PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Smoking, New Health Care Help

Sid_Vicious
08-28-2008, 01:06 PM
I know lots here have smoked and quit, all need health care before and after cessation, so I'd like some help with new health care demands which I now have following retirement. The cigs were already going to be a thing of the past once this threshold of retirement has hit...my health and finances are premier now for sure, besides I've looked forward to both retirement and becoming a non-smoker again.

I am currently researching individual health care providers for an individual plan, KNOWING that the smoking has got to go, AND WILL. My past insurer never questioned whether I smoked all these years, which I didn't smoke except for the past few years. Many of the recent physician's visits and referrals to other physicians did ask, and I was truthful about smoking on their forms.

Has anyone stopped smoking, and then gotten HC insurance as a non-smoker, or are you trapped for life with the Scarlet Letter of smoker even years down the road on a new policy? Presently I am hesitant to fill in questionaires for quotes with my personal information, when I come to the check box of "Tobacco", not knowing if this will trap me in one of two ways.

1. I answer "NO", do genuinely quit smoking and eventually, somehow have my recent "YES" on recently documented physicians forms become portable and known to the new provider.

2. I answer "YES" for the quote to simply see the difference, and decide to take that provider as a dedicated, new non-smoker, having already checked the quote request form as "YES."

I ask that this remains a HC related topic and not "How To Stop Smoking", I'll manage that task. Maybe there is a discussion group somewhere with this subject matter besides with HC questionares, but I've not found it yet, so I posted here to y'all.

PMs are welcome on this post, actually it may be better if it was PM advice, but it isn't necessary. Tia...sid

Deeman3
08-28-2008, 01:34 PM
For a signifigant amount of life insurance, I just added a large amount for business reasons, you will be asked about tobacco useage, past and present. If you have not smoked in a long while you could probably answer "never" and get away ith it. I ansered this truthfully. However, if you do smoke or have not quit for a few months, the blood test will reveal this to the insurer. At your and even my tender ages, they will at least weigh you, measure your height, take blood, asked about previous surgery, chronic health and probably a urine specimen.

Good luck, old man! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

pooltchr
08-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Interesting question. I haven't had to deal with it yet, but I'm sure it will pop up. I have just completed my first month as a non smoker in 40 years. How long do you have to go before you are a non smoker? Or are you only able to be an ex smoker, but not a non smoker?

Steve

wolfdancer
08-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Congratulations on making the decision to stop smoking!!!!