PDA

View Full Version : Room Addition

jht1953
08-27-2008, 10:43 AM
My wife has recently given me "permission" to enlarge our living room to acomodate a 9 footer. God bless her! The room right now is a little too small, there is a screened in porch, which, if enclosed would make about 20 x 25 room. My question is this, of all you folks who have a game room, is there anything you wish you did to it or something you would have set up differently if you could do it all over again? Also any tips on dealing with contractors? Any input would be greatly appreciated

Brian in VA
08-27-2008, 08:02 PM
The only thing I'd have done differently would be to have done it sooner!

Seriously, think about seating for players. My room is just big enough for 2 or 3 to play and even then seating is a little tighter than I'd like. 4 is really tight and more than that just gets uncomfortable, at least for real players. If we're having a party, no one seems to mind.

Brian in VA

Tony_in_MD
08-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Echo Brian's post on seating.

Also if you can eliminate posts which can interfere with the game. This is the one thing I wish I would have done. Since this does not sound like a basement remodel this may not be a problem for you.

Check out the structure of the porch, see if it can take the load of a pool table.

av84fun
08-27-2008, 10:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jht1953</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My wife has recently given me "permission" to enlarge our living room to acomodate a 9 footer. God bless her! The room right now is a little too small, there is a screened in porch, which, if enclosed would make about 20 x 25 room. My question is this, of all you folks who have a game room, is there anything you wish you did to it or something you would have set up differently if you could do it all over again? Also any tips on dealing with contractors? Any input would be greatly appreciated </div></div>

Get references and actually call them!!

If he works "time and materials" then he can work slowly and rob you.

If you have him bid a fixed price, he will load on a "fudge factor"...usually a pretty large one.

I prefer to work with the contractor on a time and materials basis but with a "soft cap" on the amount of time beyond which he gets 50% of his normal billing rate.

Whether on a fixed price contract or T&M, pay up front for only for materiails and pay the time on a percentage of competion basis.

Negotiate what exact progress must be made before he is entitled to a "draw."

Total draws to full completion should not exceed 85% of total project cost and the final 15% is payable on full completion and satisfactory resolution of all "punch list" items. (reasonable touch up/fix up issues.).

If the contractor won't work that way either get another contractor or prepare to make a new enemy in your life...which is the way a LOT of contractor/client relationships end up.

Regards,
Jim

(-:

1Time
08-27-2008, 11:56 PM
Use elevated seating like bar stools/chairs that are not too close together with corresponding places to put drinks.

Be careful what you put in the room near the foot end of the table, or a flying cue ball could be a problem.

Use adequate direct table lighting with the option to also use lower intensity indirect room lighting.

JoeW
08-28-2008, 06:40 AM
TV hooked to cable, DVD/VCR,camera and computer.
Seems that once a week or so I would like to shoot videos of self (for training) and friends for various reasons. The computer would let me watch some Pool vids on the net.

We started a photo wall with pics of all those who play at the house. Everyone seems to like it and can now put names with faces.

We have round robin tournaments and I have to rig up some sort of table / clip board where everyone keeps their own win/loss records.

When I remodeled I included a raised bay window that allows three people to sit on the 50 yard line. It is used a lot.

New2Pool
08-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Make a diagram of how you plan on the room looking when you are finished. I did not have enough money to do everything at once. I did not think far enough ahead so I put the table in the center of the room. That was great for a year but now I have money to add a pub table and a bar but I don't have room to do so without moving the table.

Bambu
08-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Your wife is cool for not hassling you about the pool room. There are always exceptions, but I dont like my wife interfering with my game. If it was me, I would rather have it be a private caveman room, set away from the house. A pool room is more of a means of escape for a man, not so much a family thing. In this case, I hope I am wrong. Works for Joe, it can work for you too. Good luck.

jht1953
08-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Interesting point Bambu, I like the cave concept. Unfortunately since we live in Florida there are no basements. Our floor plan is open so privacy is hard to come by. I suppose I could convert the master bedroom into a cave/pool room, but I know the wife would not go for it. Thanks everybody for your input.

BigRigTom
08-28-2008, 12:14 PM
jht I want to throw in my 2cents here.
I converted my garage a few years ago and my wife and I agreed that the house is her domain but the garage is mine and now the "Pool Room" is mine.
We still have territorial issues sometimes but the original agreement is still holding...so far anyway.

The one thing I have noticed a lot is that I wish I have more bar height places to set a drink down.
Bar height seating is great too as most people don't want to be eye level with the table when they are sitting.

Also the TV should be high enough to be seen over the players heads as they walk around the table. Some of my friends want to play pool while others want to be able to see the game.

http://hardingersystems.com/db/Mphotos/BigRigTom/BigRigToms74BrunswickTableLightCue.jpg

MAC
08-28-2008, 02:32 PM
I envy your garage. I would gladly let my mustang sit outside in the weather if my garage was like that. Great job give me an idea for my basement.

BigRigTom
08-28-2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks Mac, It was a hard fought battle to get it that way but it came out pretty nice and in Southern California I don't really need to put my car in the garage...it just sets out there in the sun. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

skin
08-28-2008, 06:55 PM
BigRigTom - is that wood laminate flooring in your garage? If so, how is it holding up under the weight of the table? Been thinking about doing that myself as I plan to convert my garage but I figured the flooring might split or sink in and cause the table to become unlevel.

Great garage by the way!

-skin

Rich R.
08-28-2008, 07:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your wife is cool for not hassling you about the pool room. There are always exceptions, but I dont like my wife interfering with my game. If it was me, I would rather have it be a private caveman room, set away from the house. A pool room is more of a means of escape for a man, not so much a family thing. In this case, I hope I am wrong. Works for Joe, it can work for you too. Good luck. </div></div>

Bambu, don't make your hobby of playing pool such a private thing. Try to get your wife involved. She may not want to play, but she may enjoy watching, if she knew a little about the game. She may also like hanging with you and your pool playing friends. Maybe take her to a lady's tournament some time. There are plenty of regional tournaments. It doesn't have to be a WPBA tournament. If you get her involved, it will be a lot more fun for the both of you and, just maybe, you wouldn't be delegated to the garage.

My wife doesn't play but she is involved in my pool life. We have a lot of fun and we have met a lot of great people, including many from this forum. She only complains when I don't get up for my evening practice session. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

My wife comes to my league with me, when it is not baseball season. She is a fanatic baseball fan. We also attend tournaments together and we are both involved in running the CCB tournament at the U.S. Open.

It works for me and my wife. It could work for you too.

BTW, my cars are in the garage, where they belong, and my pool room was an addition to the house. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

JoeW
08-29-2008, 05:34 AM
I agree with Rich R. I met my wife while playing in a league. Friends brought her to a few matches when they thought I was ready (after my first wife died). We do everything together. I know that some may not agree with me but it is one of those areas where I know that I am right. Making marriages work was was of the things I did well as a practicing psychologist.

Marriages are built together on a yearly basis. If she did not like pool I probably would not play. In fact, each of us is responsible for selecting the things we do that make our marriage better. I advocate, and Kay and I are, married one year at a time. You have to stop at least once a year and determine why this person should want to be married to me. This will make you consider what you have contributed to your marriage and makes you resolve to do even better next year.

If the people I play pool with are not acceptable to my wife, they do not come to the house. If she did not like league play, I would not play in the leagues. Pool at our house is an adult activitiy. It involves everyone in many ways. I strongly recommend that you make that pool room a rec room where all of the people in your life enjoy themselves.

I have my my study where I read and work on the computer when I need my own quiet time. In my family playing pool is a major activity. My wife can not play (because of her vision) but she is the social director, caters the activities, asks the wives over and starts many other activities that turn our house into a social gathering at least once a week.

If you want to play pool and make your marriage work find a way to make it work for both of you. But this is true for anything that is a major part of your life.

BTW my wife is one of a few women who comes to all of the matches. She has an electrician's head lamp for the dark bars and she is called Princess Lighthead by the team and others as she is also the scorekeeper with her binoculars and reading glasses. I have observed the few other guys who wives show up or play in the league tend to have the better marriages.

The family that plays to gether stays together. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

In the spirit of the times, This message has been approved by Kay !

Bambu
08-29-2008, 06:21 AM
I appreciate the kind thoughts Rich(and you too Joe). But I think it takes a special kind of woman to appreciate the game. I love my wife, but she doenst fit into that category. Many years ago, I trained an ex girlfriend to come in 4th at the valley forge tournament in PA, so I do know what you guys are talking about. My wife now though, I cant even get to play apa as a 2. Shes real good at drinking though, thats for sure! But after 8 years, she doesnt even know the numbers of the balls. If she asks me, I cant even tell her what to shoot at. If I say shoot the 10 ball(an obvious hangar) she will say "oh the blue one?" And will procede to shoot the 2 ball that had no pocket. Then if I miss a shot myself, she thinks I am dumping. So whats the problem with battered women these days? They just dont f*ckin listen! Just kidding. I envy you guys, but its not every woman that can be taught to run a rack, or score a baseball score book. Lord knows, I have tried.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your wife is cool for not hassling you about the pool room. There are always exceptions, but I dont like my wife interfering with my game. If it was me, I would rather have it be a private caveman room, set away from the house. A pool room is more of a means of escape for a man, not so much a family thing. In this case, I hope I am wrong. Works for Joe, it can work for you too. Good luck. </div></div>

Bambu, don't make your hobby of playing pool such a private thing. Try to get your wife involved. She may not want to play, but she may enjoy watching, if she knew a little about the game. She may also like hanging with you and your pool playing friends. Maybe take her to a lady's tournament some time. There are plenty of regional tournaments. It doesn't have to be a WPBA tournament. If you get her involved, it will be a lot more fun for the both of you and, just maybe, you wouldn't be delegated to the garage.

My wife doesn't play but she is involved in my pool life. We have a lot of fun and we have met a lot of great people, including many from this forum. She only complains when I don't get up for my evening practice session. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

My wife comes to my league with me, when it is not baseball season. She is a fanatic baseball fan. We also attend tournaments together and we are both involved in running the CCB tournament at the U.S. Open.

It works for me and my wife. It could work for you too.

BTW, my cars are in the garage, where they belong, and my pool room was an addition to the house. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
</div></div>

Rich R.
08-29-2008, 07:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I appreciate the kind thoughts Rich(and you too Joe). But I think it takes a special kind of woman to appreciate the game. I love my wife, but she doenst fit into that category. Many years ago, I trained an ex girlfriend to come in 4th at the valley forge tournament in PA, so I do know what you guys are talking about. My wife now though, I cant even get to play apa as a 2. Shes real good at drinking though, thats for sure! But after 8 years, she doesnt even know the numbers of the balls. If she asks me, I cant even tell her what to shoot at. If I say shoot the 10 ball(an obvious hangar) she will say "oh the blue one?" And will procede to shoot the 2 ball that had no pocket. Then if I miss a shot myself, she thinks I am dumping. So whats the problem with battered women these days? They just dont f*ckin listen! Just kidding. I envy you guys, but its not every woman that can be taught to run a rack, or score a baseball score book. Lord knows, I have tried. </div></div>

Bambu, as I indicated before, maybe your wife is not a player. My wife has two good quality cues and a custom case, none of which has seen the light of day in quite some time and I couldn't tell you when they have been out of the house last. That has been years. She is not a player but she likes to be involved. Maybe you could try getting your wife involved without the pressure of playing. It's just a thought.

Bambu
08-29-2008, 08:23 AM
Thats pretty much what I do, Rich. I involve her in league/drinking nights out. She supports the team just by being there. Same goes for the occasional party at our house, shes a great hostess. But if I want to play some serious pool with a friend or even just practice, I prefer a private setting.

PS-If my wife had a custom case and nice cues she never used, my cheap ass would be scheming up a way to sell them!

jht1953
08-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Interesting how this thread became a "relationships 101" discussion. I am in agreement with most, my wife is great hostess, can keep with the boys and is a great sport, she can't play for beans though. I think she might have green-lighted the room addition so I'll be home more instead of at the pool hall.

Rich R.
08-29-2008, 09:50 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PS-If my wife had a custom case and nice cues she never used, my cheap ass would scheming up a way to sell them! </div></div>

I keep them in the hopes that she will decide to play, some day. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

JoeW
08-29-2008, 11:03 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jht1953</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting how this thread became a "relationships 101" discussion. I am in agreement with most, my wife is great hostess, can keep with the boys and is a great sport, she can't play for beans though. I think she might have green-lighted the room addition so I'll be home more instead of at the pool hall. </div></div>

I think that one of the suggestions for your addition is to make the room inviting and comfortable for you and your wife.

My room is on the masculine side, lots of wood, books, no frilly stuff, and a bar. None-the-less Kay and other women find they are quite comfortable as there is nothing offensive and it is warm and inviting for any adult. Something like a tavern with dark corners and comfortable seating.

If the women feel comfortable and invited there will be much more support for your room and that is worth considering.

I often play late into the evening (4 - 5 AM) with a friend or two. Our room is designed so that the noise from breaking and racking does not disturb others who are sleeping. Kay has no problem with my late night activities, I am home and the place is similar to Bambu's cave at these times. A few times one of the guys has had to crash before driving home: The bar is well stocked and the bay window is comfortable for a nap.

BigRigTom
08-29-2008, 12:20 PM
The flooring is actually Bamboo. The bamboo is (I believe) laminated onto 5/8" plywood so the floor is VERY strong and durable. It supports the weight GREAT!
It is easy to clean and looks nice. It is installed on top of a concrete floor but there is a moisture resistant padding between the floor and the concrete so it makes it easy on the legs, ankles and feet during those long matches or practice drills.

BigRigTom
08-29-2008, 12:39 PM
I think some of you (Rich and Joe W.) have misunderstood some of one of my previous post. I have been reading and trying to understand where this thread trailed off too.

When I said it had been a "hard fought" thing to get my garage the way it is ....that did not mean I fought my wife. I meant I fought the condition of the "GARAGE" to whup it into a "REC ROOM". The thing about my wife's domain being the house and mine the garage is just the way we divide territory.
If she had her way the garage/pool room would be all frilly and female looking because that is her preferance. We agreed that she could decorate the house but I would decide how the garage/pool room would look. I definitely prefer the more masculine look it has now. I decide where to put the seating, how to set the lighting, where the TV goes, how the music is set up. I layed it out, I clean it, I spend a lot of time there and I like it the way it turned out.
My wife also likes it but she would do it differently if I were not persistent on my preferences.

As for playing, my wife loves the game too. She is more into the social aspects and is our Team Captain....doing a GREAT job at it too. She has a bit of a feministic attitude but is very intelligent and has more of a nuturing personallity than I do.

My wife and I have been married for 30 years so we have had our share of disagreements about many things and pool has been in there lots of times but pool is not the only interest we share so it is not the only thing we can disagree on.

It is not disagreeing that causes problems in marriages Joe, it is how you resolve those disagreements that makes or breaks the relationships...my humble opinion.

O YES! My wife has several VERY nice cues which I have bought for her...Her favorite is the Meucci White Rose, 2nd favorite is the Viking Green Dragon and coming in a close 3rd is a McDermott Forest Green beauty and she uses a Cuetec Break Jump...
All of that and she is still a very consistent 3 in both 8 ball and 9 ball. Our teams have nic-named her the Giant Killer because of her tendancy to take down the higher skilled players in those critical matches where the team really needs a win.

She also hates me coaching her or calling an un-requested time out on her....oh well...that is pool and life.

Bambu
08-29-2008, 01:18 PM
"I think she might have green-lighted the room addition so I'll be home more instead of at the pool hall."

Get it in writing while you still can! Haha good luck 1953. Converting my garage was the best investment I ever made.

BigRigTom
08-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Me too Bambu!
I save a ton of money by NOT going to the bar or pool hall to play pool.

skin
08-29-2008, 04:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigRigTom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The flooring is actually Bamboo. The bamboo is (I believe) laminated onto 5/8" plywood so the floor is VERY strong and durable. It supports the weight GREAT!
It is easy to clean and looks nice. It is installed on top of a concrete floor but there is a moisture resistant padding between the floor and the concrete so it makes it easy on the legs, ankles and feet during those long matches or practice drills. </div></div>

Sounds like you planned it out very well. I'll keep it in mind as I plan my "cave". Thanks for the reply.

-skin

Rich R.
08-29-2008, 05:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigRigTom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think some of you (Rich and Joe W.) have misunderstood some of one of my previous post. </div></div>

Thanks for the clarification Tom. I definitely misunderstood your situation.
It seems like you are in good shape. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif