PDA

View Full Version : Iranian students to sue Dutch government

Chopstick
09-02-2008, 09:40 AM
BRUSSELS, Sept. 2 (Xinhua) -- A group of Iranian Dutch students and scientists are moving to take legal action against the Dutch government for banning Iranian nationals from courses related to nuclear technology, the Dutch newspaper De Volkskrant reported Tuesday.

The ban violates the Dutch constitution and various international treaties, Behnam Taebi, spokesman for the Iran Students' action group was quoted as saying Monday.

Dozens of group members staged a demonstration Monday at the University of Amsterdam, where Dutch Education Minister Ronald Plasterk was speaking at the opening of the academic year. The protestors handed him a copy of Article 11 of the constitution.

The Dutch government decided in July that Iranians and Dutch nationals with an Iranian passport are excluded from nine degree programs related to nuclear expertise lest it be used by Iranians to make atomic weapons.

The government said the decision was taken to implement UN Security Council Resolution 1737 which requires countries to prevent the spread of nuclear technology to Iran.

The Iran Students' action group, however, says the ban is discriminatory and in breach of the right to education.

<span style="color: #3366FF">Well, shame on them. They gave it to Pakistan didn't they?</span>

Deeman3
09-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Q,

Don't you guys have a Dutch ACLU (DCLU) to defend these guys rights to learn and bomb you?

wolfdancer
09-02-2008, 10:53 AM
I wonder if it was also unconstitutional for us to ban the 9/11 terrorists from taking 747 flying lessons??

Gayle in MD
09-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Wasn't there a time when you couldn't sell booze to an Indian! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

wolfdancer
09-02-2008, 12:03 PM
I believed they called it "firewater" back then. It's too bad that Jim Thorpe was able to buy alcohol.

Chopstick
09-03-2008, 06:18 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder if it was also unconstitutional for us to ban the 9/11 terrorists from taking 747 flying lessons?? </div></div>

Interesting point. I wonder what would happen if they tried. The thing that is weird about this one is a bunch of the students that are bringing the suit are not even Dutch citizens.