PDA

View Full Version : Baseball

wolfdancer
10-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Doesn't anybody follow Baseball here. It's all over for me, since the great Bosox were eliminated, but still:
"I loved baseball ever since Arnold Rothstien fixed the World Series in 1919."

sack316
10-15-2009, 03:17 PM
It was over for me long ago when the Cubs fell back and never hit that "stride" they were supposed to catch all year. Kind of sad, when the highlight of my year was when we suspended Bradley /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Looks like a good chance for a "freeway" series, as both LA teams look pretty good. I'll be rooting for the Phils to repeat, though.

Sack

LWW
10-15-2009, 03:39 PM
If you would pay attention wolfie, you would know that several of us do.

In fact, before the board was destroyed, you trolled several threads on the topic of baseball.

LWW

Deeman3
10-15-2009, 03:42 PM
I got out when St. Louis embarrassed themselves.

I'll not tune back in until the world series hits.

sack316
10-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Nobody was good in the NL central this year. The Cards got hot at the right time, but the division was just weak all around. Cards and Cubs finished one and two, and were a combined 17 games over .500 vs central opponents... but combined 4 games under .500 ball vs other NL opponents. If not for them playing the majority of their games vs each other, the Pirates, Reds, Brewers and Astors, I'm not sure either would have even had a winning season! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Sack

wolfdancer
10-16-2009, 03:01 AM
I've still got some faint memories of World Series from long ago ....I also had to check on the dates, just the dates....
1948 Boston Braves/ Cleveland Indians.....Spahn and Sain, and pray for rain. I used to run errands for Warren's mother, so naturally a Braves fan. (They didn't pray hard enough)
1954 Giants/Indians...I think Cleveland had won a record number of games, and had 3, 20 game winners....Dale Long, I believe got the winning or tieing hit in the Giants 4/0 sweep.
1955....The Bums finally beat the hated Yankees...I can only remember Junior Gilliam, Duke Snider,Gil Hodges, from that team
1960..Pirates 4/3 over the hated Yankees. I almost got fired from Westinghouse for stepping outside to listen to the games.....I remember Pittburg's catcher getting a 3 run homer in the ninth, to tie the score...Hal Smith? ...and Bill "Maz" homers in the 10th, to win 4/3
(I'm about 90% sure on that)
The 60's had some great series that didn't always work out for my Teams...the real heartbreaker....1967 Cards 4, my Bosox 3 Jim Lonberg and Bob Gibson....Yaz....bummer
1969...the amazing mets....listened to every game on Armed forces Radio....we were in Viet Nam offloading a ship load of fertilizer.....

dg-in-centralpa
10-16-2009, 08:13 AM
I gave up on baseball this year after the first two months when the Orioles tanked. It was all down hill from there.

DG

LWW
10-16-2009, 08:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nobody was good in the NL central this year. The Cards got hot at the right time, but the division was just weak all around. Cards and Cubs finished one and two, and were a combined 17 games over .500 vs central opponents... but combined 4 games under .500 ball vs other NL opponents. If not for them playing the majority of their games vs each other, the Pirates, Reds, Brewers and Astors, I'm not sure either would have even had a winning season! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Sack </div></div>

Had the reds not been injury devastated during the middle half of the season they would have walked away with a very weak division chamionship.

Started the season 26-20. Then when 25-51 in the middle. Then finished 27-13.

LWW