PDA

View Full Version : Stealing an election....

wolfdancer
09-05-2008, 01:34 PM
it's not a new thing, as the Republicans have been doing that since 1858, when a young party member developed the
" Buys-Ballot law"....that is still used by right wing pols today.

pooltchr
09-05-2008, 05:50 PM
The Republicans may very well have just stolen the 2008 election. Those sneaky right-wingers went out and found someone who actually appeals to voters! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Steve

wolfdancer
09-06-2008, 01:39 AM
"Those sneaky right-wingers went out and found someone who actually appeals to voters!"
Who is that, Palin? Is she running against Biden, or is Obama running against McCain?
Buys- Ballot law is a method of finding the center of a storm at sea, so that you can head for calmer waters....

cheesemouse
09-06-2008, 10:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Republicans may very well have just stolen the 2008 election. Those sneaky right-wingers went out and found someone who actually appeals to voters! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Steve </div></div> Yah, great move! Now John Bush will get a sure fired solid 45 or 46%...it won't be so embarrassing now:)

Gayle in MD
09-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Nothing new. They did what they always do.

Those sneaky right-wingers went out and found someone who actually appeals to their own uninformed base voters!

He's only going to get his own base behind him, that's all.

Sara has turned off many voters, and try as this campaign of lobbyists may, she's going to have to stand up and take the questions like any other candidate.

Once people get a load of that stud muffin who serviced her pregnant duaghter and his statements on my space, look into Sara's real policies, like banning books, saying that adolescents, and women who have been raped or victims of incest, should not be able to get abortions, her 527 work for Ted Stevens, of indictmant fame, her abuse of power going after her brother in law, and lying about it, her tax raises, and leaving her home town in debt, it will all come out. Having a high rating doesn't even count after such a short time. Most all Governors have high ratings after such a short time, 18 to 20 months.

The rest of America has had ENOUGH! Trying to run on change when he's voted for Bush 90% of the time, is a lost cause.

His voting record will not secure him the military vote, he abandoned them, nor the women's vote, he voted against equal pay, conservationists hate McSame and Bush, so he's down to the religious dummies, and the top one percent who have been robbing the rest of the people for eight years.

Exon has taken 50% of its profits and handed it back to shareholders, in the form of stock, or dividends.

If they can do that, their price gouging. He wants to give them an additional 4 billion more in subsidies. The stupid idiots with the "Drill baby drill" mantra, may not read any books, but the word is out on oil. Most Americans aren't as stupid as the Republican base. Once they have more facts under their belts, they will see through this scam.

Gayle in Md.

pooltchr
09-06-2008, 07:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Exon has taken 50% of its profits and handed it back to shareholders, in the form of stock, or dividends.

Gayle in Md.

</div></div>

PLEASE...Say it isn't true!!!! Do you mean to tell me that a great big bad oil company actually took some of their money and PAID IT OUT TO INVESTORS? Heaven forbid!!! Why, those stockholders are just peons, like you and me. People who have an IRA or a retirement account, where our money is invested in stocks, and when the stocks make money, so do we. Damn! It's amazing how money from those filthy rich companies manages to TRICKLE DOWN to other people. Why, if I didn't know better, I would think something like this might catch on! Shoot! If enough of this kind of thing were to happen, it might actually lead to an economic upturn! Call your Democratic representative in congress and tell thim this must STOP IMMEDIATELY!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Steve

Gayle in MD
09-06-2008, 07:56 PM
That happens to be totally out of line with historical percentages across the board. They are getting subsidies, and huge tax breaks. That isn't redistribution of wealth? Hiking up gas prices for those who can't afford to invest, and giving profits back to shareholders. SUBSIDIES come from MY TAX DOLLARS!

That is redistribution of wealth, exactly what you righties are always Yapping about.

I suppose you don't realize that when Corporations and Government are in business together, it is called FASCISM!

wolfdancer
09-07-2008, 04:30 AM
Gayle, I couldn't find that news item. Yahoo finance has EXON with earnings of 8.08 and divs. of 1.60 (per share)
Had you bought this 5 years ago at $35 per share; you could have sold it in April for around $94 (it's 75.62 today).....They must be doing something right...and they need subsidies?

While looking that up I came across this:
Oil: The Inconvenient Truth
The title alludes to my feeling that the biggest challenge facing mankind (especially mankind in the USA) is not "global warming", but a future in which worldwide oil supply will not keep pace with worldwide oil demand. I have often commented on Seeking Alpha that the "oil problem" has the ability to induce catastrophic consequences by 2015 and is therefore the more imminent issue to be addressed. Since the solutions to both global warming and the "oil problem" are the same, focusing on the nearer term problem would seem more logical to me. The problem, of course, is that those in power apparently disagree.

In this day and age of media and political double-speak, it did not surprise me that hurricane Gustav actually made oil and natural gas prices fall dramatically. After all, Gustav only shut-in the majority of US oil and natural gas production in the Gulf of Mexico along with a few refineries in the area. The Bush administration announced it would be ready, willing, and able to release oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to those companies requesting it. This apparently calmed the market and oil sold off to $109/barrel, or thereabouts. Oil swings so wildly these days, it's hard to keep track of its daily moves.

Yesterday morning on CNBC, Larry "Goldilocks" Kudlow was ebullient as the market was up over 200 points early on and oil was selling off with a vengeance. Kudlow predicted further gains for the market and further drops in oil. Unfortunately for Larry, later in the day oil firmed up and the market sold off, ending down for the day.

Of course the inconvenient truth for the equity markets is OIL. The US has this little problem of needing to import 15 million barrels of oil a DAY to satisfy its economic (hedonistic?) thirst. Kudlow would have you believe that the price of oil has come way down, but everything is relative. Relative to $145/barrel oil seen earlier this year, it has come down. Relative to the price of oil one year ago ($70/barrel), $109 seems quite expensive. Perhaps not to Goldilocks, but to me. It wasn't that long ago that $100/barrel oil was considered by many respected economists to be "economic doomsday" for the US. I think the jury is still out on that one....

The SPR will save us from any Gustav induced oil supply hiccups. What is the capacity of the SPR anyhow? 720 million barrels? Hmmm...let's see...that covers 48 days worth of US imports. I dunno about you...but that doesn't sound like very much at all. (That's probably how many days the FDIC's reserves can shore up our failing banks.) Well, I suppose it will get us through the short-term supply issues brought on by hurricane season, but does the SPR have the ability to weather a really serious supply interruption? Perhaps the shutting down of the Straits of Hormuz for example?

Meantime, oil production at Exxon Mobil (XOM), ConocoPhillips (COP), and Chevron (CVX) is down year-over-year. Mexican, Russian, Venezuelan, and Alaskan oil production is all down year over year. On the geo-political front Brazil might nationalize Petrobras (PBR) and Russia has shown it has the ability to take out the BTC pipelines any time it wants. The Iran problem hasn't gone away and Cheney is visiting Caucasia to show support for oil & gas pipelines which skirt Russia. This last issue is important for Europe's energy security. I only wish Cheney was as concerned about American energy security. Perhaps then we'd have a strategic, long-term, comprehensive energy policy like this.

But we don't have a US energy policy other than to drill, drill, drill. Don't get me wrong, we should drill. That said, anyone who thinks the US can produce the 15 million barrels of oil a day it current imports by drilling offshore in US waters is dreaming. We need a *comprehensive* energy plan. Its doubtful we'll ever get one. Why do I say that? Well, I can't get anything published along these lines at Barron's, the Wall Street Journal, BusinessWeek, etc.

Also, did anyone notice NBC refused to run Boone Pickens's latest commercial about Iran switching its automobiles and trucks to natural gas? Actually, NBC finally reversed its decision, but only after Pickens sent out an email to his PickensPlan army detailing NBC's earlier refusal. Bottom line is this: the US mainstream business media is censoring logical energy proposals that would cut our dependency on foreign oil. Why? Like the old investigator said, it's not "what" or even "how" that's interesting, its the "why"? Why would mainstream US economic media (one would think they would actually care about the US economy...) not want to see the US strengthen its energy profile, cut down on US money going to unfriendly nations, and increase its national security? Strange. Very strange.

People say, but Fitzman, look at all the demand destruction in the US. Yes, it is true there is some decent demand destruction in the US. However, this is not a result of strategic policy iniatives, but more a testament to the lousy economy and the hard times the American middle class is having making ends meet. Besides, I am not convinced that US demand destruction is not being sucked up by increasing demand in China, Russia, India, and the Middle East - all of which are showing brisk sales of automobiles and light trucks.

Gayle in MD
09-07-2008, 10:34 AM
The reason why they justify being short on oil, are lies. They refuse to invest in increasing their refinery capacity, and stuff the money in their collective pockets, instead, while they're gouging the Middle Class, everyday.

We need a leader who will sensibly address such things as the correct costs of carbon, on the polluters, subsidies away from oil, and toward energy technology for clean energy, and corporate irresponsibility in investment practices.

We need to tax those corporations more for operating against the best interests of our country, not reward them, like Republicans do.

First thing to do is stop corporate welfare, and the redistribution of wealth to the top 1% in the country, and the Middle East.

A real leader who understand these issues like Obama does, is what we need, not McSAME! Not the Mooseburger, either!

jayalley
09-07-2008, 03:00 PM
What a hoot!

The Obama that this woman is now calling a "real leader" was screechingly slandered by her as a "burned out cokehead" on this forum just a few months ago.

She never fails to amaze....or amuse.

pooltchr
09-07-2008, 06:50 PM
She will follow the directives of the Dem national committee without regard to any lack of facts, or any inconsistencies.

Even if I didn't think the Republican ticket is better for our country than Obama, I might consider voting R anyway, just to watch her party-line rants here for 4 more years. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Steve