PDA

View Full Version : The Color of Money On ESPN classice NOW!!!!

zombiemodder
08-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Cheack it out

wolfdancer
08-30-2008, 11:49 PM
You don't know the can of worms you have just opened...in the past any mention of C.O.M. (and I don't mean coefficient of anything)...would guarantee, 900+ views, and a couple of hundred replies.
It got so bad that we finally held a requiem mass, and buried the "puppy". ( or was it a dog???)

zombiemodder
08-31-2008, 06:12 AM
Yeah it's one of my favorite movies and right after they had a Minnesota Fats Game.

Rich R.
08-31-2008, 06:18 AM
I recommend you put out a few bucks and buy a copy. Then you can watch it any time you want. Put out a few more bucks and you can buy a copy of The Hustler too, which was a much better movie.

zombiemodder
08-31-2008, 08:48 PM
I own them both but like to watch them anytime they come on tv which is not that often.

Rich R.
09-01-2008, 06:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zombiemodder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own them both but like to watch them anytime they come on tv which is not that often. </div></div>

When they come on TV, you could always plug your copy in and watch uncut and with no commercials. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

mike60
09-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Does anybody act that stupid in a real poolroom? Tom Cruise is a clown. The karate kid routine with the cue would get him 86'd.
Martin whats his name is so dumb he put sunglasses on Paul Newman. A lousy movie with nonsense for logic.

miguel

Rich R.
09-01-2008, 01:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike60</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anybody act that stupid in a real poolroom? Tom Cruise is a clown. The karate kid routine with the cue would get him 86'd.
Martin whats his name is so dumb he put sunglasses on Paul Newman. A lousy movie with nonsense for logic.

miguel </div></div>
Although it has nothing to do with the quality, or lack of quality, of the movie, I have seen many people act stupid in real poolrooms. Maybe they didn't twirl their cues, but they acted very stupid, just the same.

BTW, I have also seen many people wear sunglasses in dark poolrooms.

Phonymosconi
09-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Earl the Pearl used to wear sun glasses cause he said he could see the balls sharper, but he dropped that idea. Tom Cruise is first class, a first class ass, all his shots were simple, short, straight in, and that jerk thinks SCIENTOLOGY is a bona fide religion. He is an undisputable nut. That movie was meant for people who knew absolutely nothing about pool rooms, where I've been hanging out for 62 years,and I can still shoot run-out nine ball, provided they're not laying all clogged up.

William McVeigh,alias Phony Mosconi, and in Costa Rica EL HUEVON.

Rich R.
09-01-2008, 08:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phonymosconi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Earl the Pearl used to wear sun glasses cause he said he could see the balls sharper, but he dropped that idea. Tom Cruise is first class, a first class ass, all his shots were simple, short, straight in, and that jerk thinks SCIENTOLOGY is a bona fide religion. He is an undisputable nut. That movie was meant for people who knew absolutely nothing about pool rooms, where I've been hanging out for 62 years,and I can still shoot run-out nine ball, provided they're not laying all clogged up.

William McVeigh,alias Phony Mosconi, and in Costa Rica EL HUEVON. </div></div>

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Earl is a real jerk, IMHO. He did wear sun glasses for a while, claiming he could see the balls better. I suspect that some sponsorship money helped him see the balls better, not the glasses.

Tom Cruise is an actor and he was playing a role. Do you really think he could play and beat road players? It was a movie, not reality.

What does Tom Cruise's personal beliefs have to do with a role he played in a movie. He may dispute your religion as much as you dispute his. That doesn't make either of you right.

That movie was meant to be entertaining and its purpose was to make money for the people involved in making it, nothing more. I think it succeeded.

I'm happy you can run out an easy rack of 9 ball. That still doesn't mean that an actor, playing a role, should be able to do the same. It was a movie. It was entertainment. Get a life.

wolfdancer
09-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Given the choice, I'd rather watch COM, then Hustler....not that Hustler wasn't the better drama of the two.

av84fun
09-02-2008, 01:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phonymosconi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Earl the Pearl used to wear sun glasses cause he said he could see the balls sharper, but he dropped that idea. Tom Cruise is first class, a first class ass, all his shots were simple, short, straight in, and that jerk thinks SCIENTOLOGY is a bona fide religion. He is an undisputable nut. That movie was meant for people who knew absolutely nothing about pool rooms, where I've been hanging out for 62 years,and I can still shoot run-out nine ball, provided they're not laying all clogged up.

William McVeigh,alias Phony Mosconi, and in Costa Rica EL HUEVON. </div></div>

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

<span style='font-size: 11pt'>Earl is a real jerk, IMHO. He did wear sun glasses for a while, claiming he could see the balls better. I suspect that some sponsorship money helped him see the balls better, not the glasses.</span>
Tom Cruise is an actor and he was playing a role. Do you really think he could play and beat road players? It was a movie, not reality.

What does Tom Cruise's personal beliefs have to do with a role he played in a movie. He may dispute your religion as much as you dispute his. That doesn't make either of you right.

That movie was meant to be entertaining and its purpose was to make money for the people involved in making it, nothing more. I think it succeeded.

I'm happy you can run out an easy rack of 9 ball. That still doesn't mean that an actor, playing a role, should be able to do the same. It was a movie. It was entertainment. Get a life.

</div></div>

It's a shame to refer to one of the greatest champions in the history of the sport in such terms. When was pool EVER a sport for "gentlemen only?"

Do you think that Fats or Mosconi or Greanleaf (when he was drunk which was most of the time) were "gentlemen"?

And in what other sport is gentlemanly conduct the nature of the game. Hockey? Football?

Remember the McEnroe/Connors/Nastasi era in tennis? The popularity of that sport has taken a nosedive since that time.

And re: the sunglasses, if it was a sponsorship deal, he had the dumbest sponsor of all time...because the brand of the glasses was never revealed as far as I can recall.

Do you think Schmidt is a jerk too for scattering the balls and concedeing the match to Feijen in the world championship...and then telling posters on another forum who took him to task for that that they could "all drop dead?"

Hell, if Strickland would break his cue and otherwise display some EMOTION in every match then maybe pool would be a LOT more popular than it is these days.

As it is, most players exhibit zero emotion...in fact, they are so stone faced that they look like they've had frontal lobotomies which is one of the many reasons why pool today is boring people stiff.

Give me TEN EARL THE PEARLS!!!

Regards,
Jim

Rich R.
09-02-2008, 06:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: av84fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a shame to refer to one of the greatest champions in the history of the sport in such terms. When was pool EVER a sport for "gentlemen only?"

Do you think that Fats or Mosconi or Greanleaf (when he was drunk which was most of the time) were "gentlemen"?

And in what other sport is gentlemanly conduct the nature of the game. Hockey? Football?

Remember the McEnroe/Connors/Nastasi era in tennis? The popularity of that sport has taken a nosedive since that time.

And re: the sunglasses, if it was a sponsorship deal, he had the dumbest sponsor of all time...because the brand of the glasses was never revealed as far as I can recall.

Do you think Schmidt is a jerk too for scattering the balls and concedeing the match to Feijen in the world championship...and then telling posters on another forum who took him to task for that that they could "all drop dead?"

Hell, if Strickland would break his cue and otherwise display some EMOTION in every match then maybe pool would be a LOT more popular than it is these days.

As it is, most players exhibit zero emotion...in fact, they are so stone faced that they look like they've had frontal lobotomies which is one of the many reasons why pool today is boring people stiff.

Give me TEN EARL THE PEARLS!!!

Regards,
Jim </div></div>

Jim, we all have our own ideas of what makes a real champion. IMHO, players can be emotional, without being jerks. Unfortunately, it is the jerks that get the most attention.

As for Earl, he is probably the best 9-ball player to ever pick up a cue. He is amazing to watch. However, in recent years, he has become a real head case and I don't mean because he wears those crazy glasses, hockey gloves, finger extentions or whatever the current thing is. I couldn't care less what he wears.
I have seen Earl ruthlessly attack spectators, with his verbal abuse, for little or no reason, on numberous occassions. In fact, my own wife was the target of his abuse, simply because she chose to politely applaud the introduction of his opponent.
Do I think Earl is a jerk? You're damn right I do.

As far as John Schmidt, I have mixed feelings. I have been in John's company a few times and I have seen him play many times. 99% of the time, John is a class act and I like to watch him play. However, quitting a match and scattering the balls does not show his usual class. Not showing up for a U.S. Open match, in order to go play golf, did not show any class. Some of the comments he has made about players who have beaten him, have not shown any class.
John seems to be a nice guy and I hope he gets his act together before it hurts the sponsorship he has worked so hard to get.

I also like to see emotion from players and I have on many occassions. Players can show emotion and still have class. Being abusive is not the only way to show emotion.

I'm sorry for hijacking this thread, but I had to respond.