PDA

View Full Version : Iraq Demands Deadline

Gayle in MD
08-25-2008, 11:01 AM
<span style="color: #000066">Maliki has been asking for a deadline for withdrawel for months now. I guess Bush and McCain will resist for as long as possible, given they don't like the obvious agreement between Democratics, and the Iraqi Leader to be completely in synch, while they, the Republican Party occupiers, refuse to get out!</span>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BAGHDAD Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said Monday no security agreement with the United States could be reached unless it included a "specific deadline" for the withdrawal of all American troops from Iraq.

Last week, U.S. and Iraqi officials said the two sides had agreed tentatively to a schedule which included a broad pullout of combat forces by the end of 2011 with a residual U.S. force remaining behind to continue training and advising the Iraqi security forces.

But al-Maliki's remarks Monday suggested that the Iraqi government is still not satisfied with that arrangement. An aide to the prime minister said Monday that Iraq remained adamant that the last American soldier must leave Iraq by the end of 2011 _ regardless of conditions at the time.

The official, like others who spoke about the specifics of the debate, spoke on condition of anonymity because the text had not been approved by either government.

President Bush has long resisted a timetable for pulling out troops from Iraq, even under heavy pressure from a nation distressed by American deaths and discouraged by the length of the war that began in 2003.

"There can be no treaty or agreement except on the basis of Iraq's full sovereignty," al-Maliki told a gathering of tribal sheiks. He said such an agreement must be based on the principle that "no foreign soldier remains in Iraq after a specific deadline, not an open time frame."

White House spokesman Tony Fratto said negotiations with the Iraqis continued, but reiterated the U.S. stance depended on conditions in Iraq.

"We're optimistic that Iraq and the U.S. can reach a mutual agreement on flexible goals for U.S. troops to continue to return on success _ based on conditions on the ground _ and allow Iraqi forces to provide security for a sovereign Iraq," he said in Crawford, Texas.

</div></div>
<span style="color: #000066">Bush gobble-de-gook for where's the oil contracts.</span>

wolfdancer
08-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Can you believe, after all we've done for them....asking us to leave?
I have a great idea...since GWB is not eligible for a third term (I didn't think he was eligible for the first two either, but..)I believe the next President should appoint him Commander of our forces in Iraq...and take advantage of his military expertise...
With 7 years as the "war president" ...you just can't buy that kind of know-how...

sack316
08-25-2008, 11:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> [color:#000066]Maliki has been asking for a deadline for withdrawel for months now. I guess Bush and McCain will resist for as long as possible
</div></div>

Gayle, you're losing your touch I think.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/19/world/middleeast/19iraq.html?ref=world

President Bush agreed to “a general time horizon” for withdrawing American troops in Iraq, the White House announced Friday, in a concession that reflected both progress in stabilizing Iraq and the depth of political opposition to an open-ended military presence in Iraq and at home.

No matter what, I don't think the admin will ever call it a "timetable", but by most accounts it is seeming that the (insert synonym for timetable here) will be around 2011/12.

Sack

Gayle in MD
08-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Sack,
I could say the same of you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BAGHDAD Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said Monday no security agreement with the United States could be reached unless it included a "specific deadline" for the withdrawal of all American troops from Iraq.

</div></div>

He (Maliki) want's a Specific deadline for withdrawal. Not a general time horizon for withdrawal.

Regardless, it's obvious, Maliki, and the Democratics, are in agreement. Bush is pushing to stay, and also to be the one to call the shots on leaving. I guess the King hasn't realized yet that his reign of terror will end in January, but then, he never did, did he? He tried to make everything he did permanent, including his voodoo economics.

Regardless of what he calls it, most of us realize that a timeline for withdrawal has a specific end date. Maybe the King is hoping for another completely chaotic onslaught of sectarian violence, to buy more time for his cronies to settle their oil contracts? And to hell with our suicidal troops!

He's truly repulsive.

sack316
08-25-2008, 12:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Gayle, you're losing your touch I think.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sack,
I could say the same of you.
</div></div>

You could not say such a thing. In order for me to lose my touch, that would require me having said "touch" in the first place /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

pooltchr
08-25-2008, 03:18 PM
sack,
I would bet he would go balistic if GW said "Fine, we'll bring them all home next week and you are on your own. Good Luck!" He knows he couldn't remain in power right now without US support.

He's a politician, and he says what he thinks he is supposed to say.