PDA

View Full Version : Lights = In the Zone?

jht1953
10-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Monday night a friend had a Monday Night Football/Show off new game room party. He had his table recovered, new light, and a new 52" flat screen. Well, the point is I couldn't miss, the lighting seemed perfect, everything was crystal clear. I asked him about the lighting, he said he had some new kind of "daylight full spectrum fluorescent lights" anyone heard of this? I highly recomend it, the lighting made a huge difference in the way I was seeing the balls, like seeing the seams on a fast ball.

Soflasnapper
10-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Well, maybe that's the reason, maybe not.

It's hard to beat a Diamond lighting set up for lighting up the table and balls for maximum visibility, but I've not heard anyone give that set up any credit for better playing.

But it's probably true that the older versions of the Diamond lights I've experienced did not use daylight full spectrum lighting, leaving an opening that it is the quality of that lighting giving you that experience.

But maybe check your biorhythm chart. Sometimes we play better or worse in cycles, and maybe this was just an up cycle for you?

pooltchr
10-07-2009, 01:48 PM
EWveryone has good nights and bad nights. It's normal to look for a reason for the good ones, as well as the bad ones.

I got this new cue and shot two balls better. This is a great cue.

I got this new cue and couldn't buy a pocket. This cue sucks!

Take credit for playing well when you do, and accept responsibility when you don't. But don't get caught in the trap of blaming or crediting outside influences for your play. You are the one moving that cue stick.

Steve

cushioncrawler
10-07-2009, 04:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jht1953</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Monday night a friend had a Monday Night Football/Show off new game room party. He had his table recovered, new light, and a new 52" flat screen. Well, the point is I couldn't miss, the lighting seemed perfect, everything was crystal clear. I asked him about the lighting, he said he had some new kind of "daylight full spectrum fluorescent lights" anyone heard of this? I highly recomend it, the lighting made a huge difference in the way I was seeing the balls, like seeing the seams on a fast ball. </div></div>Mightbe the overall amount of light helped vizion, rather than the daylite quality. Wiki sez
".....As in a photographic lens, visual acuity is affected by the size of the pupil. Optical aberrations of the eye that decrease visual acuity are at a maximum when the pupil is largest (about 8 mm), which occurs in low-light conditions. When the pupil is small (12 mm), image sharpness may be limited by diffraction of light by the pupil (see diffraction limit). Between these extremes is the pupil diameter that is generally best for visual acuity in normal, healthy eyes; this tends to be around 3 or 4 mm......"
madMac.

wolfdancer
10-07-2009, 08:11 PM
When Jeff Bey opened the new Hollywood Billiards, down in N. Hollywood, I went down there to see the place. His lighting system was awesome, better then anything I had ever seen...and he used daylight fluorsecent bulbs.
I liked them so much, that I use the screw in type daylight bulbs,, not the tubes ,for my home table, in warehouse light fixtures, from the past. They seem to be to be more efficient , more lumens?, lighting then the reg fluor. and don't tire my eyes.
Everybody here likes them.
Didn't help my pool game though....I still can't see the seams

10-08-2009, 10:50 AM
I can't say with any authority (about the lights). I do know that when I am "in the zone", it seems like all the balls are "clearer". It seems more like I am focusing on everything real crisp.

I've been "in the zone" on well lit tables, not so well lit and flat out dingy bars too. Maybe the lights can have something to do with it but, IMO, I don't think so.

Eric

KellyStick
10-13-2009, 06:48 PM
I'd be afraid of making my home table so perfect that I can't stand to play anywhere else because the equipment sucks so bad. On the other hand I'll probably watch this thread to see if I can make my lighting better. I just replaced my 9 year old flourecents with new low quality shop lights from home depot. The ballasts were getting cranky and one night one of them threated to catch on fire. Smelly, stinky. I use 2 double row flourescents with a hanging cloth shroud around the sides to keep the light from going beyond the table. This makes the light outside of the table... well dark as there is none.. and the light on the playing surface brighter. The cloth shroud keeps the inadvertant raised cue from hitting anything that will cause a dent or scratch.