PDA

View Full Version : DeeWoman's Horse Dead!

Deeman3
09-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Last night we came home from a pool tournament about 10:00 p.m. and there were police cars everywhere, lights flashing. We saw one of the horses being held by someone in the field across from our home.

Two horses had gotten out, one of ours and one a neighbors, and an 18 wheeler had hit Tori's prize Tennessee Walker at about 70 MPH in a 40 MPH zone. The skid marks were long and the scene was very gory. I could not keep Tori from the scence and she was terribly upset, of course. Thank God, the truck driver was not injured.

It took me, the state police, city police and fire department about three hours to clean the mess out of the streets and remove the main part of the horse from the road. By State law, of course, I had to bury Sinbad but we just left him in the right of way beside the road until this morning. I did not get in bed until about 4:00a.m. and Tori was up all night crying. I got up this morning and called my assistant saying I would be in late, having to find a tractor and such. A neighbor, who has the horse who escaped with Tori's had come by and picked up Sinbad and carried him off to bury him. This was unbelievably nice of him and I won't soon forget it.

The pasture they were in has a great fence but the older horse that ecaped with Sinbad is a 29 year old escape artist and, although she had not been out in six months, must have finally figured out how to open this particular gate!

Anyway, Sinbad was a great horse and Tori enjoyed him for many years but is very sad right now over the loss. She thinks of animals as family.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-03-2008, 09:16 AM
That's terrible Dee. If that happened to my dog I would be crushed. I hope she gets over her grief soon.

Deeman3
09-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Thanks Wally. I am taking off this afternoon and spending the time with Tori. I had to put down her other favorite horse a few years ago and she just loves her animals.

Chopstick
09-03-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm so sorry Deeman. I know how that really hurts. Please express my condolences to Deewoman.

mike60
09-03-2008, 11:25 AM
That's a shame. The loss is always personal but i feel you and i hope you both feel better soon.

mike

Gayle in MD
09-03-2008, 12:04 PM
I am so sorry! That is so sad.

Gayle

PRQL8R
09-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Very very sad news... I'm sure everyone here sends condolences for your loss. We often deeply bond with the animals we take into our care and they do become very much a part of our families. You clearly handled this tragic situation in a responsible manner and I'm sure you'll bring support and comfort to your wife. ...Bob

pooltchr
09-03-2008, 06:46 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this news. Anyone who has ever had to put down an animal knows exactly what you are going through.
My heartfelt sympathy goes out to you, my friend.
Steve