PDA

View Full Version : How I envy Golfers

08-12-2002, 11:54 AM
Was watching the Buick Open yesterday, and the prize funds came up, wow, I just wish that kind of money was in pool.

It would be brilliant if there was a proper professional tour so players could play properly full time.

Does anyone know of any happenings amongst the governing bodies in pool to do this?

Cueless Joey
08-12-2002, 12:13 PM
Pool will never come close to golf's popularity. Golf is an outdoor sports. Corporate big wigs would rather watch and play golf than bowl or play pool. Golf is also a no-brainer to watch. How can anyone appreciate pool if they have no idea how pool is played? Heck, let's face it. More than half the people who play pool have no idea how to play it and will not watch pool on tv. Then there are a ton of players who are in it to hustle. None of them would watch pool on tv either. Hell one hustler in L.A. didn't recognize Efren. He challenged him to play 8-ball. $250 later he quit and had no idea who beat him. To this day I bet.
So you have players not watching pool on tv. Who's gonna watch?
On top of all these, there was Don Corleone Mackey.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-12-2002, 08:44 PM
Currently (after 24 events) the 150th ranked golfer is
Franklin Langham, and has only played in 14 events and has earned $207,928

Tiger Woods has only played in 12 events and has earned
$4,093,025

Guess we know where the money is...

The top 5 ranked pool players in the world.. would just about combine to match winnings with the 150th ranked golfer.

08-14-2002, 02:12 PM
The difference between Golf and Pool is that Golfers have brains. The majority of Pro Golfers are college grads while only 3 poolplayers have a college degree. I wrote a piece for the American Billiard Review 40 years ago saying that poolplayers should copy Golf. Forty years later they still haven't caught on so I believe they never will. ####

08-14-2002, 02:19 PM

heater451
08-14-2002, 03:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr>Just maybe pool players come mostly from the working class and below. You should have figured this out 40 years ago BOZO. <hr></blockquote>That is a perfect comedic delivery--as much as there can be one, in this medium. I'm still stifling laughter as I write this. . . .

BTW, has anyone ever mentioned, that at a certain point, golf is quite easy, compared to pool?

What I mean is, anyone can pick up the equipment and play both games, and it takes practice to become truly good in either, but I think a novice pool player can become more easily discouraged early on in learning. That is, I think it's harder for a beginner to sink balls on a pool table, than it is for a beginning golfer to smack a ball around until he finds the hole.

I'm not trying to say, absolutely, that golf is easier, as it is hard to be good at either game, but I'm willing to bet that more beginning golfers figure that they can **become** better at golf, than beginning pool players feel that they can become good at pool.

Mr Ingrate
08-14-2002, 03:09 PM
#### Leonard is one of the people on this board that I admire and respect. He has been contributing to this board for years. He knows, and has played (and beaten), many great players. You've been around what, a few months? Where do you get off calling him a bozo?

Lester
08-14-2002, 03:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> The difference between Golf and Pool is that Golfers have brains. The majority of Pro Golfers are college grads while only 3 poolplayers have a college degree. I wrote a piece for the American Billiard Review 40 years ago saying that poolplayers should copy Golf. Forty years later they still haven't caught on so I believe they never will. #### <hr></blockquote>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;#####Leonard - is that you stirring up the pot again? lol ***Lester***

08-14-2002, 03:17 PM

heater451
08-14-2002, 03:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr>"Well, if he wanted to decorate his saloon with my friend, he should have armed himself.<hr></blockquote>"Clint Eastwood as William Munny in Unforgiven, which incidentally also starred Gene Hackman. (Although, it's backwards, according to here: http://www.moviequotes.com/repository/titles/94195.html )

They also co-starred in Absolute Power, which was kinda crappy, but had another good line delivered by Clint: "Well, he made a mistake. . .YOU made a mistake." (Okay, I guess you had to be there. . . .)

Lester
08-14-2002, 03:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: heater451:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: whitewolf:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; "Well, if he wanted to decorate his saloon with my friend, he should have armed himself."&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven, which incidentally also starred Gene Hackman.

They also co-starred in Absolute Power, which was kinda crappy, but had another good line delivered by Clint: "Well, he made a mistake. . .YOU made a mistake." (Okay, I guess you had to be there. . . .) <hr></blockquote>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;In Absolute Power Clint Eastwood has caught the black secret service agent trying to kill his daughter. Clint has the needle in the agents neck with the plunger half down. The agent says "I was just doing what the president wanted" Clint says "Well he made a mistake, you made a mistake, you tried to hurt my little girl " The agent looks at him and says "Mercy", and Clint says "Sorry, I'm fresh out" and pushes the plunger down. I love that part, whenever it's on, I have to "be there" to see it. ***Lester***

08-15-2002, 09:41 AM
Dave it was to see your post I hope you are feeling well. I just wanted to add what golf did was stop match play and adopt medal play. Which added the whole course as a viewing area. They never would get 100,000 people watching 2 people play. Back when I wrote the piece, golf wasn't a college sport and most pros were equal to poolpros in lack of education etc. When Greenleaf was Champion pool was head and shoulders over golf. Golf pros couldn't even go into the clubhouse. Golfers owed getting into the clubhouse to Walter Hagen in the late 20s. THe one thing the Pros learned was that the money was in the private clubs not in public courses. That is the lesson that poolplayers have never learned that no one in the pool hall can drastically change their lot in life. Everyone in Westchester Country Club can change the poolplayers lot but they are not looking there.####

Mr Ingrate
08-15-2002, 10:51 AM
Hey ####,

Haven't seen you post for awhile. I agree with you that it is all about disposable income. Income is usually tied to education.

I've noticed that a good portion of the league players, at least the various leagues I've played in, are always behind with their fees, etc.

The golfers seem to have, and spend, considerable more. Of course, where else can one go out dressed like a pimp and not raise any comment? Well .... maybe curling.

I heard a rumor that Corey Deuel may prefer golf over pool!

bluewolf
08-16-2002, 07:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Mr Ingrate:</font><hr> #### Leonard is one of the people on this board that I admire and respect. He has been contributing to this board for years. He knows, and has played (and beaten), many great players. You've been around what, a few months? Where do you get off calling him a bozo? <hr></blockquote>

I dont know this leonard but thought that was an anonymous post. what gives?

bluewolf

Lester
08-16-2002, 07:12 AM
[quote=bluewolf&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

bluewolf

<hr></blockquote>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Bluewolf, Leonard is a poster to the CCB up until they changed software, and required membership. His posts were always informative, his stories interesting. He learned pool from Joe Balsis (the meatman) I think. He played many of the great players. He always signed his posts with 4 lb signs in front of his name. i.e. ####Leonard. Even though he posted anonymously, he signed the post #### and older CCB members thought of him right away. He's one of the good guys. ****Lester****

Chris Cass
08-16-2002, 07:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr>
bluewolf
<hr></blockquote>

Hi Bluewolf,

Leonard is extremely knowledgable in pool and has been instructing for yrs. He loves pool and has played players I could only dream of meeting let alone play with them.

True, not knowing him and reading the post one would get upset and fire like Whitewolf did. I know Leonard and it's killing him even more than us that pool isn't up there with golf. He's truley a remarkable man. No hard feelings here Whitewolf. Sometimes you have to see what unfolds. It's a shame we've had so many Anon posts that have been negitive lately.

Regards,

C.C.

bluewolf
08-16-2002, 07:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: bluewolf:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt;
bluewolf
&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

Hi Bluewolf,

Leonard is extremely knowledgable in pool and has been instructing for yrs. He loves pool and has played players I could only dream of meeting let alone play with them.

True, not knowing him and reading the post one would get upset and fire like Whitewolf did. I know Leonard and it's killing him even more than us that pool isn't up there with golf. He's truley a remarkable man. No hard feelings here Whitewolf. Sometimes you have to see what unfolds. It's a shame we've had so many Anon posts that have been negitive lately.

Regards,

C.C. <hr></blockquote>

thanks for the info, but how do i tell if it is him if it is posted as anonymous?

btw, i like pool better than golf. whitewolf loves the heat and would be content to play golf in 100 weather. i cannot stand the heat so i have play golf at 6am or 8pm or in the fall when it is cooler. at least with pool, you can play year round and still be comfortable. also, pool is less dependent on muscle masss than golf and more dependent on brains. so i like it better.

bluewolf

Kato
08-16-2002, 08:20 AM
Bluewolf, Leonard's posts will always have his call tag on them, "####". He is as Chris says, "one of the good guys". Leonard, nice to see you lurking still sir.

Kato

Mr Ingrate
08-16-2002, 11:45 AM
Wondering he uses the 4 ####'s? Once upon a time, DICK was considered a naughty word. When he typed Dick Leonard, it came out as #### Leonard.

Rod
08-16-2002, 01:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lester:</font><hr> [quote=bluewolf&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

bluewolf

&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Bluewolf, Leonard is a poster to the CCB up until they changed software, and required membership. His posts were always informative, his stories interesting. He learned pool from Joe Balsis (the meatman) I think. He played many of the great players. He always signed his posts with 4 lb signs in front of his name. i.e. ####Leonard. Even though he posted anonymously, he signed the post #### and older CCB members thought of him right away. He's one of the good guys. ****Lester**** <hr></blockquote>

Lester, I believe that was, Babe Cranfield. He knew Balsis and we both agree he was one of the true gentelman of the sport. I'd recognise that signature anytime, ####

PastPrime
08-16-2002, 06:59 PM
Heater, I like your posts but I believe you are far off base on golf vs. pool. Anybody, repeat Anybody can take a pool cue and play for 20 hours and learn to pocket some balls. No One, repeat no One can play golf for 20 hours and play decent golf. Twenty hours or 200 hours won't make the difference in golf that it makes in pool. The average golfer shoots about 100 and plays between 2-6 times per week. He can spend money on equipment, lessons, wild clothes and entry fees and he will still shoot 100. I hear golfers bragging that their handicap is 15 (probably really 18) and that means that golfer still shoots over 90 average (the average is arrived at by taking their BEST 10 scores out of the last 20 played...if they took all their scores they would be a 18-21 handicap) which is still really bad. However, I believe that a good pool player, bowler, hockey player, baseball, horseshoe thrower, darts player, etc. can be better than most at just about any of these sports he gets interested in. It's all related to hand/eye coordination, focus and being competitive. Also, a lot of it is the age entering the sport, peer groups and availability. Very few great athletes carry the same level of excellence over to another sport. Hoever, there is no reason not to have a great time playing any of these sports no matter the skill level. We all have special friends that we like to do different things with even though they may not be able to play a lick! Lets try to enjoy all the sports, both by playing them and observing others.

#### leonard
08-16-2002, 07:01 PM
Guys I forget to login and then I just post under anony I find this system much harder to post to so most times I just read. When I post a message I can't get back to the CCB I have to reload and start over again. I learned my pool from Joe Canton 1951 National Champion the finest position player I have ever watched play, Don Willis would always tell me Jimmy Moore would always say if he knew what Joe Knew about straight pool Mosconi would never beat him a game. Joes drawback was he was 5ft2-10 just shy of 5ft3. I didn't take offense to the comments. Your right about me chomping at the bit that pool is nowhere and golf is out of sight.

Just a pool/golf story when Joe and I ran the Albany Golden Cue we opened with Joe Balsis and Irving Crane and drew 200 people for 4 games. Six months later I played Irving Crane at Wolferts Roost CC in Albany. They drew 250+ people and they turned another 100 or so away because they didn't allow women in the mens club.That was when I knew pool had to be taken out of the pool halls and into the Country Clubs but when I mentioned that to poolplayers they just gave me the blank stare like I was crazy.####

heater451
08-16-2002, 08:48 PM
I understand what you are saying, but I don't think my point all that clear--so let me make it more confusing. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

What I was getting to, was that (IMO) a beginning golfer will believe that he can become good, because he can already perform the basics: hit the ball and repeat until done. I know that's oversimplification, because I personally can drive decently, and I put pretty well, but can't hit with an iron to save my life!--then again, I've only played full courses about 4 times ever, while I've been to the range several times, and I've played putt-putt lots when I was a kid (laugh, if you will, but it is a type of training).

Now, a beginning pool shooter is expected to do more than just make contact with the cue ball, in order to feel that they are doing well. (I also feel that there is a lot more conceptual thinking to be done 'up front' by a pool player, than a golfer, but that's another can of worms. . . .) The thing is, the novice shooter not only has to accomplish a skillfull shot, or series of shots, but has to do so, under a more immediate pressure of a win/lose situation.

. . .Going further off-base, imagine if a round of golf was played more like pool, where you were expected to hit a hole-in-one everytime, or if number of strokes didn't matter, but that the object of the game were to finish 9/18 holes first, and whenever you sank a ball, you got to immediately play the next hole. That would be pressure!

Okay, so that's not so good of an analogy--I don't even think it is an analogy. . . .

Let me try asking you this? Which is easier, racing cars, or racing motorcycles?. . . . .Right, neither, but more people would be able to start racing cars than motorcycle, because the learning curve for operating a cycle is steeper than a car. This is how I feel the difference between golf and pool is (somewhat).

Restating my previous post, "at a certain point, golf is easier than pool". I still think that it's easier for someone to START golf, than to start playing pool. And, again, I think that BOTH take a lot of time to become GOOD at.

Oh, and while writing this, I realized that my "laughing out loud" from the other post may be misleading. I was laughing at whitewolf's response to #### leonard. I was NOT humoured because I thought golf was easier than pool.

(Y'know, I feel like I'm in an argument, but I'm not trying to argue. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif )

========================

bluewolf
08-17-2002, 06:24 AM
golf requires more physical strngth than pool.imo golf requires strategie but pool requires more. golf requires eye hand coordination and so does pool but imo pool requires finer focus than does golf.

golf is more expensive and you have to play in crappy weather. with pool, you can always be comfortable.

i cant say which is easier, pool i can see the hope of being a good player in a reasonable period of time. golf it would take a lot longer to get better.

bluewolf