PDA

View Full Version : 9 Ball Breaking Advice?

08-12-2002, 01:24 PM
I've been playing pool for years now, and I'm finally beyond the days of not knowing what's going to happen when I hit the cue ball. So as I'm becoming more advanced, I'm learning new tricks of the trade. But one of them has seemed to elude me despite hours of experimentation. I've seen professionals consistently make the 1 ball in the far side pocket on the break in 9-ball, but after trying to imitate them at every possible angle (with & without english, backspin, follow, etc.) the 1 ball never comes back towards me enough to go in. Any suggestions???

~Dave

08-12-2002, 03:53 PM
I have the same problem. I have been playing 4 years now. My game is extremely solid, except for my break. If I could master a break I would be happy. Some days It's working for me, some it Isn't. We need help.

Jay M
08-12-2002, 05:06 PM
First thing to realize is that the one in the side shot is used mostly with the Sardo Rack. They rack the 9 on the spot, so the one is closer to the side.

With the 9 on the spot, place the cue as far over as you are allowed and aim to cut the one into the first diamond on the end rail, opposite the side you break from. Hit the shot with low outside english to bring the cue back out to the center of the table. It's an effective break.

Jay M

Tom_In_Cincy
08-12-2002, 05:09 PM
Where does the one ball usually go on your breaks?

I like to break from either the left or right sides of the table.. about a half or sometimes full diamond away from the side rails.

I aim directly at the one ball to be able to hit it full. Like I am driving it into the end rail.

I use a center ball hit ONLY. If its a good rack.. the one ball will travel towards the opposite side pocket from the breaking side of the table.

Try slowing down your break speed and hitting the cue ball with center, and focusing on hitting the one ball full.

08-13-2002, 08:42 AM

Lester
08-13-2002, 09:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Jay M:</font><hr>
With the 9 on the spot, place the cue as far over as you are allowed and aim to cut the one into the first diamond on the end rail, opposite the side you break from. Hit the shot with low outside english to bring the cue back out to the center of the table. It's an effective break.

Jay M <hr></blockquote>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;I was shown a regular break (one ball on the spot) that pockets the one in the side, or right corner if you miss the side. The cue ball is placed 1 1/2 to 2 inches from the right rail. Using the rail as a bridge you strike the cue ball just below the center line, with the cue stick slightly elevated - very hard. Think of this as a jump shot because if done properly, the cue ball jumps 3 to 5 inches straight up upon hitting the one ball (above center). The impact forces the one ball under the cue ball to the left side pocket. This break works, but is very hard to master. ***Lester***

Lester
08-13-2002, 09:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> Jay M &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

Seriously, they rack the 9 ball on the spot normally reserved for the one ball?! I have continually been reading this in a bunch of posts in a glossing-over fashion. Where have I been lately?? <hr></blockquote>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Yes Whitewolf, when they started using the Sardo with the one on the spot, they discovered that the wing ball went every time. So they started racking with the 9 on the spot, and players developed the soft break to make the one in the side. There is alot of controversy over this. ***Lester***

Eric.
08-13-2002, 09:56 AM
It's an older post and I was too lazy to write it again. Good luck.
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=16146&amp; Search=true&amp;Forum=All_Forums&amp;Words=Eric.&amp;Match=Use rname&amp;Searchpage=3&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=1610 6

08-13-2002, 12:52 PM
Are you seeing this happen on televised matches? If so, what you are seeing is mostly the result of the way the balls are racked.

On most televised matches, they are using the Sardo tightrack, and racking the 9 on the spot. With all nine balls frozen, and the 9 on the spot, it is very easy to make the one in the opposite side, with a soft break. That cannot be done nearly as consistently with a traditional rack and the one on the spot.

Rod
08-13-2002, 01:23 PM
Thats where it is Whitewolf, due to the Sardo. Sometimes I wonder, well I don't wander I know it is not a step forward in the history of pool. Rather a step backwards. On the positive side it does generate sponsor money from SD Bros.

08-15-2002, 07:05 AM
Unless you are using a Sardo or are not inpecting every rack you break, I would give up on the soft break. I have overcome breaking problems by practicing hitting at 80% speed with a largely exagerrated follow thru; I end up with the cue pointing at and not far from the foot spot. That helped me slowly get my whole arm and body into the break. If you are getting three or so balls to hit the head rail, you'll be making at least a ball 60-70% of the time. The pro's are playing with clean balls, new felt and a tight rack. Too many unknowns to soft break and leave an open table for your opponents. I bought a radar gun to clock my break and resold it on ebay for a $25 dollar loss and it helped me alot. Good luck.