PDA

View Full Version : Johnny A's new aiming system

phil in sofla
08-12-2002, 02:01 AM
Ok, maybe it's not that new anymore. He'd been using it for 3 months as of the Mosconi Cup, according to the commentator, Jerry Forsyth. (Watching the matches, courtesy Kato. Got Immonen/Soquet v. Varner/Archer playing the case match on right now. Still have 6 hours to go, evidently one of those flashback kind of movies.)

Archer said it was working very well, and he was a lot more accurate using it than what he was using before. Sounds like another one of Archer's efforts to improve his game, as when he explained that he had started doing drills for the first time.

It's very interesting that a player of Archer's caliber would decide to change how he lines up shots, or say that he's 'much more accurate' now.

Anyone have any information on what he's using now, or used before?

Chris Cass
08-12-2002, 02:23 AM
Phil,

All the pros, will do anything under the sun, to get another weapon in their arsenal, to give then an edge. When your talking a $20,000. added tourney. That's $10,000. for first maybe, $5000. for second and cut up down below. Placing 5th can just barely cover your expenses. That's one of the reasons my buddy Jon Kucharo isn't playing the tour anymore. Drills? Johnny A. spends way too much time where the money is. On the golf course....JAT

Regards,

C.C.

phil in sofla
08-12-2002, 03:30 AM
I hear that. Dick Weaver talks about the craze for hypnosis to help the pros back in the '70s. (He wanted my tapes, even now.)

Still, unless it's a complete placebo effect as I was told my new aiming system results were (and I don't doubt some of that is true), Archer likes how he's lining shots up now better than before, which is certainly an expert opinion.

So, evidently, he's not just going on feel and experience to see the shots, as I think the smart money here mainly advocates.

NH_Steve
08-12-2002, 05:15 AM
Yeah, but if most pros are actually using the ghost ball system, isn't it mainly a 'feel' and experience method anyway? They 'see' where they need to hit the ball, just like they 'see' where the cue ball is headed after contact, for position -- they're not using the ghost ball in the 'mechanical' fashion of locating the imaginary center, half the diameter from the contact point, opposite the path to the pocket. For them it is a 'feel' system, right???

Anyway, when he talks about a new aiming system, it probably means something else a little different in his preshot routine -- like sequence of looking or how he sets his feet or bridge, or even how he uses his warmup strokes -- not actually what he looks at for a target reference. That's my hunch, anyway.

Ken
08-12-2002, 05:50 AM
I don't think ghost ball works if you think half the diameter from the contact point. The distance from the center of the object ball to the contact point has to be equal to the distance from the center of the cue ball to the contact point. You just move the center line of the cue ball out from the contact point the same amount as the contact point is away from the center of the object ball.

Nevertheless, Archer has been placing his cue tip at the contact point while standing in line with the proposed path. That is something beginners do a lot. I don't know if that is his new system but it sure adds a lot to the time it takes him to take the shot.

There was a match between him and Williams at the Joss. Joe Tucker walked by and asked "are they playing in slow motion?" I simply remarked "that's Charlie Williams".
KenCT