PDA

View Full Version : 9 Ball Situation - CueTable Video Contest

BigRigTom
09-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Anyone who hasn't already....should check out this situation.
CueTable.com presented this 9 ball run out scenario and it looks really easy .....that is until I tried it.

http://publiclibrary.cuetable.com/showthread.php?p=2704#post2704

Check it out!
There may be time to enter yet.

bataisbest
09-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Low left for the shot on the 8 would have been my preference faced with that shot. The other shots were played very well also. I could see how following could work too, but I always think it will somehow rattle the pocket just enough to miss. Good shootin' though!

1Time
09-02-2008, 08:14 PM
One key to the rack that I would have worked better on is getting shape on the 8 to pocket it up by the 9 so I could follow the cue ball to the end rail for shape on the 9.

If instead being forced to shoot from the shape you got, I would have drawn the cue ball back or followed it off the head rail for shape on the 9. Each shot is fundamental to shooting run out 9ball.

zombiemodder
09-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Upper right hand english on the 8 would have left you in good shape on the 9.

av84fun
09-02-2008, 10:58 PM
I would have taken quite a different route.

1. Thin the 1 ball with low right to pass across the center of the table toward the opposite (diagonal) corner pocket. You had at least a 3 ft. shape zone.

2. Faced with your shot on the 7 I would have drawn up table to get an angle on the 8 Ball which would have allowed a softish spin shot to get you back down to the 9.

This has nothing to do with shape but notice your stroke on the 8 ball shot. You threw your cue out the your right and dropped your elbow big time which is why the cue pointed up and to the right of your shot line.

The 8 was obviously your key ball and not an easy shot which is exactly the kind of situation that we tend to jump up or otherwise dog our strokes.

I think your game would benefit significantly if you got a few hours with an instructor to help you work on a systematic, highly repeatable stroke.

And you didn't chalk your tip until after you shot the 5 ball in spite of using mostly non-center ball cueing. BAD, BAD BOY!!

(-:

BigRigTom
09-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Thanks for all the comments and you are ALL correct!
I have a tendency to (at some point) get out of line on these kinds of runs....it is not always the hard shot that gets me, sometimes I miss the easy shot because I think it is easy and don't totally focus on all the fundamentals.

The long shot down the rail is definitely one of my weaknesses and I often shank it one way or another.

Someday I will have the money and time both at the same time and then I plan to spend it all on that instructor...it just has to come together in a way I can take advantage of it.

Thanks again everyone for the critiques!

PRQL8R
09-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Very brave of you Tom to post your efforts here, willingly accepting the critiques of others. Overall your’s was a strong performance under the pressure of the camera and I thought your chances were good to make it all the way. The only shot that surprised me with your pattern was when you shot the 6 and took the cueball close to the rail for a force follow going to the footrail and then back up table for the 9. I had expected you to stun or draw back off the 6, so as to leave an angle on the 8 where you could then use low right to draw back off the long rail to shoot the 9 in the same pocket as the 6. I’m sure by now you’ve made this run a few times... without the camera rolling. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I have no video camera but like others no doubt here, I have set up this scenario on my own table and taken a “whack” at it. I marked the ball placements with a small dot of white chalk so I could quickly reset it up. The runout is a little complicated for me in that my table is a 4 ½ X 9 snooker but with a Simonis like cloth.

Being primarily a snooker player I was mostly looking for zones of position where I could make the shots and minimalizing the possibility of running into other balls.

The most successful pattern I developed dealt with getting position to shoot the 1 & 8 in the same pocket, the 3 obviously in the bottom left but all the remaining balls into the top right.

The key problem I noted at the start was just how deep the 1 was in the corner pocket. I found that by hitting the cueball about 10:00 and very slightly rail first on the right side of the 1, I could work into a wide zone of position (preferably near but not too close to the left middle pocket) to then shoot the 2 into the top right corner.

My main goal with shooting the 2 was to then leave the cueball somewhere relatively near mid-table but near the long left rail. The 3 was then a thin but not difficult cut shot with low running left, which was able to bring the cueball 2 to 3 rails back up table near the top left corner.

In shooting the 5 into the top right, depending upon the angle, it was only necessary to pop the cueball out enough to get a relatively straight shot for the 6 in the corner.

In shooting the 6 I just to had to make sure to finish with the cueball near the central long axis of the table but still high enough to have a good angle on the 8, so that when I shot it with low running left I was able to pull the cueball back up towards the top left corner and a shot at the 9 into the top right.

Even though I was able to make this run out a few times I have to admit that I certainly dogged it many more times than that. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif ...Bob

BigRigTom
09-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Hind site is 20/20 as they say.
After I miss a shot I can always think of several options that would have been better.
That's ok though, that is what videos like this is all about.
Thanks for everyone's input, insight, criticisms, suggestions, support, encouragement, praise and sharing of knowledge.

I remember a time when all of the above was somewhat taboo in the world of billiards. I think we've come a long way.....BABY!

Now like Jack Nicolsen said in "Mars Attacks"....
"Why can't we all just get along?"

PRQL8R
09-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Hi Tom... I hope that you don't think that I was being negative in any way about your post or video clip. If that was the case I sincerely apologize. It was clear from the video that you are not only a fine player but also one who is willing to share their knowledge and experience. I was positivly impressed with not only your video but also your willingness to put it forward on the board.

As for my own game... sometimes it seems, if it wasn't for hind sight I wouldn't have any sight at all /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ...Bob

JJFSTAR
09-05-2008, 12:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigRigTom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I remember a time when all of the above was somewhat taboo in the world of billiards. I think we've come a long way.....BABY!

Now like Jack Nicolsen said in "Mars Attacks"....
"Why can't we all just get along?" </div></div>

You said a mouthful there Tom I wish we could there are just some people on this board who are really opinionated, they just have their view and no force on this board or in life will change it not even air tight logic. Fortunately those people are very few and far between.

I would imagine that it is one of the reasons those couple of people are good pool player’s. It does take strong force of will to play this game well. And when you get a lot of those kinds of people talking (I am one of those also strong willed people) you will inevitably have personality clashes.

Some of us are good at dealing with personality clashes some are not we are all of different ages, educational and economic backgrounds etc... as well as from different geographical locations. So it is actually surprising how well we do get along. I think it is about as well as we can do and that is a little depressing.

Sorry that got off topic and great job with that video. It takes some bravery to do that so congratulations and kudos. Those tables I call up and down tables and they are some of the hardest to run much easier are the tables that have mixed odd and even balls on the same side of the table so you don’t have to do so much traveling.

You did the run much as I would have with a few superficial changes that are not really important. So that brings us to the 8. I used to follow those also but now I draw them for the most part. I often rattled them when I followed. I think most of us have practiced hard draw more than hard follow. It doesn’t look as though the 8 needs to be thrown either it looks like you have that little angle where just 6 o’clock hard will take it back to the position zone you were shooting for I wrote it down and will give it a few tries tonight.

Again great job Tom.

BigRigTom
09-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Yes to all of the above.
No offense taken from anyone on here.
Your comments are always welcome PRQL8R!

If I could roll back the clock and shoot that shot again I would play it with a soft draw and accept the more difficult cut on the Nine.

The shot I was attempting is a difficult one for me and I knew that going in. Note the sigh when I addressed the 8 just before I announce I would follow. My stroke also sucked on that pressure shot. If I had money riding on it I would have taken a bit more time on my preshot....maybe I would have changed my mind on how to shoot it too.

As it was I decided to follow because like JJFSTAR said it was simply a 6 O'Clock shot with a bit of zip to get the cue ball to come off the head rail and hit that long rail while avoiding the big scratch in the side and the big pocket in the bottom right corner. It was just so much stuff all at once going on in my head that I should have opted out of that shot and I should have done a soft draw straight back.

NOW I can see that. As usual it is one shot too late when we realize there was a much better way!

Fenwick
09-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Like others I admired your willingness to post your game on the www.
On 1/7/07 I started a thread here titled, " Video Taping One's Self Practicing?". I had just began playing again after a 20+ year layoff. The idea received it's fair share of just criticism. Mostly because I mistakenly made it sound like I thought it was a way to avoid taking lessons. That was not my intent. I received many lessons between then and now.
I've turned the camera on myself only 4 times since then. After learning to recognize what I was seeing thanks to instructions I found it to be great tool. I use it to gauge my progress. I never thought to use it to judge my shot selection skills.
For BigRigTom or anyone else who have recorded a game or practice session. Do you think the video in some small way might help or improve your game?

BigRigTom
09-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Fenwick I learn something every time I see a video of myself shooting. I watch the pros and I was a lot of the instructional stuff on the web. I especially like stuff put out by Dr. Dave, Joe Tucker, ForceFollow and Mike in Fargo.

It is great to see the way it should be done by someone who can do it correctly, but there is nothing more inlightening than seeing your self do it correctly one time then totally screwing it up the next time. Consistency is a life long pursuit in pool and learning how to do any part of the game consistently correct will always advance your #'s in the win column.

When you ask for criticism you almost always get it, so be prepared for it and then try to hear it in a way that will help you improve your game, regardless of how it was intended. That way you even learn something from the smart asses who just like to point out the faults (usually those are subjective and anyone can see faults if they look for them). A good critic will acknowledge the good and criticize the bad then off ways to correct the errors.

I like to video tape my games, my practice, and any other part of the process where I can go back and see for myself what I am doing. Some day I too will get those lessons you talked about.

Meanwhile, I just do what works for me and everyone else should do the same.

JJFSTAR
09-07-2008, 03:42 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fenwick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Do you think the video in some small way might help or improve your game?</div></div>

I think it helps in a BIG way I have taped myself for the last few years and have made my largest leaps since taping myself. And for teaching it is indispensable. Back in the year 2000 when I started taking the first pictures of myself I learned a lot even before I started taping!