PDA

View Full Version : If you ever thought your fav sports team sucked...

sack316
09-10-2008, 06:17 AM
... than take heart in this:

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/10969249

BRATISLAVA, Slovakia -- With more goals than minutes in the game, Slovakia's women's ice hockey team claimed an amazing 82-0 victory over Bulgaria in Olympic qualifying.

Slovakia outshot the Bulgarians 139-0 during the 60-minute game, played in Latvia. The margin of victory is a record for a women's International Ice Hockey Federation-sanctioned event.

"We took it as training," Slovakia coach Miroslav Karafiat said after Saturday's game.

Janka Culikova led Slovakia with 10 goals, while Martina Velickova scored nine. Fourteen different players scored at least one goal.

Slovakia, which also beat Croatia, Latvia and Italy, advanced to another qualifying group with Germany, Kazakhstan and France. The winner will secure a spot at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.

Bulgaria was eliminated after scoring one goal and giving up conceding 192 in the tournament.

The Slovakian men's team clinched its biggest ever victory against the Bulgarians 14 years ago when they won 20-0.

Owww... my pride! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

pooltchr
09-10-2008, 06:33 PM
You gotta give the goalie credit. Shots on goal were comming at her better than 2 a minute for the entire game, and she still managed 57 saves!

Steve

wolfdancer
09-11-2008, 12:50 AM
Sack I saw that...Janka and Martina scored three hat tricks each in the game...even Bobby Hull never did that.
I think Bulgaria was coached defensively by Ernie DiGregorio aka, Ernie no D'Gregorio. Well this takes the onus off of the Jamaican bobsled team, and the Washington Generals as possibly the worst teams ever in sports (6-13000+)
they should have had a mercy rule, like in little League baseball..get behind by say 30 goals, and the game is over...

wolfdancer
09-11-2008, 01:09 AM
Even the great goalies, Terry Sawchuk, Glenn Hall, and my favorite, Jacques Plante, never had 57 saves in a game.(probably)
I found a site that claimed Sam LoPresti faced an NHL record 83 shots during a 3-2 loss at Boston on March 4, 1941.
we played hockey in a Muni league back home...every Sun morn in hockey season, at 4 am,(after the bars closed at 2am) we rented the arena in Ft. Erie, Ontario for a couple of hours of practice. The Canadian kids, 10 years younger then we were, would skate circles around us, and score at will. We went 0-for in the league, but we could have beat these women...
We were poor but had the best equipment from CCM, the leader in Hockey gear. A friend had a night watchman's job in the warehouse where they rented space.
It was kind of a miracle...the stuff would just fall out of the window,in the field behind the place, and just by sheer luck we would be there to catch it.

Deeman3
09-11-2008, 07:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It was kind of a miracle...the stuff would just fall out of the window,in the field behind the place, and just by sheer luck we would be there to catch it. </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000"> Can't fault a kid for such a nice save, a puck and stick dropped from a height. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

In high school we played a team in Memphis who were still wearing leather helmets in 1970! They were poor and proud and no one who ever played them laughed for long. Our last game of my junior year we knew we were getting new equipment in the Summer and our coach had us leave our stuff in the visitors locker room. They would have been too proud to take it if given directly but I bet their old equipment would be worth something today.</span>