PDA

View Full Version : 3000 Record Lows in July. Global Cooling Anybody?

Sev
10-03-2009, 11:20 AM
http://www.accuweather.com/mt-news-blogs...t_this_july.asp (http://www.accuweather.com/mt-news-blogs.asp?blog=weathermatrix&partner=&pgUrl=/mtweb/content/weathermatrix/archives/2009/07/1000_low_temp_records_set_this_july.asp)

Rut Row!!!

3,000 Low Temp Records Set This July!

NOTE: This blog entry has been superceded by a newer one which has updated stats.

DrudgeAlanche!

Thanks to all my new visitors who Commented on this blog entry when DrudgeReport.com linked over to me.

FINAL STATS: Drudge's link has earned me my normal Daily traffic EVERY 20 MINUTES this Sunday and Monday, and more Comments than my blog has gotten in THREE MONTHS. Here's a graph of hourly traffic compared to normal:

Here's a map showing the difference in visitor locations between Saturday (a normal day) and Sunday on a map by ClustrMaps.com (you can find this on the right hand side of my blog daily):

(ENLARGE SATURDAY VS. SUNDAY)

A FEW CLARIFICATIONS FOR DRUDGE READERS:

1. The article was not meant to be a commentary on Climate Change or Global Warming (which is why I uttered neither phrase), though I understand why some thought that it was, given the link source Cold OR warm outbreaks, by themselves, are not signs of Climate Change. I don't have a strong opinion on the topic myself, though I feel that we don't have enough data to make a decision. That said, if you're into that sort of thing, please read our Global Warming Blog which attempts to present opinions from both sides.

That said, here are some possibilities regarding Global Warming and this cool outbreak:

- Maybe it would have been worse (6,000? 10,000? Truly a year without a Summer?) without Global Warming?
- Maybe it is a symptom of Climate Change (temperatures bend to extremes instead of staying near the average)?
- Maybe it is a sign that Global Warming is not as bad as we thought?

2. My blog entry was not meant to cover all the weather on the Globe in July, it was meant to cover the unusually cool weather that most of the U.S. has experienced this month. I even went out of my way to mention the Southwest Heat Wave, but clearly some readers were only skimming. My blog is not meant to cover all weather worldwide all the time, I just pick out the interesting stories, and yes, I am more likely to blog about them if they affect me (due to limited blogging time) and I do live in the Northeast. We have a team of meteorologists publishing other stories if you're interested, just visit AccuWeather.com and check them out..

3. The year, overall, from a records perspective, is still biased to record-breaking highs. Blog reader Bill C. points out that, when you compare the number of Record Lows to Record Highs for 2009 so far on a monthly basis, you come up with more lows than highs since May, but more highs than lows before that. All said and done, he says, year-to-date there have been 1,820 more highs than lows broken. Here's a graph of the last year and a half - Note that the overall trend is UP (this graph added 7/27/09 AM).

4. These records don't tell the whole story. We will have a more comprehensive story in early August looking at ALL of the July data. Please hit AccuWeather.com then for details. This data was only through July 20th. An update through July 26th revealed the following for Records:

Record Lows (Updated Source):
New: 1,165 + Tied: 600 = Total: 1,765

Record Low Maximums (Updated Source):
New: 1,951 + Tied: 634 = Total: 2,585

TOTAL: 3,116 BROKEN; 4,350 INCLUDING TIES

Here's a new graph:

5. As I've told my readers before, Comments personally attacking or cursing will be deleted. Anything you wouldn't say to your own mother or a stranger on the street disqualifies you from engaging in discussion here.

6. Follow me on Twitter for more "interesting" weather news and check out the related resources mentioned above including our Global Warming

Sev
10-03-2009, 11:22 AM
The link to the updated stats.

http://www.accuweather.com/mt-news-blogs...rain_status.asp (http://www.accuweather.com/mt-news-blogs.asp?blog=community&pgUrl=/mtweb/content/weathermatrix/archives/2009/07/update_on_record_lows_highs_rain_status.asp)

llotter
10-03-2009, 08:05 PM
I moved to VA so I wouldn't have to shovel snow and have been happy that things were continuing to warm up. I sure hope don't have to buy another shovel.

Sev
10-03-2009, 09:40 PM
I am going to TN to do the same. And escape taxation.

wolfdancer
10-04-2009, 03:01 AM
you should forward your findings to Sen. James Inhofe, who apparently knows about as much about science as you do, and might need some back up when he goes to Copenhagen to debate Global Warming against real scientists.

Sev
10-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Oh so the Weather Channel and NOAA now have no qualified scientists????

Dont let the facts stand in the way of the agenda huh???

Gayle in MD
10-04-2009, 04:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you should forward your findings to Sen. James Inhofe, who apparently knows about as much about science as you do, and might need some back up when he goes to Copenhagen to debate Global Warming against real scientists.

</div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">Few things are funnier than a right wing nut, denying our current threatening climate change, and global warming.

Truly, if that isn't proof that the right is colossally ignorant, I don't know what is! </span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Sev
10-04-2009, 05:36 PM
End of the year is coming.
It should be interesting to see if we have back to back cooling.

By the way. It is actually natural for the planet to be a bit warmer than it is today. Kind of hard to explain silver mines that have been buried by glaciers for thousands of years otherwise.

cushioncrawler
10-04-2009, 06:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....I don't have a strong opinion on the topic myself, though I feel that we don't have enough data to make a decision.......</div></div>Sev -- That iznt logikal -- we do hav enuff data to make a decision.
If i told u that i heard that a big poofta with a big erexion and a big gun woz kreeping up a dark laneway towards u, and that u shood run away az fast az your little pegs can carry u, would u have a little yawn and a little stretch and tell me that u dont hav enuff data to make a decision?????????

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm -- On the other hand, perhaps i hav been missjudging u??????????? -- do u wear an earRing????????
madMac.

Sev
10-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Where the hell did that quote come from?????

Nope no jewelry.

Might snap a picture of it for youtube prior to fleeing.

cushioncrawler
10-04-2009, 06:59 PM
A FEW CLARIFICATIONS FOR DRUDGE READERS:

1. The article was not meant to be a commentary on Climate Change or Global Warming (which is why I uttered neither phrase), though I understand why some thought that it was, given the link source Cold OR warm outbreaks, by themselves, are not signs of Climate Change. I don't have a strong opinion on the topic myself, though I feel that we don't have enough data to make a decision. That said, if you're into that sort of thing, please read our Global Warming Blog which attempts to present opinions from both sides.

That said, here are some possibilities regarding Global Warming and this cool outbreak:

Sev
10-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Phew. I thought I was loosing my mind. I knew I didnt say that.

wolfdancer
10-04-2009, 10:04 PM
I have no real knowledge on the issue, just formed an opinion based on what I've read and the pictures that I've seen...especially the events occurring at the N Pole.
Seems every Bush fan here, lww, Steve, Sev, has suddenly acquired a pHd in climatology???....and now post as experts on the subject.
I'm not too sure they knows where the N. Pole is....
I haven't been there myself, but did make the Artic Ocean, and was under the ice pack....which means I know about as much about Global Warming as they do.....but at least I have an open mind, and don't depend on Bill O'Really to tell me when to change my thinking. They, the RW think tank here, apparently don't know what yearly average temperature means, confusing it with short term temps.
But, in the end it really doesn't matter that they think it's a joke, or that you and I consider that it is a real event, and something to be very concerned about.

LWW
10-05-2009, 04:43 AM
“Unless we announce disasters no one will listen.”
-Sir John Houghton-
First chairman of IPCC

LWW

LWW
10-05-2009, 04:44 AM
“It doesn’t matter what is true, it only matters what people believe is true.”
-Paul Watson-
Co-founder of Greenpeace

LWW

LWW
10-05-2009, 04:46 AM
“Isn’t the only hope for the planet that the industrialized civilizations collapse? Isn’t it our responsibility to bring that about?”
- Maurice Strong-
Founder of the UN Environment Programme

LWW

Sev
10-05-2009, 08:21 AM
No it is not.
Global warming as well as cooling happens. Always has.

Trying to reduce overall pollution however is of importance.

LWW
10-05-2009, 09:44 AM
"No matter if the science of global warming is all phony, climate change provides the greatest opportunity to bring about justice and equality in the world.“
-Christine Stewart-
fmr Canadian Minister of the Environment

LWW

wolfdancer
10-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Wow !!! nothing like getting an expert opinion on the topic.
I'll call all the researchers that are now involved, and tell them to save their time and $$$....since we now have a definitive answer. When you present your findings at Copenhagen, bring along lww to support your conclusions. I'm sure that you both will be
......warmly received!!!

pooltchr
10-05-2009, 05:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....but at least I have an open mind, </div></div>

Thanks! I needed a good laugh today!

Steve

wolfdancer
10-05-2009, 06:12 PM
an open mind as opposed to this Fox News broadcast that you listen to nightly:
Glenn Beck (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8)

Sev
10-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Exactly.

You in the beginning there was this vast cloud of particulate material. It slowly coalesced into a giant molten ball which slowly began to cool. Then the heavy elements sank to the core while the lighter ones floated to the top. Volconism was know far and wide. While this was occurring gases were released which formed a primitive atmosphere.
Enter the Precambrian
As the cooling continued hydrogen and oxygen combined to formed H2O or for the lay person water. Thus the seas were formed.
Primitive microbes ruled the world. The first tectonic plates were formed.

The temperature of the planet for the next few billion years was quite balmy you see.

Then we fast forward to the Jurassic, Triassic and Cretatious. Still quite balmy on Pangaea. With the occasional glacial age.
We have some more vulcanism the occassional asteroid impact.
The the dinosaurs go extinct about a 65 million years ago. Still quite balmy.

Enter the rise of the mammals. Cute little mice like critters for a little while.

Fast forward through a few more ice ages and glacial events, some nice balmy weather in between, some continental drift and it 10,000 years ago. The tail end of the last ice age. Rather large mammals are roaming North America. Well until humans brought biological contagion with their arrival that wiped them out. But that is another story for another time.

Now it is agreed that we are still coming out of the last ice age. In between now and then there have been some pretty noticeable temperature swings.

Enter the 21st century. Approx 6.5 billion bipeds most of whom could not tell you the direction in which the sun rises on any given day. Much less have any idea of the geological history of the planet. But somehow they come to the conclusion that 1 century of human development actually trumps the 4 billion years of this planets history.

I think not.

More like an attempt at a new world order that's sole purpose is to dictate every aspect of human behavior.

Well not to bore you with the geological details of our little blue marble.

wolfdancer
10-05-2009, 07:09 PM
are you finished?...sorry, I fell asleep halfway through that drivel. The new thinking then from the ccb think tank is that Co2 plays no part in global warming....hallelujah !!! praise Baby J.
Now I can get me that Hummer I been wanting to drive and not be concerned 'bout no emissions 'cept my own after eating some Bush's baked beans.

Sev
10-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Nope it doesnt.
It does aid in fantastic plant growth though. Which by the way plants filter at an enormous rate.

I would take a good look at the big yellow ball in the sky. Some people think it throws off heat. Lots of it even. It even cools sometimes.

Water vapor content is the biggest contributor to global warming or lack there of to cooling. Not CO2.

Oh by the way why is the temperature of Mars changing? Last I checked there was no industry there.

pooltchr
10-05-2009, 07:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Oh by the way why is the temperature of Mars changing? Last I checked there was no industry there.
</div></div>

Oh, I think there is life on mars. Where else could some of the insanity of the left here on earth come from??? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Steve

Sev
10-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Interesting point.
Perhaps I can get NASA to take a look with the Hubble.

wolfdancer
10-05-2009, 10:24 PM
"Oh, I think there is life on mars. Where else could some of the insanity of the left here on earth come from???"
I've been thinking the same thing about N.C......there must be intelligent there.....somewhere...unless the inbreeding has severely depleted the gene pool

eg8r
10-06-2009, 07:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but at least I have an open mind, and don't depend on Bill O'Really to tell me when to change my thinking.</div></div>Nope, gaylio tells you what to think.

eg8r