PDA

View Full Version : George Fels' Column in July BD

08-13-2002, 05:23 AM
I always look forward to reading George Fels' column in BD. Mr. Fels doesn't romanticize characters or situations; he observes clearly, describes honestly, and makes points that mean something to adult readers.

I found "Racking by Hand" especially satisfying, probably because I identified to some extent with Harry Paul--an absolutely unromantic character--and because Mr. Fels reacted strongly to Ray Maples. "A plump vicious oaf with an even fatter mouth" is damn good writing and describes a type I really dislike. Mr. Fels can balance detachment and indignation, and that isn't easy.

Thanks for the good stuff, George.

D.M.

08-13-2002, 02:25 PM
You're more than welcome, Duke, and thank YOU for the feedback. I like your moniker, too; I'm very possibly the only poster here who's old enough to remember "The Petrified Forest". Thanks again for writing. Glad you liked the column. GF

Tom_In_Cincy
08-13-2002, 02:51 PM
George,
I celebrated my 25th anniversary of my 29th birthday last year.. and I remember "The Petrified Forest" also.

BD is the only periodical that I always go to the last page FIRST, to see what GF has written...

NH_Steve
08-13-2002, 08:14 PM
I head straight to the last page as well (you know what they say about dessert first /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif )! Naturally the occasional mention of one pocket perks my interest, too /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

PS How's that Talisman tip working out -- still got the magic touch??

08-13-2002, 08:30 PM
George, I don't know the man's name, but in the 60's Minnisota Fats had a man that traveled with him when he did exibitions that racked by hand. Jim R.

08-14-2002, 09:56 AM
Besides my inexplicable success with it, Steve, the notable thing about that Talisman tip was that it only lasted about eight weeks! It was worn down completely by then; when the tip guy removed what was left, it was all soft and squishy like a sponge. We now think it was a Talisman PROTOTYPE - Talisman agrees - and I've been using Moori softs.

My thanks to you and Tom for the kind words, and Tom, I just celebrated my THIRTY-fifth anniversary of the same birthday. GF