PDA

View Full Version : Time Magazine Confirmation: Palin's Record...

Gayle in MD
09-04-2008, 09:38 AM
<span style="color: #000066">Does having an R. in front of your poliltical designation mean that you are above having to answer questions about your Vice President selection, when she has lied consistantly about her record, and experience? I don't think so. Asking her questions, is equal to sexism? I don't think so. The right wing politicians have one rule for themselves, and quite another for everyone else. Kind of like a few around here? </span>

http://www.time-blog.com/swampland/2008/09/angry_amateurs.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Posted by Joe Klein | Comments (409) | Permalink | Trackbacks (0) | Email This
The story of the day out here in Minneapolis is the McCain campaign's war against the press. This has been building for some time. Those of us who have criticized the candidate--and especially those of us who enjoyed good relations with McCain in the past--have been subject to off-the-record browbeating and attempted bullying all year. But things have gotten much worse in recent days: there was McCain's rude, bizarre interview with Time Magazine last week. Yesterday, McCain refused to an interview with Larry King, for God's sake, because Campbell Brown had been caught in the commission of journalism on CNN the night before, asking McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds what decisions Sarah Palin had made as commander-in-chief of the Alaska national guard. (There was an answer that the unprepared Bounds didn't have: she had deployed them to fight fires.)

So what's going on here? Two things. McCain is just plain angry at us. By the evidence presented in the utterly revealing Time interview, he's ballistic. This is a politician who needs to see himself as the man on the white horse, boldly traversing a muddy field...any intimations that he's gotten muddied in the process, or has decided to throw mud, are intolerable.

The second thing is more insidious: Steve Schmidt has decided, for tactical reasons, to slime the press. He wants the public to believe that there is an unfair--sexist (you gotta love it)--personal assault going on against Palin and her family. This is a smokescreen, intended to divert attention from the very real and responsible vetting that is taking place in the media--about the substance of Palin's record as mayor and governor. Sure, there are a few outliers--and the tabloid press--who have fixed on baby stories. That was inevitable....the flip side of the personal stories that the McCain team thought would work to their advantage--Palin's moose-hunting and wolf-shooting, and her admirable decision to have a Down Syndrome baby. And yes, when we all fix on the same story, whether it's a hurricane or a little-known politician, a zoo ensues. But the media coverage of the Palin story has been well within the bounds of responsibility. Schmidt is trying to make it seem otherwise, a desperate tactic.

There is a tendency in the media to kick ourselves, cringe and withdraw, when we are criticized. But I hope my colleagues stand strong in this case: it is important for the public to know that Palin raised taxes as governor, supported the Bridge to Nowhere before she opposed it, pursued pork-barrel projects as mayor, tried to ban books at the local library and thinks the war in Iraq is "a task from God." The attempts by the McCain campaign to bully us into not reporting such things are not only stupidly aggressive, but unprofessional in the extreme.

</div></div>

DickLeonard
09-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Gayle This is starting to play like a GWB Tactic only talk to the Blind. ####

Deeman3
09-04-2008, 10:15 AM
Asking questions is fine, name calling is just a poor way to do it.

There are 60 or so days left and I am sure every question will be answered. If she is a helpless fool and liar, is will all become apparent. If not, the left is taking a risk on large backlash of its own making.

It's like, funny, you never thought much of Dr. Laura before. Now she makes sense to you? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Gayle in MD
09-04-2008, 10:33 AM
It's like, you've decided that anyone who dares to ask this unknown woman questions, is from the left.

There are reporters in this country who are from the middle, and surely do not consider themselves from the left, or the right.

And yes, I am shocked that there is anything at all that Dr. Laaura and I agree on, but then, as I have told you before, I am not really from the far left.

I believe in a right to bear arms, and responsible spending, a right to personal privacy, and personal decisions, and everything that the right is hell bent on taking away from all of us. I believe that debt is the ruination of any financial balance, hence, the prosecution of this war has been a joke.

I think that your responsibility to any child you bring into this world, supercedes everything else, and everyone else, including your own desires and wishes. I don't try to tell others what they can and cannot do, however. To each his own. Having opinion, is not the same as dictating. Being angry about political people who are dishonest, and dictating, is not the same as hatred. Reducing violence, is not the same as creating a working democracy.

Those who try to dictate to me, are going to repulse me automatically, hence, I am repulsed by the religious right wing of your party, the base, I'm told, and hence, Sara is repulsive to me, just as Bush, McCain, and most of the Republican operatives who are anti choice women.

McCain's campaign and Sara, have made a huge mistake by bashing the press, and I hope, and believe, that they are the ones who will recieve the backlash, both from the press, and from more moderate Americans, like me, who notice, lies, notice condescention, and have also noticed who has had the power in Washington D. C. for these last eight years in the Whtie House, and up until tow years ago on the hill, so when AMericans say the want change, they are talking about YOU, YOUR F-up party, and your lying, corrupt leaders, like John McCain, and Sara, the barracuda.

wolfdancer
09-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Gayle, good post!!!
I'm not about to burn Sarah at the stake for heresy just yet,although she is precariously on the edge... I think she was picked not so much for what she "brings to the table" even the mother-in-law questions that...I think she was picked just to "soften" the image of McSame, and appeal to both the younger voting block, and women in general.
I'm not sure what she has done for the great state of Alaska, besides keeping the Russians from taking over (just like lww has done for his state)...and while it may be the largest state, it's # 47 in pop.She may have been swept into office on an overwhelming vote...I didn't see her gubernatorial vote count...but 2k votes for Mayor...that's BIG.
Nice but does that qualify her as Presidential material?

Here's some other big Mayoral winners, all of them Presidential material?

Voters catapulted 19 yr old John Tyler Hammons into the mayoral seat on the Muskogee nine-member City Council.
Hammons, who will be sworn in Tuesday, beat Hershel McBride in the mayoral race by a nearly 40 percent margin. Hammons racked up 3,703 votes, or 69.62 percent, to McBride’s 1,616, or 30.38 percent.
I have never been there. But Muskogee is a city with a population of around 38,000.

Michael Jarjura was re-elected Mayor of Waterbury, Connecticut in 2005 as a ... an 18-year-old high school senior, won as a write-in candidate

HILLSDALE, Mich. (AP) — An 18-year-old high school student has been elected mayor after mounting a write-in campaign to oust the 51-year-old incumbent.
With all the votes counted, Michael Sessions had 732 votes to 668 for Mayor Doug Ingles, according to unofficial figures posted on the city's Web site.

Ok, they don't meet the 35 yr old min, but if we can seriously consider changing the citizen requirements so that Arnie could run.....

Gayle in MD
09-04-2008, 07:10 PM
She was mayor of a town of less than ten thousand people, and she hired a lobbyist connected to Abramoff, and got 27 million dollars in earmarks.

She built a sports center, that is called "The Money Pit" by the residents in that town.

She put in for 197 million in Earmarks as governor, and McCain had her on his own "Earmarks pigs" list three times!

This is a total farce! The lady who is the morning commentator on CNN, pretty gal, mixed race, can't think of her name right now, but she said in all of her time there, she had never received so many protesting e-mails from so many mothers from across the country who were outraged over this woman who thinks that with that many children, and a new baby with special needs, that she is the picture of irresponsibility to think that she can be VP, and still be a decent mother to that baby, and her other children.

Sure, may women work, and raise their kids with help from their husband's or mothers, but I can tell ya this, the proudest day in my life was the morning my daughter called me up and said, "As much as I love this job, and hard as I've worked to get where I am now, there's no way I'm leaving this baby!"

She was running the business office at Fox News in Washington. Love her job, finally right were she wanted to be, and I was thrilled to hear her say that!

A father, is no substitute for a Mother. The right is quick to point this out when they're Obsessing over gay marriage, but just let some moose shooting religious nut from the wilderness pop up ready to abandon her three remaining children, and he new baby with special needs, and they are ready to throw all that out of window!

If McCain thought she was going to bring in women's votes, man, he struck out with this one! His decision is paramount to identifying all the reasons why he has no business running for president. Careless, ruthless, spastic, and and so blinded by his own obsessive ambition, given to severe irresponsibility.

No wonder thsoe two hit it off!

pooltchr
09-04-2008, 07:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I believe in a right to bear arms, <span style="color: #FF0000"> Your side doesn't...our side does</span> and responsible spending, <span style="color: #FF0000">Your guy is ready to dig deeper into your pockets to spend even more! </span> a right to personal privacy, <span style="color: #FF0000">does that include the bedroom of a Vice Presidential candidate? </span> and personal decisions, <span style="color: #FF0000">Unless it's a decision to keep a less than perfect baby alive. </span> and everything that the right is hell bent on taking away from all of us. </div></div>
<span style="color: #FF0000"> Sorry to break it to you, but if this is what you believe, you're wearing the wrong jersey!
Steve</span>

Gayle in MD
09-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Clue...

The Brady Bill was the first national anti gun legislation. It was named for Jim Brady, Reagan's Press Secretary, championed by his (Brady's) wife.

It was supported by ALL of the Republicans.

Like with our amnesty problem, our terrorist problem, our Saddam problem, our Taliban problem, the Republicans have been behind all the things they now try to paint as liberal!

Clue,

Borrwing is still spending, in fact, it is worse, because borrowing requires one to pay interest.

The Republicans which have controlled the Hill for the all but the last two years, previously for 17 years, and the White House for the last eight years, have been the biggest spenders, and borrowers in history! Leaving the highest deficits, and the greatest debts.

It's about time you stop trying to blame your own party's incompeence, pork barreling, corruption and borrowing on Democratics.

George Bush has borrowed more money than all previous administrations combined!

get off the Bullsh**!

Sid_Vicious
09-04-2008, 08:28 PM
"but I can tell ya this, the proudest day in my life was the morning my daughter called me up and said, "As much as I love this job, and hard as I've worked to get where I am now, there's no way I'm leaving this baby!"

Same with my sister Gayle. She began with the first child, left a prime job in the state capitol in Austin and DAMDED I am proud now many years later that she produced 3 more kids and rightfully made motherhood her full time attention without "the job", AND produced Dean's listed students at UT, just one more to go. Sis said to me many times over the years, "I need to go back to work to help with the bills" and I said, "Sis, you already have the most important job." THAT is a good example of family value. Sad how so-called conservatives can even begin to argue with such testimonials. Sure, my sister didn't live in equal houses compared to "the Jones',,,,end results prove our point. My take on Palin?,..piss and poor as a mother...sid

Gayle in MD
09-04-2008, 11:03 PM
I completely agree, Martin. I have been disgusted just watching them haul that baby around for four days and nights, passing him back and forth like a sack of vegetables, in the midst of such a huge crowd, with all those germs in that huge room, and most DS babies do not have very good resistance.

It made me sick!

Of course, I would never have allowed my little grand-daughter to go to any day care, I'd have kept her myself, but I never told my daughter that. ;)But I always knew she'd never leave her baby, she won't even leave the dog!

pooltchr
09-05-2008, 04:28 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I always knew she'd never leave her baby, she won't even leave the dog! </div></div>

Wow, I'm guessing she doesn't have much of a life either.

Steve

Deeman3
09-05-2008, 07:11 AM
I guess I have to agree with Gayle as I would never have allowed my wife to work when the kids were growing up, just didn't want someone else raising my kids. However, it may be possible some women are more able to take care of the kids as they may have more domestic husbands, close family to keep the kids, etc.

I do hope we don't start eliminating the positions women have because of their kids as a main canopy in that ceiling. I, of course, have not had a special needs child and that might change things.

Gayle in MD
09-05-2008, 07:21 AM
Actually she has a wonderful life, and she was lucky to have choices that many women, single mothers for example, women living in poverty, or otherwise challenged by their financial circumstances, don't have. Hence, they should be protected against sex discrimination in the work place.

You have bashed me every way you can think of. Don't start on my family. I'm not running for the VP office. Your constant condescending statements on this site, directed not only at me, but at women in general, have given me a clear picture of your issues with women, already.

Just as criticisms of people who have memberships at the National Press Club in Washington D.C, which you have never even been inside of, won't fly, any of your statements about my daughter and family, are equally ignorant stabs in the dark.

IOW, stuff it.

DickLeonard
09-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Dick Did you mean DEAF? Yes I did Dick.####

DickLeonard
09-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Gayle pooltchr is the Blind people that McCain loves.####

Gayle in MD
09-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Dick,
You and Wolf always have a way of hitting it right on the nose! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sid_Vicious
09-05-2008, 03:24 PM
I'd say that she has the exact life which every young mother would(should) choose if given the chance. At least many of the young mothers I've encountered at the workplace dwell on the statement, "I wish I could stay home with my kid(s)." Sadly many mothers can't due to singleness or hardships beyond their control. Those mothers who ELECT to stay status-quo in finances and occupational positions are a different matter. Everything surrounding a couple of good financial means who has a child, everything! can be re-arranged for focusing on that child's natural parenting, be it moving to half the house they have, to living with dilapidated furniture and aged vehicles instead of new stuff. I know, I've seen examples of children reared with mothers who stay at home, I am a product of such, mom never worked until after she had 4 college grads and one professional degreed child, me. We all made that education happen with Pell grants, loans, and by working some hard and disgusting summer jobs. It was Mom's influence which propelled those educations, kept our feet on the ground, and made us realize that "If you individually work for, and pay for, something without being given it all, you will reap the personal rewards dynamically." It is a bit off topic but I'll say it anyway, "Children in much of America today are crippled by the easy money their two working parents give them." They'd be far better off if they lived sub-standard financially, worked for much of their own needs, education, cars, Ipods...and had "the mom" 360 days a year during their formative years. 3-2-2 homes and a Lexus in the garage doesn't make a child into the best person in the end.

This woman, Palin, is a real-time prime example, and it is my opinion that her priorities are not where they need to me, on a grand scale. Is it permanent to being a political figure and leading government?, I'd say it's very relevant to that person since Palin represents this conservative(yea Sid can be conservative) opinion, she certainly had choices and liberties to be a real mom with those young children. Be it a mom loving and defending her children or a VP candidate supposedly loving and defending her country and it's people, her family credentials most certainly relate to her professional values.

Steve, you might better "play safe and duck" when you feel like attacking people's personal families here on the board. I'd say that's stepping way beyond the etiquette standards, and won't make you many friends. That's how I feel and I'm sticking to it...sid