PDA

View Full Version : She's got my vote

wolfdancer
08-25-2008, 11:55 PM
I just watched Michelle's intro on the BET channel...she's going to be a great First Lady !!!!
WHF is Or'eilly doing covering the Dem convention...and trying his best to get his digs in?
Fox didn't have a reporter, and not a biased commentator, to cover the convention fairly?

sack316
08-26-2008, 07:05 AM
They've got like the whole studio out there covering it. I just kept flipping channels back and forth between Bill O. And Keith O. to balance myself out last night.

But in all fairness, last night she did do a great job. The right speech in the right place at the right time. She did well by telling her story, but not dwelling on "sympathy factors". She spoke of hardhsips, and as well mixed in the hard work and successes to keep the tone towards the hope and change theme. And then the icing on the cake was the via satellite conversation at the end with her and the kids talking to Dad.

All in all I think she did a great job, and may have won over a lot of critics last night

Sack--- see he can be fair, unbiased, and observing... when there is actually something to praise. Last night was just such an instance

Deeman3
08-26-2008, 07:34 AM
I was impressed by her speech. Although she probably does not care. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Gayle in MD
08-26-2008, 07:52 AM
She surely won me over last night! I thought she was fabulous. She would definitely make a great first lady. The little girs were just adorable, too.

Just for future reference, I found that if I really wanted to hear the speakers without all the pundits, putting in their two cents, talking over speeches, etc., C-Span had uninterrupted coverage. A great deal better than trying to watch the evening on cable news channels, with all the commercials, and pundit talk.

Ted Kennedy, was also great. The man deserves a lot of respect for his determination and courage.

I also thought Michelle's brother, and Obama's half sister, were very impressive.

A very uplifting evening, all in all.

Gayle in Md.

sack316
08-26-2008, 07:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I also thought Michelle's brother, and Obama's half sister, were very impressive.

Gayle in Md. </div></div>

Too early for me. I absolutely read that wrong the first time and thought maybe they were from the south afterall /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

Deeman3
08-26-2008, 08:21 AM
While I enjoyed Ms. Obama's speech, I did not think much to Teddy's but at least this may be the last we see of the Kennedy and Clinton dynasty. As much as I have not been excited about Obama he will at least break the cycle of Clintons and Kennedys to begin a new era in the Democratic Party. What he makes of it will determine much of their future success but even if he fails, a new, potentially less criminal party leadership is at least possible. Maybe a break from the sale of government by both Republicans and Democrats.

I will even bear through Hillary's painful self advertisement tonight as long as we can be comfortable we have seen the last of her in the national spotlight for a few years. Obama went way up on a lot of people's scales when he did not pick her as VP. Of course, I feel her pain. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
08-26-2008, 10:54 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I will even bear through Hillary's painful self advertisement tonight as long as we can be comfortable we have seen the last of her in the national spotlight for a few years. </div></div>

If Obama loses, it will only be a couple of years /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

eg8r
08-26-2008, 11:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fox didn't have a reporter, and not a biased commentator, to cover the convention fairly?</div></div>Why should they? It is painfully obvious that is not what America wants. If America wanted that then Fox would not hold the ratings like they do.

eg8r

eg8r
08-26-2008, 11:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also thought Michelle's brother, and Obama's half sister, were very impressive.</div></div>I am sorry, but I was very busy last night trying to get my stimulus-check-driven vacation off the ground, but I wanted to know what everyone thought when Obama's half brother came out? He made the trip right?

eg8r

eg8r
08-26-2008, 11:06 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I enjoyed Ms. Obama's speech, I did not think much to Teddy's but at least this may be the last we see of the Kennedy and Clinton dynasty. </div></div>Wouldn't that be a miracle?

eg8r

Gayle in MD
08-26-2008, 12:46 PM
I don't think you've seen the last of Hillary, by far. She's still a Senator, and she's still a work horse, with a long held determination to help people, and particularly women and children. She will continue to be one of the hardest working Senators on the Hill, just as Ted Kennedy have proven himself to be.

Hillary will rise to the occasion tonight, and make a rousing speech, pulling the party even further together, as will Bill. I am very excited about forrmer Virginia governor, Mark Warner's speech, as he was my hope for the presidency, but he decided to run for the Senate, instead.

As for the Kennedy's, if Ted doesn't make it through his illness, I think you may see Caroline running in his place. Just a hunch. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Gayle in Md.

Deeman3
08-26-2008, 01:28 PM
I agree we have not seen the last of Hillary. It is time for her to step aside and let the minorities have the Democratic Party. She will continue to serve in the Senate where she will be effective if somehwt diminished, as it should be. Huckabee, for instance, lost and now needs to let the winner go foreward. I think Hillary can focus on more on women's issues and driving out more evil capitolists out of the country while fronting the real driver of the economy, the government. You can't say she didn't make a fight out of the primary!

I think the Caroline move would be easy and smart as just her name will get her the job in Mass. Good call there! However, I don't think she will be able to have as much of a negative impact as Ted did. I think we may be seing the end of the dynasty era for the Kennedys, the Clintons and the Bush's as well. Rich white people will never rule the Democratic Party again and, in amny ways, that's a good thing. It could happen with the Republicans if McCain would select Kay Bailey Hutchinson or a real Hispanic VP. Much of this election may be drawn across race lines in some areas but pretty soon minority candidates will be the norm. My guess is that the Hispanic population will rule politics in as few as 12 years.

If Hillary makes that rousing speech, she will help Obama but knows it will be the death nell of her ambitions beyond the Senate. She's not that senior there and not that well liked on her side of the isle and her past and probably future legal problems will not let her get a Supream CT. appointment nor on Obama's staff. I think a gun was put to Ms. Obama's head to say the name Hillary last night and most seemed to kow that.

I do think Ms. Obama may have swung the undecided single mother vote last night, she was that effective.

I think Biden will make some errors but he was a good, safe selection and could make the difference in a close election. I always thought he was the best the Democrats had to offer this year, just ahead of Hillary but I didn't fear Biden's past nor felt he was the type to hold grudges that would hurt the country as I did with Hillary. Again, she can be an historic figure if she continues in the Senate and gets over the setback.

Deeman3
08-26-2008, 01:45 PM
Nice Article on Mrs. Obama by Dick Morris. I think he was fair and balanced here.

By: Dick Morris

�I love this country�: Those are the magic words that Michelle Obama said at the Democratic National Convention last night.

They�re the words we�ve wanted to hear from her ever since we saw her say that she was proud of her country �for the first time in my adult life� now that her husband was winning primaries en route to the White House.

Did she buy into the American Dream? Was she part of our national aspiration � or part of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright�s twisted view of us? Those were the questions we wanted answered. Last night, she answered, loud and clear.

We�ve watched the scripted familial intimacies Hillary Clinton always shares from the podium and wondered if they had been focus grouped. We�ve watched Teresa Heinz Kerry�s vaulting ambition at the 2004 Democratic Convention and wondered if she was really human.

But this year we saw an eloquent, sincere woman speaking of her dreams and aspirations. She gave a speech that sounded real with anecdotes that seemed genuine.

Michelle Obama last night became a political plus, not a problem.

We worried that Barack was an elitist. But her speech made it clear that she wasn�t born as part of the elite and that he wasn�t either. Her genuine working-class stories transcended race and rang true with Americans.

Chopstick
08-26-2008, 02:03 PM
I like Dick Morris. He makes a lot of sense.

sack316
08-26-2008, 11:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Fox didn't have a reporter, and not a biased commentator, to cover the convention fairly?
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I just kept flipping channels back and forth between Bill O. And Keith O. to balance myself out last night.
</div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I have no comment

Sack

wolfdancer
08-26-2008, 11:43 PM
I though Oh'Really made an ass out of himself
that's my comment

wolfdancer
08-26-2008, 11:46 PM
It's the convention, Ed....there's enough spin going on inside without having to listen to bill's colorized interpretation of events.
The convention is the news...not that pos

sack316
08-26-2008, 11:48 PM
So did Keith, IMO. He seemed to become speechless trying to force the fake tears he so often seems to try to do. I'm not being silly here, he really seemed like he was trying to cry before he passed the buck to Matthews... who was actually quite good... and even he looked a little disturbed by Olberman in his facial expressions.

But at any rate, the point was to your original statement, to which I simply reply apparently what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Sack

wolfdancer
08-26-2008, 11:52 PM
I'd vote for her...but still undecided about Barack...
Anyway he's out according to Steve...just another undocumented illegal immigrant that has finally been exposed. I wouldn't be surprised to see him deported to Kenya....

wolfdancer
08-26-2008, 11:53 PM
See cares; she's counting on your vote, or your no-vote....either one works....

eg8r
08-27-2008, 07:19 AM
Again wolf, you obviously are not aware of what Americans want to see. If you take a look at the ratings you will see Fox is doing what people want.

eg8r

Deeman3
08-27-2008, 07:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">See cares; she's counting on your vote, or your no-vote....either one works.... </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000"> She can count on that no vote. Any candidate, no matter the party, has to earn my vote and McCain clearly has not. Just being the opposition to a bad choice is no longer enough for me. </span>