PDA

View Full Version : US Passport Renewal Question, Bust The Locks???

Sid_Vicious
10-07-2009, 03:47 PM
I have a passport obtained in 1980, not renewed any time afterwards, certainly out of the 15 year window for easy renewal. I'm in the first stages today of applying on line for a passport, and this point it asks if I have a past pass book. Thing is, the PP I have is in a locked briefcase covered in dust and cob webs,..the kicker is I have no 30 year memory of the combo so I'd have to bust off the locks if it that imperative today to get the book out.

Is there any real need in getting this old PP since the 15 year limit has passed, or is it just as simple to apply as a new applicant and re-discover the lock codes on this brief case in due time, avoiding ruining a perfectly good brief case?

I just know some of you people here have much more experience in travel than I do. TIA sid

pooltchr
10-07-2009, 04:08 PM
A "perfectly good" briefcase that is covered in dust and cobwebs doesn't sound like it would be that big of a loss to me. You obviously haven't used it in quite some time.
There is a basic rule of decluttering your life that says if you haven't used something in 2 years, you probably don't need it anyway.
Steve

wolfdancer
10-08-2009, 01:28 AM
Sid, can't help you with the lock, but I had a slight problem getting my passport ( It weren't really).....the question was did you ever go by another name, and I did, until age 10.... well I didn't have to go into a closed room and face a third degree, etc.....but I am probably on some suspected terrorist list now??
I am planning on going back to Canada in the next couple of months,and thought passports were only good for a couple of years now? and that I needed to renew mine???
I hope they don't figure out that I was one of the two guys that built that garage, sans any permits, for the other guy's Son, near Vancouver, Ca....they might lock me up so deep, they'll have to pipe sunlight to me
What the heck good is a briefcase to you....that you can't open, anyway?....jog your memory...you might have used a number ...birthday, anniversary, that you can remember.
OR just tell them you had a passport some years ago, and lost it....that should resolve the problem....they'll have the data on file.

Gayle in MD
10-08-2009, 06:28 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a passport obtained in 1980, not renewed any time afterwards, certainly out of the 15 year window for easy renewal. I'm in the first stages today of applying on line for a passport, and this point it asks if I have a past pass book. Thing is, the PP I have is in a locked briefcase covered in dust and cob webs,..the kicker is I have no 30 year memory of the combo so I'd have to bust off the locks if it that imperative today to get the book out.

Is there any real need in getting this old PP since the 15 year limit has passed, or is it just as simple to apply as a new applicant and re-discover the lock codes on this brief case in due time, avoiding ruining a perfectly good brief case?

I just know some of you people here have much more experience in travel than I do. TIA sid </div></div>

Sid,
The important thing to have is a copy of your birth certificate.
If you call your local Post Office, they can tell you about the necessity of the old passport, probably none, since it is so old, so look instead for your birth certificate. If you have that, getting yur passport renewed is a snap.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

dg-in-centralpa
10-08-2009, 08:12 AM
Sid,
I just went through this earlier this year. I had a passport 30 years ago and never renewed it. I didn't have it anymore, so I just applied as a new applicant and it took about 6 weeks to receive it. I went to our local courthouse and went to the Prothonotary office, and took care of it. You need it to go to Canada now. Good luck!

DG

Gayle in MD
10-08-2009, 08:32 AM
How to Renew Your Passport
Step 1Download the U.S. state department form DS-82. This is the passport renewal form for those who have existing passports. A link to this form is posted below.

Step 2Date and sign your passport renewal application. Fill out all the spaces in the document that pertain to you. Read it carefully. Because this takes some time for approval, you would hate to not have completely filled out the form.

Step 3Get two passport photos taken. You can have this done at many post office branches, photography stores, drug stores and photocopy places.

Step 4Mail in your completed passport renewal form with the two passport photos and a $75 fee that is made out to the U.S. State Department.

Step 5Include a certified copy of any documents that prove that you've changed your name since your last renewal or initial application, if you have changed your name recently.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2338236_renew-passport.html

Chopstick
10-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Where you going Sydney? Sellin your gold to raise cash, diggin out your old passport.

Are ya goin down to Costa Rica to give the chicas a run or something? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Sid_Vicious
10-10-2009, 12:26 PM
I appreciate all the help. Another question: When they ask for current spouses name, or most recent spouses name, do you put in your ex's maiden name or the married name? Also, the question of where she was born(EX), I can only guess it was in her town she was raised in, but there's no way I'm able to get that information after 15 years, and it was a tiny town. I wouldn't care to run her down for it if I even could.

Thanks again. I'm at the easy parts to get this done, but I sure don't want a delay due to something stupid like an ex-wife's name and birthplace. sid

Sid_Vicious
10-10-2009, 12:27 PM
"Are ya goin down to Costa Rica to give the chicas a run or something?"

All chicas run from me here, no sense in spending money to have that done :-( sid

Chopstick
10-11-2009, 07:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Are ya goin down to Costa Rica to give the chicas a run or something?"

All chicas run from me here, no sense in spending money to have that done :-( sid </div></div>

"Do not concern yourself with avoiding temptation. When you get older, it will avoid you."

-Winston Churchill

I'll buy you some lap dances when I get down to Dallas again. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Deeman3
10-12-2009, 07:25 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I appreciate all the help. Another question: When they ask for current spouses name, or most recent spouses name, do you put in your ex's maiden name or the married name? Also, the question of where she was born(EX), I can only guess it was in her town she was raised in, but there's no way I'm able to get that information after 15 years, and it was a tiny town. I wouldn't care to run her down for it if I even could.

Thanks again. I'm at the easy parts to get this done, but I sure don't want a delay due to something stupid like an ex-wife's name and birthplace. sid </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000"> Sid,

Last time I renewed an expired PP I was overseas and put my ex's full name Given - Maiden - My Name (still her current last name)

I don't think you will run up against any real problems if you don't give the proper county she was born in as, unless she is on a "list", these are mostly records, not investigatory tools.

Remember to make a photcopy of your PP and tuck it into something you will not lose in case you lose it. This saves a ton of time if you get stuck out of country and end up at an Embasy looking for a replacement. Declare your old expired PP as lost. I have even lost one and found it after replacing it.

Remember, as Barney says, "What happens in Thailand stays in Thailand, except for the infection." /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Have fun....but watch that Canadian Health Care....</span>