PDA

View Full Version : Why some folks just should not procreate

Deeman3
10-15-2009, 02:49 PM
FORT COLLINS. Colo. - A family's runaway experimental balloon aircraft crash-landed in a field Thursday after floating away from home for about two hours, but there was no sign of a 6-year-old boy authorities thought had been inside.

The captivating scene played out live on television. The balloon rotated slowly in the wind, tipping precariously at times during its journey, before coming down in a field in Weld County, more than 40 miles away from where it began its journey.

Deputies rushed to the scene but found no sign of the boy, identified as Falcon Heene. Authorities feverishly began searching for the child on the ground, including in the neighborhood where he lives.

The boy's family had been building a helium-balloon aircraft that was kept tethered in the backyard of their home. The aircraft, which resembled a flying saucer, was approximately 20 feet by 5 feet.

On Thursday morning, Falcon was playing outside with one of his two older brothers when the older boy saw the younger one go into a compartment at the bottom of the balloon and fly away, said Cathy Davis of the Larimer County Sheriff's Department.

The craft somehow became untethered and the balloon took off.

Flying saucer?
Several people in the neighborhood saw the aircraft floating over their homes, and some snapped pictures.

Sev
10-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Actually the entire family are science enthusiasts. There was no compartment in the bottom of the balloon.
There has been talk of a basket. However no confirmation.
Thus far they have not reached any conclusions about the whereabouts of the boy.

wolfdancer
10-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Naming your kid Falcon? and the other brother Snowman?, while the third I assume is Brewster, as in Brewster McCloud

Sev
10-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Boy found hiding in box in garage.

I think someones hide is about to be tanned.

wolfdancer
10-15-2009, 05:43 PM
the kid is safe?....fantastic !!!

Gayle in MD
10-16-2009, 09:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the kid is safe?....fantastic !!! </div></div>

After having a few close ones with kids getting hurt, as a parent, who was eyes on 24-7, I really try not to judge parents for these kinds of disasterous situations unless there is some pretty blatant abuse or negilgence.

I did think yesterday, since I raised three boys, my husbands little brothers, "Damn, three boys, and you tether a flying baloon to the house?" Seemed like an accident waiting to happen, but then I quickly recalled some of my own close calls...

Our whole family was always very careful with kids, probably most people might think, overly careful, especially my own parents...very hands on, and very protective and careful, but, nevertheless,

I once went into the linnen closet where my mother had just temporarily laid some fresh folded sheets on the carpet, and since I loved the aroma of the detergent she was using, I closed the door and lay right down on them, and fell asleep. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

When I awakened, and followed the sounds of all the commotion, the living room was full of firemen and policemen, and neighbors were searching, and Mom and Dad were in tears!

I walked into the living room, and asked, "What happened!" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

I think I was about three or four...

It happens, even to the most careful parents.

I was a wreck all day yesterday, watching that baloon! What a relief when he turned up! Reminded me of my own little caper.

G.