PDA

View Full Version : Palin speech

sack316
09-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Bottom line, it worked. All the pundits seem to be swooning over her from both sides tonight. I think she did a great job, and showed no signs of fear in presenting herself for the first time on a major national stage. I do happen to agree with those on the left who said that there was little of substance tonight as far as the issues go... but then again nothing in this race has been about issues thus far anyway it seems.

But I think the point of tonight was to intoduce herself, and garner up some excitement within the party and perhaps reach an audience that is in limbo on which way to go right now. And no matter what one's personal thoughts on her may be, I don't think anyone could deny that she nailed it tonight.

One thing I really liked was that there was no mention, no comparison, no way shape or form, of showing herself as an alternative to Clinton. She actually showed herself as a "torpedo" (as Matthews put it) aimed directly as a culturally different choice from Obama.

Oh, and the family shots were priceless.

Still young, still new, and still a long way to go... but I think her first step was a very good one.

OK, I said my piece. Now let the bloodbath resume.

Sack

mike60
09-03-2008, 11:09 PM
The dizzy bitch is nothing and less. There are no voters waiting to see what she has to say. Palin is Cheney lite. Less of everything. This whole bullshit trip in St.
Paul is just more major masturbation. The dumb bitch hasn't the first drop of humanity. Pro death and as crooked as Ted Stevens some choice. Palin is a blessing
for the Democratic side. Thanks John.

miguel james kopp doing forever as some guy's bitch

Gayle in MD
09-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Gee Sack,
I thought the blood bath did resume, tonight.

Here's my take. Excellent dilivery and poise in only her second national speech, no question about that. She left out any mention of her anti-choice platform, her own pork barrell spending in her state. Her attempts to ban books from the library, for religious purposes, and the pending investigation into her possible abuse of power as Governor, and the tax raises she herself implimented in Alaska.

What I heard was more of the same petty, nasty, divisive and dishonest attacks, which do nothing to bring our country together. She was very clever to avoid getting into national Seucrity issues, something which she obviously knows nothing about. but everything she aimed at Obama was a lie, as were Rudy's statements, and Mitts.

I can surely understand how she will excite her party, since, as we saw, this entire representation, so far, including Sara, Mitt, Rudy, has been all about the same kind of left bashing, condescending, petty political rhetoric that their base thrives upon, but most of this country is fed up with that, IMO.

I thought the mood and message of the Democratic convention, and Obama's speech, was a positive one that sought to rise above the same old divisive, slanderous, politics of personal destruction, which I feel has been the main tactic of Republican political policy, from the White House, to the Congress and the Senate, for going on twenty years now, and I don't find that to be inspiring.

I believe that when their records are fully revealed, and people learn of her own pork barrel spending, and other questionable inappropriate activities as governor, and McCain's pro Bush voting record, that their mutual attempt to paint themselves as some sort of change, as insurgents, coming in to straighten up a mess, that supposedly someone other than their own party and policies, created, will be obvious to all but their apparently unwitting base. I don't think this country wants four more years of George Bush's same failed policies, and most Americans, will not support their ticket, for that reason, and they will lose.

There are many of us out here who know enough, by now, about the subsidies and tax cuts for the very corporations which are outsourcing our jobs, and trashing our environment, damaging our wild life, invading our privacy, and ruining the spirit of our country, and we know which party supports those irresponsible, bottom line only, policies. We know what this war has cost, and we know the results.

While the bait and switch is interesting to watch, most of us know who made this mess, and I do believe that America is aware of which party put us where we are right now.

So bottom line, she gets a A for delivery, and an F for substance, from me, and I believe that people, other than the unwitting Republican base, will not rally behind the McCain campaign's platform, once McCain and palin are forced into specificity, and accountability.

Obama went into a neighborhood that was devastated after their steel mill closed down, and in spite of Sara's typical Republican condescending slander, the fact is that he helped those people to retrain, and find work. His election was by a huge margin, for that reason, and he has proven his determination to work across the isle in order to get legislation passed, for ethics reform, and for the common good of the people, both in Chicago, and in Washington D.C.

The number of lies that were told, and pot shots that were taken, tonight, by the three Republican speakers, did not impress me a bit. In fact, it was rather sad to watch, but I don't suppose there is much else they can offer than trying to glean votes by playing on hatred, and exploiting their individual misfortunes in life, while wearing gleaming smiles.

Not exactly rallying points for a suffering American work force, which has been decimated by Republican policies.

Gayle in Md.

wolfdancer
09-04-2008, 01:21 AM
so, she's not enough to sway your vote?
I'm thinking that Rudy G should get out of politics and get his own comedy show.
The RNC is going off without a hitch, but I don't see any real emotion there....they might even have a cue guy holding up a sign telling them when to applause.

wolfdancer
09-04-2008, 01:32 AM
Why would you expect a bloodbath? We, on the left are more forgiving of the foibles of mankind, candidates included, then the puritans on the right....that said; where did they find this... Palin-drone; in the yellow pages under palin-adin.
If elected, I think her main job will be to keep McSame's hand off of the bomb switch.

sack316
09-04-2008, 02:28 AM
responding to self to prevent doing three seperate replies:

Mike, great post man. The value your insight provides surely couldn't be lived without. And written like poetry my good man, quite elegant no doubt. I really don't get it bud, sometimes you actually post well thought out and good posts, and then other times you write profane filled tirades. To each his own, but geez. I don't know how you'd expect anybody to listen to you with drivel like that. And if you say you don't care who does or doesn't listen to you, what are you doing posting anyway?

Gayle, glad you at least gave her an A on delivery. Actually a litle higher praise that I expected from you /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I got what you're saying with the rest of your post... but really what were the actual lies told about Obama? I saw her speech, and some of Rudy's... but didn't catch an actual lie. I'll grant you being divisive, and I'll even grant somewhat nasty-- as the sarcasm could have been done without. But what i recall hearing about Obama was either responses to things his campaign has said about herself or McCain, or general shooting down of his planned policies (which again, would be something else the Obama campaign does). I'll give you that the raising up happy happy joy joys didn't hit the highs of an Obama speech... but I didn't think the lows sunk much, if any lower either.

You are also right in that she didn't delve much into the issues, which I think I also said in my original post. But then again, in her defense, nobody really has to this point. I think that's one of the things many people on both sides are getting sick of in either campaign. At best we're getting indecisive generalities from time to time, and the rest is filled with "yay me, boo them" talk. I'd like to see both parties do more campaigning for themselves, and less campaigning against the opposition.

Wolfie, I'm still waiting on Palin-ology (ok, that's a stretch). But I don't know who would actually be the one keeping whos fingers off the button, that girl has some fight in her I think. Quite possible the VP debates will be the most exciting to watch, as they may have the most firworks!

On a side note, I was thinking earlier what a good election this is in all reality. I mean, both candidates do pretty much suck... but it's the most excited and interested I've seen people be in politics and voting in my young life. We're seeing a few firsts, history has already and still shall be made. And people actually care. And that's kinda cool to see.

Sack

pooltchr
09-04-2008, 04:36 AM
Sack,
I don't think it was her intent to delve into specific issues. Her job was to introduce herself to the public, and let them know what she stands for. I think she did a great job.

As for the little jabs and barbs, I get the impression that we "ain't seen nuthin' yet!". I'm more anxious to see the VP debate than any other part of the campaign now. I think Biden is going to have his hands full. The term "as sweet as a baby cobra" comes to mind. I think this lady has a bigger pair than any of the men in the mix.

Steve

Gayle in MD
09-04-2008, 06:20 AM
Rudy is still racking up the bread on his self-described 9/11 leadership fame. His speech was a joke, so was Mitt's!

Do they really think they can get away with all those lies? Oops! considering their base thrives on them, they will probably be a hit, atleast inside their little gathering.

You should have heard the blooper from Peggy Noonan this morning! It was a riot! She thought the sound was off, and stated that the Republicans had opted for Palin, and it was a big mistake. Can't quote her words exactly, but something to the effect...

"Everytime (Republicans) go with all this Bullsh**, they lose!

She's the one who came up with "Read my lips, no new taxes" for Bush one, and the famous, "Touch the face of God" speech by Reagan after the Challenger explosion, (a bit of plagerism from a poem, that the right wing press defended as "Borrowing a line from a poem")

Regardless, she's been on the Republican side of things for decades as a major speech writer, and obviously she wasn't at all impressed with any of the Republican speeches last night, and reduced them, and the VP pick, to Bullsh**, and I'd say she hit it on the nose!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Gayle in MD
09-04-2008, 06:27 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think it was her intent to delve into specific issues. </div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">HA ha ha, her job was to avoid them! What's she going to say when they start asking her about the tax raises she implemented, and all the pork barrell spending she's approved, and banning books from the library, and trying to fire people for refusing to implement her wrath upon her ex brother-in-law, ad then lying about it, and fighting against sex education, with an unwed pregnant daughter standing right there? She kept all that federal money for the bridge to no where, and she's up there lying, saying that she told the federal government, "Thanks, but no thanks." ???????? Pahleeeze! When she left that little town, she left them in debt! Typical Republican!

She may be just what the Republican right wing loves, a liar, and Earmark lover, a BSer, and a joke, but it won't fly with the rest of the country. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </span>

Deeman3
09-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Well, she proved that you don't have to have to be approved by the Washington media to give a good speech. I loved how everyone was saying that she did not write her speech as if Obama, Biden and McCain do. People on both sides say the Democrats should be worried. I agree but think the main person worried is Biden. The left has set the bar so high for him in the debate, he has to pretty well beat her up to win. I think the real idiots, like Mike, will continue to insult and take her lightly. If he had referred to ANY other women as a dizzy bitch all of you on the left would have condemned him for it.

Gayle has proved, once again, she is for women, as long as they agree with her politically. Whay a farce of pretend feminism. Real women who have had success on their own are now supporting her.

Gayle in MD
09-04-2008, 07:51 AM
Nice try. I would not be in favor of any politician with her record, male or female, as VP. You're doing exactly what the MCCain campaign is trying to do, framing the objections to an unqualified contender, into sexist terms. My oh my, you have surely changed your tune since all of your own sexist and degrading posts about Hillary Clinton.

Just like I have stated here many times, you posters from the right can dish it out, but you can't take it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gayle has proved, once again, she is for women, as long as they agree with her politically. Whay a farce of pretend feminism. Real women who have had success on their own are now supporting her.
</div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">That's right, reduce this thread to personal attacks. I haven't done that, you have. ARe you for male politicians who don't agree with you? I didn't think so. I'm not for McCain, either, guess I'm also a man hater, right?

These accusations of yours are absurd. Go back and read some of your own Hillary hating posts, liberal hating posts. You guys think when you're doing the bashing, it's appropriate, but only you have that right. Not!</span>

Deeman3
09-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Gayle, you are too filled with hate for this women to discuss this. I'll leave it alone, the voters will decide who is right. I don't want to fight with you over her.

Gayle in MD
09-04-2008, 08:15 AM
Another insult? Dee, Your own underlying emotions might need some checking.

It should come as no surprise that I would not support Palin, when she is agaist everything that I believe in, and one thing I can't stand, in particular is when people try to parlay themselves into heroes, over circumstances that they either found themselves in, or put themselves into by default.

That isn't heroism.

I don't post personal insults to you, but I do find your accusation that I hate anyone, just because I don't support their ideology, very unfair.

Qtec
09-04-2008, 10:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ST. PAUL, Minn. Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and her Republican supporters held back little Wednesday as they issued dismissive attacks on Barack Obama and flattering praise on her credentials to be vice president. In some cases, the reproach and the praise stretched the truth.

Some examples:

PALIN: "I have protected the taxpayers by vetoing wasteful spending ... and championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress. I told the Congress 'thanks but no thanks' for that Bridge to Nowhere."

THE FACTS: As mayor of Wasilla, Palin hired a lobbyist and traveled to Washington annually to support earmarks for the town totaling $27 million. In her two years as governor, Alaska has requested nearly $750 million in special federal spending, by far the largest per-capita request in the nation. While Palin notes she rejected plans to build a $398 million bridge from Ketchikan to an island with 50 residents and an airport, that opposition came only after the plan was ridiculed nationally as a "bridge to nowhere." </div></div>

link (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/04/ap-attacks-praise-stretch_n_123771.html)

........and the best way not to get pregnant is to abstain for having sex.....LOL ..........boy, that advice worked well for her daughter.!

Her wiki profile was scrubbed the night before her nomination became public. All references to Ted Stevens [ her sponsor ] were deleted.
Q

Gayle in MD
09-04-2008, 10:43 AM
LOL, thanks Q, I was just posting about that. There are some other articles I posted on here today, that go along the same lines as this one, the one from Time magazine, is pretty interesting. And also the right wing pundits, caughter bashing McCain and his choice of inexperienced Sara, and what a losing political tactic that it will turn out to be!. I don't guess they can accuse the liberal Media for that one? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Bobbyrx
09-04-2008, 10:47 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Mike, great post man. quite elegant no doubt. I really don't get it bud, sometimes you actually post well thought out and good posts,
Sack </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">I must have missed those /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif</span>

Sid_Vicious
09-04-2008, 11:23 AM
"The number of lies that were told, and pot shots that were taken, tonight, by the three Republican speakers, did not impress me a bit. In fact, it was rather sad to watch"

Agreed. It was like a bad episode of Jerry Springer...sid

Gayle in MD
09-04-2008, 11:55 AM
And it wasn't just one of them! ALL of them lied, over and over.

This is why our situation in this country is so bad. There is no liberal press.

There are two, just two on all of cable news, that are from the left. All the rest are Republicans. Hence, the lies fly.

But until the Republicans take control of the internet, we still have hope. McCain's viewership was nothing compared to Obama's. I suppose they'll have to come up with a way to just block out Democratic media coverage all together. That's next!

I think last night was what I would call a workshp for Republican lies, spin, malicious slander, and all round swap, switch and bait mentality.

It was a joke, those Republicans standing up there talking like they were going to be the new kids on the block, coming in to straighten out the mess, and bring reform, when they had all the control on the Hill for nearly the whole last eight years, and they've made all the messes!

Americans aren't that stupid!

Sid_Vicious
09-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Personally Gayle, I am really anxious to watch the debates. How soon will we have one of those on the air? Neither McCain nor Palin will hold water against their opponents. The fun hasn't even begun yet...sid

Deeman3
09-04-2008, 02:40 PM
See! Anyone can pull up these smear things during a campaign. I have no doubt that honest Joe never even knew about any of this but anyone can pull up garbage like this and slam an honest work-a-day Joe politician. If you would look back, how may of these things could you find in a politician's closet?

A son of Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden was paid an undisclosed amount of money as a consultant by MBNA, the largest employer in Delaware, during the years the senator supported legislation that was promoted by the credit card industry and opposed by consumer groups.

Barack Obama's presidential campaign said Biden helped forge a bipartisan compromise on the measure, which is now law and makes it harder for consumers to obtain bankruptcy protection in the courts.

MBNA's consulting payments to Hunter Biden, first reported by The New York Times, followed his departure in 2001 from the company, where he had been an executive.

Obama opposed the bankruptcy law, enacted in 2005, while Biden supported it.

David Wade, a spokesman for the Obama campaign, said that "after working in the Clinton administration in the Department of Commerce on Internet privacy and online commerce issues, Hunter consulted for five years as an expert on these very same issues at a time of enormous expansion in online banking."

At the time Hunter Biden was receiving consulting payments from MBNA, he also was a Washington lobbyist at a firm he had co-founded.

"He was not a lobbyist for MBNA, and his work had absolutely nothing to do with the bankruptcy bill. Zero. Nothing," said Wade.

wolfdancer
09-04-2008, 03:07 PM
I think it might have been a good thing to tighten up the bk laws.
In the end as part of their risk analysis, that was factored in on the interest rates that we are charged...the costs are passed on to the consumer.
BK was way to easy back in the 80's, and I know of people that first ran up their bills, and then filed.
One piece of legislature though does not decide the vote, hopefully.
We are limited to McCain or Obama....death or taxes?
Neither one makes me want to go door to door for them. I once took a group of Jack Kennedy supporters around to do just that, and was proud to do it. I wouldn't even answer the door, if either of these two guys showed up on my front porch.
But I'll have to vote for Obama.
just in case I am asked to speak when the torch is passed from GWB to BO, I am preparing my speech...so far I have the first two lines written:
(I come to bury Bush, not to praise him;
The evil that men do lives after them,)
it needs a little work, but this is only a first draft

Sid_Vicious
09-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Helping you a little Wolf:

"I come to bury Bush, not to praise him, HALLELUJAH;
The evil that men and chimps do lives after them, HALLELUJAH)

All I can think of on the spur of the moment ;-) ...sid

Deeman3
09-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Will you have the same witty names for the Obaboon? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

wolfdancer
09-04-2008, 03:40 PM
I like the " HALLELUJAH " addition

sack316
09-04-2008, 09:30 PM
I don't know why, but somehow reading the last few responses got my mind working on an Obama version of "Barbara Ann". I think there is a way to make this work. myself, deeman, and wolfdancer can join forces as a new beach boys (Or new Regents, depending on your age and memory).

Sack

wolfdancer
09-05-2008, 02:15 AM
" but somehow reading the last few responses got my mind working on an Obama version of "Barbara Ann" "
that, my friend would be an Obamanation....

sack316
09-05-2008, 03:10 AM
aww, c'mon man. You're not even giving it a chance.

O-Ba-ma---O-bama-man. O-ba-ma---O-bama-man

I'll let that grow on you before finishing the rest. This is your problem man... you think you're bigger than the band /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack