PDA

View Full Version : a song of sixpence....

wolfdancer
09-10-2008, 11:17 AM
...currency adjusted for today's economy...
"if wireless providers applied the per-byte pricing scheme they use for SMS texting to other data transmitted over their cellular networks, it would cost nearly $6,000 to download a single 4MB song. Yet the price of text messaging has doubled industrywide in the last three years."

Gayle in MD
09-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Some studies are suggesting that massive cell phone usage, as we have now, could be behind the disappearance of the honey bee.

Evidence is also emerging, that deep sea sonar use, and offshsore drilling for oil, is causing the self beaching of dolphins and whales, and their increasing confusion.

I haven't studied either, but both seem logical to me.

Deeman3
09-10-2008, 12:16 PM
I do know that studies once showed that whales could communicate around the world via only their "songs". Modern freighters have decade-by-decade drowned this out so that they may only be able to hear each other over a few miles now. That has to have an impact.

wolfdancer
09-10-2008, 02:40 PM
if them hump back whales can't hear each others love songs, then they can't get together and hump.
But getting back to the original post...it referred to the price gouging for text messages, which is now being investigated.
I've never sent a text, so it doesn't affect me, but probably the HS kids that seem to be addicted to texting.
Here in Washington, it's against the law to hold a cell phone to your ear while driving....but you can legally text.....hmmm

Sid_Vicious
09-10-2008, 02:50 PM
That us one techy money pit I avoided. It's stupid to get charged 25c per glib of text. It sure sells to moms and teenagers, but who's really surprised? sid

Deeman3
09-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Wolfdancer,

I just got a text message trying bilk me. It said, "We have closed your account because of unusual activity, call 810 299-4871." So I call, they ask for my credit card number so, of course, I hang up. I call my credit card company and they say it's a scam.

So for some, text messages may really get expensive. To my knowledge, this is the first time I've been in for this. I feel proud to be a target of the scammers. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Is this normal now? My credit card company (A/E) said they would pass it on to their fraud division. Can they seeks out and destroy a phone number or do they have to kill civilians as well? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif