matches, I'm pretty confident I'm an above-average 4, but not nearly ready to get bumped to a 5.

So, if I continually beat 3s and 4s in 5-7 innings, will I get moved up? I'm way too competitive to think about sandbagging; I just don't want to become a 5 when I know I'm not good enough.

I know there is some super top-secret calculus formula to figure out handicaps, but I'm curious what kind of impact your winning percentage (in matches) has on your SL.

Thanks!

Nick </div></div>
Hi Nick. Your name sounds familiar. Did I deal with you concerning the use of a photo of a female player in my area?

It doesn't matter. Welcome to the CCB.

I won't pretend to know the magic calculations of the APA. All I can do is recommend that you do what I have always done. That is play your best, regardless of who you play against, and enjoy the game. The skill level will take care of itself. Too many people get all caught up in the handicaps and forget to enjoy playing the game.

Nick Leider
09-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Yeah, I think my best bet is to start playing some 5s and 6s. I think I've fallen into a pattern of playing to my opponent's skill level, so the higher handicaps will force me to bring my best game.

And after a particularly sour performance last night, I'm thinking of playing in a 'single board' tournament at my poolhall this weekend. Not exactly sure what this is, but I heard it's separated by handicap, so I should get a sense of where I stand among the 4s.

Thanks for the advice, gentlemen. Hopefully I'll get those innings down to 3-5 in no time.

SpiderMan
09-11-2008, 09:23 AM
APA seems to have changed a little since I last particpated. We never had to pay extra for the patches.

Also, in the Dallas league 5 years ago, most of the bars paid the weekly dues for all their teams. I suppose they got the money back in table coins for games played anyway, plus every match put 10 people in the place all night, and at any given time 8 of them have nothing to do but drink /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

BTW, if you want your skill level to "settle out" faster, just tell your LO and you can be raised immediately. He can manually change your rating in the computer, and your weeks to follow will determine whether the league software moves you again. So, if you can convince him you are a 7, just have him change your rating. My LO moved me from a 4 to a 7 the first week.

SpiderMan

Rich R.
09-11-2008, 10:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">APA seems to have changed a little since I last particpated. We never had to pay extra for the patches.

<span style="color: #FF0000">I think this depends on the LO. In my area we pay, but I have heard of other areas where the pins and patches are free. </span>

Also, in the Dallas league 5 years ago, most of the bars paid the weekly dues for all their teams.
<span style="color: #FF0000">I think the APA frowns on this practice. In the APA Team Manual, General Rules Item #34, they discuss players receiving incentives. They consider payment of all or part of the league fees by the host location contrary to the interest of the league. They do say, that a host location offering certain benefits to all players, playing out of their location, is "probably acceptable". However, offering special deals to a few highly skilled players is not acceptable. </span>

I suppose they got the money back in table coins for games played anyway, plus every match put 10 people in the place all night, and at any given time 8 of them have nothing to do but drink /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

BTW, if you want your skill level to "settle out" faster, just tell your LO and you can be raised immediately. He can manually change your rating in the computer, and your weeks to follow will determine whether the league software moves you again. So, if you can convince him you are a 7, just have him change your rating. My LO moved me from a 4 to a 7 the first week.

SpiderMan </div></div>

Kerbouchard
09-12-2008, 07:46 AM
I'll let you guys know next Tuesday what he moved me up to. I'm guessing 6 or 7.

Thanks for the advice, and I will follow up. I just hope most of the teams are in it to have fun and compete instead of taking everything too seriously.

JimW
09-12-2008, 10:37 AM
This is my first post on BD. I came across the this forum by accident, and I'm glad I did. Being a newcomer to the APA, (I played in a summer league as a replacement) I find the opinions open and refreshing. I will be looking for a fall 8 ball team and an 9 ball. I have a question that needs an answer. There is a team that wants me (8 ball. I am a 3 right now by virtue of being new to competition and being a little nervous. The problem is, they are on the bottom of the division and I doubt will ever go any higher.Believe me, they are all nice people. I am not being an elitist here, far from it. It is just that if I'm paying to play I think I would like to hook up with a team that at least has some chance of making the playoffs.
On the other hand I feel that I could be an asset to this team and maybe help them out of the cellar. As I mentioned before, I'm a 3, but I normally play (outside of the league) to a strong 4. I have beat some of my friends who are 5s.
I would like to hear some honest opinions.

New2Pool
09-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Based on your screen name I am assuming you are a guy so you will start as a 4 in 8-ball. I am new to APA and I would love to be on the team you describe for my first time playing in the league. Then as you play other teams you can see who you might like to play with next time and who you don't. That way you know that at worse case you have a good time this season and who knows, you might get lucky and help your team over perform. If you start with a different team then you are not as likely to have fun and there is no guarantee of success.

But I guess it comes down to whether you want to optimize your chances of having fun or of making the playoffs. Neither option precludes doing both but APA has three sessions per year so chose a strategy and enjoy it. If your strategy does not work this session there is always the next time.

BigRigTom
09-15-2008, 11:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigRigTom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
We also played our 1st 8 ball match Monday night. My son just joined an APA 8 ball team and as it worked out his team was matched up against my team on the 1st night.

Here is the bummer though.
My son played one match on my team 2 years ago as a 4 (his 1st ever match in APA) 8 ball. He lost that match to a 3! That put his skill level at a 2 and then had to leave the team due to some other personal commitments, he never played another match.
Bottom line he came back to the APA Monday night and he started out as a TWO! In the last couple of years I have worked with him and he has several friends who also work with him plus he plays APA 9 ball (he is a really strong 4 in 9 ball). Well needless to say as a 2 he totally kicked but against one of our new players who also started as a new 4.

It will be interesting to see the ranking of my new player who lost to a 2 and the ranking of my SL2 son who whupped up on that 4 because he was lucky enough to play at the ranking that was set 2 years ago.

Be aware I am not complaining, I am merely describing the events as they occurred and I wish my son had been on my team Monday night as a 2, instead of playing against us....darn it.</div></div>

The results are in:
My new player who started as a 4 went down to a 3, My son who played that match as a 2 went up to a 3.

My other new player who started as a 4 and lost to a 3 (he lost 2 to 1 in a hill/hill match) went down to a 3 and that 3 that beat him remained a 3.

This is pretty much what we figured would happen and I know my son will keep going up to a 4 or maybe even a 5 depending on who he plays and how badly he beats the next few people he faces.
The APA system works but it does take a while for it to be true and fair rankings, that is just part of the game.