PDA

View Full Version : UPA boycott of Open? Substantiated?

Kato
08-13-2002, 09:30 AM
Mike M mentioned a boycott. Have we substantiated this yet? I couldn't possibly see what boycotting an event that could make your year (as a pool player) could accomplish? Pro pool players don't have the luxury of missing paydays like pro baseball players. It's not like they have some massive war chest.

Kato

Nostroke
08-13-2002, 09:37 AM
I just talked to Charlie Williams on Sunday- There were no problems and everything looked good he said. It seemed like there might be continuing talks but no likely roadblocks.

He was even announcing that Brady was taking entry fees there at the UPA Event for the Open.

Kato
08-13-2002, 09:55 AM
Now that's the kind of thing we like to hear. Do you think a boycott would have broken the UPA. Would the members stand for it? I would think not.

Kato

08-13-2002, 10:21 AM
I think there would have been players crossing the picket line for sure /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Let's face it, the Open is the most coveted prize in pool. Any organization that can't work something out with the promoter (ie: Barry/Brady) is in deep trouble. Charlie is a smart kid, I'm sure he was thinking along all angles.

Fran Crimi
08-13-2002, 10:24 AM
Kato, on the subject of boycotts, I don't necesssarily support them overall, but sometimes there is a good reason. Players don't like to have to sit out of tournaments, but they aren't always wrong when they feel they may be getting a raw deal. I remember playing in tournaments years ago where it was a mad rush to the bank the next day to cash the check becuse usually half the field's checks would bounce. Back then there wasn't any organization among the players and no one was able to do anything about it.

Fran

Kato
08-13-2002, 10:31 AM
See Fran, I understand that logic. Comparing pool players to other professional athletes wouldn't work as far as strikes or boycotts go though. Esteban Toledo before last weeks 2nd place finish was 118th on the PGA tour money list with $335,000 in winnings. The 118th male or female pool player is probably in negative money for the year. They are raising the minimum starting major league baseball salary to $400K. A boycott for a pool player would spell disaster for the UPA at this stage. I would think the players would be forced to think of their financial security. I'm sure Charlie knows this and wouldn't put his organization in jeapordy so early in the game.

Kato

Fran Crimi
08-13-2002, 10:54 AM
It all depends who's at the helm, Kato. If the reasons are there, and the players support their leader, then the promoters will either have to play ball or lose the players. The key lies in reasonableness. If you're only asking for what's fair, then your organization will grow stronger, not weaker. The weakness lies in caving into what's less than fair for your players. That would surely lead to the demise of the association.

Fran

Kato
08-13-2002, 11:02 AM
That's very true Fran but with an organization that is 1 year old wouldn't it be hard to fade? It's not like the membership is crawling in $$$$$. The desire to win that tournament has to be as great as anything in the game. I'm sure that as long as the Berhman's are reasonable and the UPA is understanding that an agreement would be easily reached. It would all depend on the demands plus I'm sure Charlie and the UPA board would have to consult the players.

Kato~~~nobody ever consults me.

jjinfla
08-13-2002, 11:34 AM
For what reason is a boycot being considered? Jake

Kato
08-13-2002, 11:38 AM
Mike M posted it in a previous thread. I'm assuming it would have to do with the "guaranteed" payout last year being reduced and the UPA expecting their membership get the cash they believe owed to them. I'm hoping he can find that e-mail. I'm also going to e-mail the UPA tonight and see what they have to say. I believe everything will be "worked out".

Kato

MikeM
08-14-2002, 08:53 AM
Kato,

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the email from the UPA. I'm at the beach this week and it may have been on my home computer. The gist of it was that they wanted to play but wanted assurances as to payouts before they would commit to play. Nostroke's conversation with Cahrlie is promising, but I'd rather hear that they have signed on for sure. I've already spent $400 for tickets (as have you and Voodoo) and would like to see the best players play.

MM

Jay M
08-14-2002, 09:14 AM
It was published in the UPA newsletter that the Behrmans were making good on last year's money and were escrowing money for this year's event in advance. The UPA has asked it's members to show their full support to the event.

Jay M

Kato
08-14-2002, 09:30 AM
I just read my new Billiard News and it says that all past issues have been settled. Just like Brady has been telling us all along.

Kato

MikeM
08-15-2002, 08:48 AM
Cool!

DEADSTOKE32
08-16-2002, 10:25 PM
"MAN" WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING 2 .WHEN 1 PERSON LIKE CHARLIE W.CAN JUST COME OUT AND SAY THAT POOL PLAYERS ARE GOING 2PROTEST.
NOW MAN THAT'S NUT'S IF HE FEELS HE'S NOT GOING 2 GET PAYED FOR PLAYING .WHEN HE SHOULD JUST "DON'T PLAY AND JOIN THE REST OF THE RAIL BIRDZ". THAT COME 2 WATCH THE PRO'S BEAT EACH OTHER WITH STICKS & BALLZ.
MAN WHAT IS GOING 2 HAPPEN NEXT .
STOP THE MADDNESS.........