PDA

View Full Version : Wow, Hillary Clinton's Approval Ratings Soar!

Gayle in MD
10-15-2009, 07:17 AM
It is really wonderful that Hillary Clinton has done such a fine job, and her approval ratings are now showing high marks of appreciation from the majority of Americans.

Kudos Hillary! It's about time you were recognized for you consistant hard work, grace and poise.

Gayle in Md.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/25/clinton.poll/index.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By Paul Steinhauser
CNN Deputy Political Director

(CNN) -- As Hillary Clinton flies to Mexico for a high-level summit, a new national poll indicates seven in 10 Americans are happy with the job she's doing as secretary of state.

Americans like Hillary Clinton's work as secretary of state, according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll.

Seventy-one percent of people questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. survey released Wednesday said they approve of how Clinton is handling her job as America's top diplomat. Fewer than one in four disapprove.

"Nine in 10 Democrats approve of Clinton -- that's no surprise," said Keating Holland, CNN's polling director. "But by a 50 percent to 43 percent margin, Republicans also think she is doing a good job at the State Department. That's an interesting result for a polarizing figure like Clinton."

The poll's release comes as Clinton teams up with Mexican officials to kick off weeks of meetings intended to find ways to fight drug violence on both sides of the U.S.-Mexican border. The Obama administration on Tuesday announced a major increase in security funding and agent deployments along the border.

"Since taking office in January, Clinton has been at the White House nearly every day, meeting with President Obama, Vice President [Joseph] Biden and other members of the Cabinet and national security staff," said CNN State Department producer Elise Labott. "The secretary maintains close ties with her former colleagues on Capitol Hill and meets regularly with congressional leaders."

The former first lady, senator from New York and one-time primary rival to Obama already has clocked close to 60,000 miles in her first two trips overseas -- one journey to China, the other to the Middle East and Europe -- since becoming secretary of state in January.

Clinton was met by large crowds and warmly received by world leaders on both trips, although "she met some criticism in Beijing, where she was criticized for a lower-key approach that seemed to downplay the importance of human rights in the overall relationship with China," Labott said.

"Her aides said she wanted a new approach to dealing with China's human rights record, including less public criticism and more private discussions, which may prove more productive in changing Chinese behavior."

Clinton's approval rating is higher than that of her boss: The same CNN/Opinion Research poll put Obama's approval rating at 64 percent, 7 percentage points lower than Clinton's.

Clinton has a couple of advantages over Obama in public opinion today, Holland said.

"She hasn't had a prominent role in the administration's economic or budget policies," he said. "There haven't been any international issues that have caused as much outrage as the AIG bonuses. And her name wasn't on the ballot in November, so any partisan animosity to her that is left over from 2008 is not as fresh in the public's mind."

Clinton's approval rating is also 10 percentage points higher than the one her predecessor, Condoleezza Rice, had in March 2005, then two months into her tenure as secretary of state.

The CNN/Opinion Research poll of 1,019 Americans was conducted by telephone March 12-15. The survey's sampling error is plus or minus 3 percentage points.
</div></div>

Deeman3
10-15-2009, 08:12 AM
Was it not just last week the media was asking her why she had been marginalized by the White House and now, it seems that her trip to Russia was met by a slap in the face by Putin specifically rejecting her request for sanctions on Iran after Obama gave away the Eastern Europe Missle Defense package?

This seems an attempt to legitimize her "success" by citing a poll that may just be a reaction to her not being in the news so much lately.

At least she has pubically given up the ghost on ever running for President again. Face it, Obama successfully hid her from public view by appointing her to the position and while she is amrginalized, at least he does not have to fight her anymore in the Senate.

By the way, the charge that she has been marginalized is not from the right, but the left. Now she is considering retirement. That may eb the only way she can get back in the news on a regualr basis, by walking next to Bill more often. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Gayle in MD
10-15-2009, 08:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was it not just last week the media was asking her why she had been marginalized by the White House and now, it seems that her trip to Russia was met by a slap in the face by Putin specifically rejecting her request for sanctions on Iran after Obama gave away the Eastern Europe Missle Defense package?

This seems an attempt to legitimize her "success" by citing a poll that may just be a reaction to her not being in the news so much lately.

At least she has pubically given up the ghost on ever running for President again. Face it, Obama successfully hid her from public view by appointing her to the position and while she is amrginalized, at least he does not have to fight her anymore in the Senate.

By the way, the charge that she has been marginalized is not from the right, but the left. Now she is considering retirement. That may eb the only way she can get back in the news on a regualr basis, by walking next to Bill more often. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

I guess you missed the part about how she is in the White House everyday, working with the President and Vice President.

While her tenure is barely off the ground in terms of length, it would serve us well to realize that eight months is barely a start when it comes to any kind of major negotiations successes. I see, for example, she has outdone her predecessor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Was it not just last week the media was asking her why she had been marginalized by the White House

<span style="color: #000066">Oh, so you are now FOR the media's spin, since it is bad about Hillary? LOL, but against it when it's a media poll which is complimentary to her approval rating? How can one be considered marginalized when they have been either flying to another country for policy conferences, or in the White House working with the President?</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="color: #000066">Seems to me she's been everywhere, but I suppose if one only watches Fox, they wouldn't know that. Hillary and Gates were just together in an hour long interview, for example.

She has been on quite a few other television programs, both cable and network.

Maybe someone is grabbing for the remote. when she is advertised as a guest? </span>

<span style="color: #000066">Actually they were pretty much on the same page in the Senate. They were good friends, and remain good friend still. Just as she is a very good friend of Robert Gates, which was evident during their recent joint appearance. </span>

By the way, the charge that she has been marginalized is not from the right, but the left.

<span style="color: #000066">Really? Oh, well that explains everything, obviously, since many from the left wanted her to be President, naturally, they'd prefer to see more of her, and with more power in her very qualified hands.

I don't recall Putin slapping her in the face. I think that would ahve surely made the news, however, I have observed over the years, that sensitive negotiations take some time, and are seldom, if ever achieved on the first meeting about any particular policy.

</span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Now she is considering retirement. That may eb the only way she can get back in the news on a regualr basis, by walking next to Bill more often. </div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">Since they are both very hard and dedicated public servants, I would guess they will be working for the disadvantaged people around the world for as log as they remain healthy enough to do so, and most high profile Democratics do. I'm sure she will enter public service when she retires from Government service, so unfortunitely for you, my friend, you will be seeing more of her, not less of her, so oil up that remote! </span>

and now, it seems that her trip to Russia was met by a slap in the face by Putin specifically rejecting her request for sanctions on Iran after Obama gave away the Eastern Europe Missle Defense package?
</div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">Quite a slant you lay out there friend.

Actually, the President followed the advice of Secretary Gates, (Oh did I mention he's very fond of Hillary?) who advised him that previous plans were actually anachronistic in terms of costs, and actual current threats.

Gates's opinion is that short range, at this time, is far more necessary than long range, and the costs of the original Missile defense, was a waste of our money, and the equipment, already obsolete.

As I understand the decision, all of the Joint chiefs were in agreement on changing both the location, and the type.

</span>

Deeman3
10-15-2009, 09:12 AM
I agree about the short sightedness of the Missle system but it was a bargaining chip that was given away for nothing, made apparent by HRC's visit this week.

I, for one, don't mind seeing Hillary on the TV. If she retires and does some of the good work her husband has done, she will make a contribution as you have said. Perhaps even a Nobel Peace Prize or two. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Although I have never trusted her, I told you before I thought she would make a more effective and pragmatic President than Obama, and perhaps McCain.

I do like to needle you on Hillary, you know. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif If I believed half the stuff I joke about when discussing her, I'd be going by the last name of Hannity.....

I do really think, if she had stayed in the Senate, she would have left a much larger legacy, approaching Ted Kennedy in a few years. I would not agree with a lot of her positions but she might have had that much impact. I think she, while the White House is scrambling to show she is not cubbyholed, has made a mistake in getting in the admministration. We'll see if I am wrong. Her middle east policy would be much more sound than anything we are hearing now. Of course, as bright as I thinnk I am, I would not want to have to figure out a strategy right now. All the world is looking to Obama to solve this but almost no other country will really help him. As I said, I will stand behind his final decision as my President.

Gayle in MD
10-15-2009, 09:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree about the short sightedness of the Missle system but it was a bargaining chip that was given away for nothing, made apparent by HRC's visit this week.

I, for one, don't mind seeing Hillary on the TV. If she retires and does some of the good work her husband has done, she will make a contribution as you have said. Perhaps even a Nobel Peace Prize or two. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Although I have never trusted her, I told you before I thought she would make a more effective and pragmatic President than Obama, and perhaps McCain.

I do like to needle you on Hillary, you know. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif If I believed half the stuff I joke about when discussing her, I'd be going by the last name of Hannity.....

I do really think, if she had stayed in the Senate, she would have left a much larger legacy, approaching Ted Kennedy in a few years. I would not agree with a lot of her positions but she might have had that much impact. I think she, while the White House is scrambling to show she is not cubbyholed, has made a mistake in getting in the admministration. We'll see if I am wrong. Her middle east policy would be much more sound than anything we are hearing now. Of course, as bright as I thinnk I am, I would not want to have to figure out a strategy right now. All the world is looking to Obama to solve this but almost no other country will really help him. As I said, I will stand behind his final decision as my President. </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree about the short sightedness of the Missle system but it was a bargaining chip that was given away for nothing, made apparent by HRC's visit this week.
</div></div>
I think it's too soon to tell, for one thing, and also, we can't afford to waste money on things that do not serve us well in that region, IMO.

Here is what I am thrilled about.

I love Robert Gates, and you know about my admiration for Hillary's intellect, and work ethic, and while people make fun of Biden, believe me, he spent more time studying foreign affairs with our Intelligence Agencies, and the Military, than any other senator on the Hill, as did Hillary, also. She had the reputation for going weekly, without fanfare, to the experts for information and appraisals of where we stood throughout her senatororial tenure.

the fact that all of them like and respect one another, will serve us all well. Ending the in-fighting between State, Esecutive, Defense and Military, is the very best shot at good policy.

Hence, I am trustful that we will make huge strides in foreign affairs over the next four years, if we just don't get too bogged down in Afghanistan.

The good news is that Pakistan is now going after the militants on their own, in a big way, which I think has been the greatest achievement of our team so far. WE did play a role in that you know.

"It's a good thing" as Martha would say. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

So all in all, I am very relieved, knowing that this is a tem of people who like and respect one another's opinions.

wolfdancer
10-15-2009, 01:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That may eb the only way she can get back in the news on a regualr basis, by walking next to Bill more often. \:\) </div></div>
Would you suggest walking a step behind and to the right then, to show the proper deference?

wolfdancer
10-15-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm amazed that she choose to "stay in the game", since she already has fame and fortune, and clearly has no chance of returning to the WH.
You would think she would do the smart thing, like Dick and his dupe....
$$$ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFGZufk4HFs)

wolfdancer
10-15-2009, 01:37 PM
Gayle, good post....I'd like to see more posts like yours and Dee's where you both make your positive points re your respective positions, and leave the petty infighting, rude commentary, etc for those here, sitting in the "cheap seats"
I could then act as an intermediary between the two groups. It's when the two distinct groups try to converse, that is the root cause of the controversy here....a variation on "Games People Play".

Chopstick
10-15-2009, 01:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Poll?? I'll tell you a poll I'd like to see. Go to any city in America and see how many people out of ten even know who Hillary Clinton is, much less what she does. Majority of Americans my a$$.

Deeman3
10-15-2009, 01:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That may eb the only way she can get back in the news on a regualr basis, by walking next to Bill more often. \:\) </div></div>
Would you suggest walking a step behind and to the right then, to show the proper deference? </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000"> Just like our women do. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Just kidding. of course. There may be photos of me carrying shopping bags or something behind mine. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif</span>

Sev
10-15-2009, 02:33 PM
I hope her ratings keep going up.
I will be nice to see her run against Obama in 2012.

llotter
10-16-2009, 06:26 AM
About the best that can be said of Hillary is that she has avoided adverse headlines since being First Lady. I know of no significant accomplishments or any particular talent or expertise but next to The Moron, she does look relatively good. She is a member of the Democrats left but doesn't yet belong to the 'Blame America First' crowd as many of her supporters are.

Gayle in MD
10-16-2009, 06:31 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gayle, good post....I'd like to see more posts like yours and Dee's where you both make your positive points re your respective positions, and leave the petty infighting, rude commentary, etc for those here, sitting in the "cheap seats"
I could then act as an intermediary between the two groups. It's when the two distinct groups try to converse, that is the root cause of the controversy here....a variation on "Games People Play".
</div></div>

Children should be seen and not heard. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif We don't have to play their games. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif