PDA

View Full Version : Game within a game.

socrates
08-12-2002, 08:33 AM
I believe golf and pool compliment each other well. I have several games within a game that I track in golf that have helped bring my handicap down. This leads me to the question - What games within a game do you use in pool to help you in competitive play. Two of my personal examples are:

1. When faced with a tough low percentage shot with no easy safety my self-talk before I assume my stance might be "this tough shot is the best play, I only make it two out of ten times - but this is going to be one of the two."

2. Another exapmle is when this thought pops into my mind. Run the last three and you will have broke and run out. I immediately change my thought process to imagine I just came to the table with three balls left and my thoughts are "you can run three balls all day long."

Would like to hear from others on their games within a game that have helped them at the table.

cheesemouse
08-12-2002, 09:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Would like to hear from others on their games within a game that have helped them at the table<hr></blockquote>
One little mental game I play on myself is when I get out of line on a run and that little guy whispers in my ear "Oh $hit". I return to my nesting spot and reverse my thinking, that being, I look at the table and think 'my opponent was suppose to get out but he dogged it and left me this shot' then I return to the table with a new mindset that being 'I'm lucky to just have this shot'...now I have to admit that I can easily fake my own mind out so it works for me... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Kato
08-12-2002, 09:25 AM
Now this is some good stuff. I've never looked at it like this.

Kato

bluewolf
08-12-2002, 10:19 AM
when i make a mistake or have an off day, i just try to think 'poop happens' as long as i am getting better, even if i take a step back from time to time, i dont worry about it.

progress not perfection

Chris Cass
08-12-2002, 10:23 AM
Although I don't golf, I often think of it in one hole. That shot that barely reaches the cup. It just get there with that ever slow speed and drops in. I guess, putting that 15 ft'er would be the equivalent. JAT

Regards,

C.C.

08-12-2002, 04:07 PM
One of the things I've tried to do is to not label shots "hard" or "easy". I try to approach each shot with the same mental attitude and trust in my mechanics. A shot is a shot and they all require the same degree of concentration and focus. On a "challenging" cut , as an example, I ask myself; How would I feel about this angle and shot if the pocket was 1 foot away instead of 6 feet away? It's the same shot really, so why not shoot it with the same confidence? Or, instead of saying . "Oh, [censored]! This is a really tough shot and I'm afraid of embarassing myself"; I say, "Here's a challenge and an opportunity to show my opponent what I can really do!" It's a simple shift in mental attitude that changes how you react to a shot, or a situation, and it usually pays off with a better outcome.This work on developing a self disciplined mental attitude is a game within the game for me, as you say. It becomes me playing against, or better yet, "for" myself, rather than the opponent.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-12-2002, 04:50 PM
Ok... since we are comparing golf and pool, and its been a while since I golfed.. but, when I did, I can still remember my mental connections to my physical "game".

GOLF: On the tee box, in the fairway and on the Green
POOL: The Break, the run, and finishing.

I always tried to picture shots mentally. Same as in pool. The flight of the golf ball, even down to the spot on the fairway where it comes to rest. Just like the cue ball, OB and shape on the next shot.

I always tried to do ALL my thinking prior to taking my stance (address) to the golf ball. Just like pool, pre-shot routine. No thinking while at the ball. Just execution.

The same goes for in the fairway and on the green. Only you have more choices of clubs in the Fairway, than off the tee or on the green.

I learned that if I eliminate the word "I" in my thought process, it becomes more of a routine of execution, rather than me talking to myself.

I also learned to never think "negatively" I.E. "Don't hit the ball into the water".. the brain has dificulty processing "Don't" it usually just processes "Hit the ball into the water" Did you ever miss a shot and say to yourself "I knew that would happen!" well you are correct.. that's what you were thinking before the shot, and your thoughts effected your execution.

See the shot go in, then make it happen. Don't judge the result, accept it and go on, and most importantly, when you practice often, you begin to "Trust" what you can do, and become more confident in your game.

Both games can be compared very closely to the mental aspect of competition and performance. "Perfect Practice" is the key to Perfect execution.

IMO, this is how you can achieve the "Zone" more often and eventually keep it.

When and if I ever get there (to the Zone) I will let you know.. still working on the "perfect practice" aspect.