PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing tournament victory

Kato
08-11-2002, 09:45 PM
I played in and won a small 11 man 9-ball tournament tonight. Played very well all throughout the tournament easily winning all the way (3 matches) through my bracket. Choked my way to the money in the finals. I was extremely lucky, missing a 2-9 combination in which the 9 ball traveled 3 rails to give me the win. It also helps that my opponent figured out a way to give the match away everytime I played a poor safety or missed a shot.

I'm [happy] for the win but disappointed in my finals performance. Just thought I'd share.

Kato~~~got every roll that counted tonight.

Karatemom
08-11-2002, 10:44 PM
I've been there, not at 1st place yet, but close. A win is a win, regardless of how it happened. I'll be happy for ya, even if you're not, LOL.

Heide ~ gets her chance tomorrow night, and Wednesday, too!!!

Rod
08-11-2002, 10:47 PM
Kato, not to worry it happens. How many times have you been the victim of such?

08-11-2002, 11:28 PM
partial snip:

Choked my way to the money in the finals. I was extremely lucky, missing a 2-9 combination in which the 9 ball traveled 3 rails to give me the win. It also helps that my opponent figured out a way to give the match away everytime I played a poor safety or missed a shot.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::

Congratulations on the win & on playing well in the early rounds.
Sometimes all that is necessary to win a game. round or even a tournament is to choke less or make fewer mistakes then your opponet. It's good you realize you didn't play your best. This way you can improve on that in future tournaments. I'm sure you'll be winning more of these tournaments now and some will take your best games in the finals also. Congratulations again. Keep up the good work.

Chris Cass
08-12-2002, 02:13 AM
Kato,

Although, sometimes we get lucky or your opponent doesn't, it happens. Sometimes we shoot our best and other times we just, manage to get through it. It's consistancy that we all strive for. None of the games we play are perfect. Pool in general is not a perfect game. Our equipment, that we play on and we use to play with, isn't perfect.

Don't down play your win. Winning a tourney is still winning. It shows you what it takes sometimes, to win. You might not had a star studded field or get a roll or two but this is all covered under 9ball rules. Not being happy for the way we shoot sometimes or just being satisfied with our play is normal. Take that feeling of the win and enjoy it. Remember, what you felt to get there. Take a lucky break or a good roll with a grain of salt. The main thing is you've won. That says a lot about you. Your a winner...

Oh, the second worst thing in this game, is a whinning winner. Like the guy who complains, when he's taking your doe. Your killing me champ.....

Regards,

C.C.~~my S.W. isn't perfect but it's damm close..lol

phil in sofla
08-12-2002, 03:11 AM
So you stumbled across the finish line? Think of it this way. Had you snapped in the 9 on the break for the win, would you feel the same way, even though it was the same luck factor with a hard paced shot doing the trick?

Seems like you backed into 1st, but you had already done the hard work to where the opponent had to beat you two matches, from the loser side. That was daunting enough that your opponent folded, from how it sounds.

You should have had the 2-9 combo for the victory anyway. Your opponent didn't deserve to win if they didn't capitalize on your errors, and wouldn't have gotten out from the 2 if the 9 hadn't gone. You followed most of the rules of going for the early 9 (don't scratch, and hit with some pace so as not to leave another combo hanging if you miss), and got a roll.

Just as people don't think of the free throws missed in the 1st quarter, only at the end, most people getting through to win the whole thing have some roll or opponent's miss of an out along the way that helped them advance.

When I won Ernie's first tournament, I had to win from the loser side, beating him twice in the finals. He made some unforced errors to help give it to me, even scratching on the 8 before the case 9 ball. Same thing along the way, courtesy Paul and George (George, by not playing me, knocking himself out the round before playing Gabe).

But there isn't any asterisk beside the winner's name, however it happens. And you're a winner, even if not in the style you'd like at the end. Good job.

Kato
08-12-2002, 06:25 AM
Both tournaments I've been in the finals I've won/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif. Usually, I choke long before that/ccboard/images/icons/tongue.gif.

Kato

Ralph S.
08-12-2002, 10:11 AM
Congrats!!!!!!!!! Sometimes we all need a little luck, but the what counts is the end result, the big W!
Ralph S.

Kato
08-12-2002, 11:00 AM
What I'm concerned about is how I felt. The guy I played I can pretty much handle. I had no pressure, yet felt it. I talked to myself, forgot all the bad shots, did the right things. Sometimes luck prevails but you can't count on it forever.

Kato~~~definitely playing lotto this week.

Kato
08-12-2002, 11:05 AM
By the way Phil. As a 2 time winner I now give up the 8 to the field, save George and Ernie.

Kato~~~has to give Phil the 8 now? Just like old times huh Phil?

08-12-2002, 12:13 PM
Yeah, is it any wonder there are so few 3 time winners? Half thought you were dogging it in the finals to avoid that fate, LOL!

And, I'm modest. You can give me the 8 anytime, not just in that tourny!

Kato
08-12-2002, 12:17 PM
Thought crossed my mind, but just for a second.

Kato~~~needs the 8 from Phil

Karatemom
08-12-2002, 01:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> By the way Phil. As a 2 time winner I now give up the 8 to the field, save George and Ernie.

Kato~~~has to give Phil the 8 now? Just like old times huh Phil? <hr></blockquote>

Wanna hear a good one? If Chris and I play each other in a tourney at the newest ph this Wednesday, he has to give me the 3 out.

Heide ~ loving every bit of it

Kato
08-12-2002, 02:11 PM
I'll take KarateMom for a couple of rubles.

Kato~~~does anybody have a ruble?

Karatemom
08-12-2002, 03:12 PM
I'd say my chances are good. C.C.'s been hitting them pretty good, but then again, so have I, hahahahahahaha.

Heide ~ out for blood

Tom_In_Cincy
08-12-2002, 05:21 PM
Some times you have to play your best game to win, and some times you have to avoid playing your worst game and still win.

Pool (even in the pros) is not about being perfect all the time, it about making less mistakes than your opponent.

Had you considered that your opponent was intimidated by your luck, or skill, or both, that they just couldn't handle the situation? And, you did.. congrats..

Kato
08-12-2002, 09:53 PM
Thanks Tom. Maybe that's just what I need to hear. Now I gotta buckle down giving weight to the world (well not the world, just my circle). Good practice for the CCB/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif.

Kato

Chris Cass
08-13-2002, 12:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Karatemom:</font><hr>
Wanna hear a good one? If Chris and I play each other in a tourney at the newest ph this Wednesday, he has to give me the 3 out.
Heide ~ loving every bit of it <hr></blockquote>

I've been around this game since I was 8 yrs old. I can't win no matter what. I know what happens if I win, and I know what doesn't happen if I win. LOL

C.C.~~beat before I start......