PDA

View Full Version : APA rules question

New2Pool
09-08-2008, 07:18 AM
I played in my first APA match last night. The following situation came up and I believe it was handled correctly but I wanted to see if anyone else parses the APA rules differently than we did.

The 8-ball was my last remaining ball and my opponent had a ball on each side of the 8 and there was no where to go (poor planning on my part). I just hit the 8 softly off the rail and left the other player where they had to take out one of their ducks and they still had 3 balls on rails and a couple of other balls. I did not place a marker by any pocket because there was no way the 8 was going near any pocket. One of their guys tried to argue that I lost by not marking a pocket. I countered with I marked the pocket I was aiming for by not marking a pocket. Their coach agreed and when their player failed to run out I made the 8 for the win.

I was sure I was correct at the time but in looking at the APA 8-ball rules 10C states that There are various ways to lose: "You pocket the 8-ball in the wrong pocket or fail to properly mark the pocket."

Now to me this is obviously just a poorly worded sentence that should state something along the lines of "You pocket the 8-ball in a pocket that is not properly marked." Of course, later it is stated that when shooting at the 8 you should mark the pocket you intend to make the ball in so if you don't intend to make the ball then that would seem to suggest that you do not have to mark a pocket.

Any thoughts?

Saint Rukus
09-08-2008, 10:04 AM
You are correct. If you don't plan on making the 8 at all and are just playing a safety, you don't have to mark the pocket. Sometimes its good to mark it just for insurance, but you don't have to. Failing to properly mark the pocket only comes into play when you actually sink the 8 ball.

SpiderMan
09-08-2008, 10:47 AM
I think you are (obviously) correct regarding the intent of the rules. It's just another example of poorly-written guidance that leaves the door open for an ambiguous interpretation, should someone choose to do so. BCA rules aren't perfectly-composed either.

TCIndepMo
09-08-2008, 03:41 PM
"...was sure I was correct at the time but in looking at the APA 8-ball rules 10C states that There are various ways to lose: "You pocket the 8-ball in the wrong pocket or fail to properly mark the pocket."

You left out the end of that sentence from page 51, rule 10 c. The full sentence reads "when playing the 8-ball, you pocket the 8-ball in the wrong pocket or fail to properly mark the pocket WHERE THE 8-BALL WENT IN." (emphasis added)

In your explanation above, your 8 ball did not go in - therefore rule 10 c does not apply - therefore you did not lose the game. Althought it does not surprise that the opposing captain would try to talk you into thinking you lost, especially if he knew it was your first APA match. Sadly some guys will try to squeeze out a win anyway they can.

BTW, welcome to the APA.

New2Pool
09-08-2008, 10:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCIndepMo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> "...was sure I was correct at the time but in looking at the APA 8-ball rules 10C states that There are various ways to lose: "You pocket the 8-ball in the wrong pocket or fail to properly mark the pocket."

You left out the end of that sentence from page 51, rule 10 c. The full sentence reads "when playing the 8-ball, you pocket the 8-ball in the wrong pocket or fail to properly mark the pocket WHERE THE 8-BALL WENT IN." (emphasis added)

In your explanation above, your 8 ball did not go in - therefore rule 10 c does not apply - therefore you did not lose the game. Althought it does not surprise that the opposing captain would try to talk you into thinking you lost, especially if he knew it was your first APA match. Sadly some guys will try to squeeze out a win anyway they can.

BTW, welcome to the APA. </div></div>

Thanks, I appreciate the welcome. It was a fun night. Actually the captain of the other team was extremely nice and helpful. One of his guys tried to call it he agreed that you don't have to mark the pocket on a safety.

We must be looking at different versions of the rule book though. The version at this link (http://www.poolplayers.com/8-9-ball-Rules.pdf) does not mention that the 8-ball has to go in. It sounds like the APA caught the error in one version but the other version has not been updated.