PDA

View Full Version : CCB Members Q-skill Player Ratings...

02-26-2002, 05:31 PM
Here's how it works:

1) Rack all 15 balls (any order). Break the balls. A miss cue or missing the rack completely is a foul. Re-rack and break again, subtracting one point from your final score, or you can leave the balls as they lie and continue, not taking the foul (if you don't make a ball on the next shot it is "0" points for that rack).

2) If you scratch on the break, minus one. If the CB leaves the table, minus 2. After a scratch on the break the CB can either be placed on the head spot or foot spotand shoot any ball on the table, or the CB can be placed anywhere in the kitchen and any OB out of the kitchen can be shot. On the break, if you scratch and balls are pocketed, they stay down and have ZERO point value. If you don't scratch on the break, all pocketed balls are worth 1 point.

3) After the break, if you don't like the the shot you have, or don't have a shot, there are three options: a) Place the CB anywhere behind the line and shoot any ball out of the kitchen, b) Place the CB on either the head spot or Foot spot and shoot any ball, c) Place the rack over the cue ball and move the CB anywhere inside the rack and shoot any ball. All options are a penalty and result in 1 point being deducted from your score at the end of the rack.

4)After the break, whether you pocketed a ball or not, proceed to shoot, calling each shot. Try to run the table, pocketing balls in any order until there are 5-balls left on the table. The last five balls must be pocketed in rotation (like 9-ball) If you miss a shot any time after the break, the rack is over (add up your points). The first ten pocketed balls are worth 1 point each. The last five balls on the table are worth 2-points each. On each rack you can score a max of 20 points.

5) Ten racks comprise a session. In one session you can score a max of 200 points. You must complete the racks in one session, ie play ten consecutive racks without disruptions. Expect this to take anywhere from one to two hours.

Here's the rankings:

AAA- 195-200 Touring Pro

AA - 180-194 Pro

A - 160-179 Semi pro

B+ - 120-159 Developing pro

B - 85-119 Advanced player

B- - 60-84 Intermediate player

C - 35-59 Average player

D - 15-34 Below average player

d- - 0-14 Recreational player.

This is just for fun of course. It could also be used for others offering advice to another player. To let others know your proficiency to understand and execute certain levels of advice.
I have done this excercise three times (once for each month since I have started playing again). My scores have been: Dec. 119 Jan. 129 And Feb. 139. I play on a 9- foot table with 4.5" pockets.

Give it a "shot" and post your results here. The honor system is in effect, and that is the only way this can be at all accurate. Have fun!

jjinfla
02-26-2002, 08:15 PM
My average for my last 10 games is 80. My high game is 109. I keep my scores on excel and haven't played it since the 14th. Very strict scoring. I miss - games over and I start the next game. Jake~~~it's the careless shot on the 2nd or 3rd ball that really hurts the average.

Rod
02-26-2002, 09:44 PM
Scott, I played this long ago but I forgot my score.
What I have done more recently is play Fargo.
At playpool.com they have a tournament that lasts 6 weeks.
Of course the rules are over there also.
I played in the one before this last one, and my average
for 6 weeks was 214 or 215. High series of 225.
I'm not trying to change the game, its just to let you
know how I play. Besides I've seen some very good words
of wisdom come from average players. Your right however
it does give an idea, how everyone plays.
One thing about either game, it does improve your play.
Some time ago several of us played Olympic 9 Ball.
Thats fun also, and takes less time.

cheesemouse
02-26-2002, 10:37 PM
Rod, what is Olympic 9-ball?

Rod
02-26-2002, 10:54 PM
A nine ball rack. Break the balls, spot any made on the break, and the nine doesn't count either. Ball in hand
anywhere. An early combo on the nine does not count, but
it can be spotted and continue the run. Play 10 racks.
Score is 10 points for a runout, or 1 point per ball
for partial racks. When you miss the inning is over.
Maxium score is 100. It doesn't pay to make several
balls on the break.

02-27-2002, 09:12 AM
I think this test is supposed to be played by playing ten sessions of ten racks per session
for a total of one hundred racks. It can take a long time to complete the Q-Skill test. I've only
completed one to date, so many other things to shoot. I've scored 91 on the low end and 169
on the high end of the drill with an average of 125. I think the break shot is the key to this drill, it
is what hurt me. I'm not used to breaking from the head spot with my bridge hand on the table.
Practice your break shot for awhile then do the drill. Good Luck, Terry

Rich R.
02-27-2002, 09:48 AM
This is the Alan Hopkins Q skill rating test. You can see it and a score card at http://www.nmt.edu/~billiard/qskills_scorecard.html

I have also seen a scale indicating your level of play, based on your score for ten sessions of ten racks each, but I can't seem to find it now. Maybe some one had the web location. Rich R.

Tom_In_Cincy
02-27-2002, 12:19 PM
Last time I did this skill rating I finished with a 121 average.

03-02-2002, 03:01 AM
This post has a bunch of views, anyone else had time to try this yet?

03-28-2002, 05:13 PM
Here ya go Steve. (My March "check-up" was 154)
Starting to come back a little.

Troy
03-28-2002, 11:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> Scott, I played this long ago but I forgot my score.
Thats fun also, and takes less time. <hr></blockquote>

FARGO average of 215 ??? Damn Rod, in that case, I need 11-5 in 1-Pocket or the last 3 in 9-Ball..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Troy

SpiderMan
03-29-2002, 12:25 AM
Troy,

Rod's one good player. He has both knowledge and execution.
I would improve a lot if I had a frequent opportunity to
shoot with him.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Troy:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Rod:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Scott, I played this long ago but I forgot my score.
Thats fun also, and takes less time. &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

FARGO average of 215 ??? Damn Rod, in that case, I need 11-5 in 1-Pocket or the last 3 in 9-Ball..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Troy <hr></blockquote>

Chris Cass
03-29-2002, 08:38 AM
Hi Rich,
I posted it awhile back when I first took the test. It's scoring is different than what Scott has listed. I took this test and scored a 1625. I am however due for a re-test soon. I'm not happy with myself but who really is? I think however the the ten 10 rack sessions would be a better way to judge ones progress. I did 2 ten's more though, throwing out the highest and lowest scores to make a more realistic average. http://billiardsroom2000.freeservers.com/qskill.html

Regards,
C.C.~~shows you just how important a good break really means.IMO

Rod
03-29-2002, 02:18 PM
Troy, Do you know that song by Roy Orbison, Dream Baby?
Hum a few bars of that, and I'll get back to you!

cheesemouse
03-29-2002, 02:45 PM
Chris &amp; The Shot,
I have just finished my first session of the Q-skill rating. I have nine more to go. The 'cheese' is humbled, not humiliated mine you, just humbled. I was three racks into it before it started to dawn on me that 'this tougher than it looks on paper' but it was to late. I wanted to start over but my basic mouse honesty wouldn't allow that...my tail is between my legs, this is a temporary affliction that all mice must suffer at some point in theirs lives...Traps you know. The tail will come back out but it will take some time. I will be focused from the beginning next time...a little of this will fix it. http://www.mediabuilder.com/designs/photo_clips/workshop/tools_duct_tape_roll_md_sdw.gif

Chris Cass
03-29-2002, 03:56 PM
Hi Cheese,
I suggest you start the Q-Skill when you're warmed up first. You can't get a true score till you're playing at your optimum level of play. Remember, it's all about the break and shot selection. Start looking for your final 5 when you're down to about 8 balls left. Sometimes you may start earlier in your order.

I feel the Q-Skill and all these other tests out there aren't an accurate test of one's skill level. As I said, it's all about the break and how you think. You should try to make your breakouts early and frozen balls also. The last 5 should be somewhere in the center of the table. Don't be discouraged when you get a bad session. It's all about averages.

The good part of Q-Skill and every other testing format out there, is concentration. You'll soon see what really matters. Not the score, not the average, it's about focus and shot selection. That's what really counts. Drills do the same. It also teaches shot percentages, your percentages. It can also teach you about induced pressure. No one can put pressure on you, but you.

You talk about honesty. Honesty is the best part of it. If you're totally honest with yourself, you can improve. Take notes on the problems you have in each rack you have a problem with,(scratch break, bad shot selection, etc.) and after the test, compare. You may find you're lacking in some areas and gives you something to work on later. Once you finish working on those areas needing improvement, you'll be ready once again for re-test.

What I like about Q-Skill is, it brings interest and a path to improvement. It's fun to string five 20's together then blow a rack with a 12. People wonder why I'm losing my hair.LOL

Good luck Cheese,
C.C.~~likes the Cheese and Q-Skill.

Rod
03-29-2002, 04:39 PM
Very good reply Chris. I think you covered about everything including the reason's why to play the game. Outside of strategy, the most important part for me is the break and being very warmed up, as you said.

Troy
03-29-2002, 06:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> Troy, Do you know that song by Roy Orbison, Dream Baby?
Hum a few bars of that, and I'll get back to you! <hr></blockquote>

Humming..... Well OK Rod, I know I need more weight, but my pride gets in the way..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Rod
03-30-2002, 02:58 AM
That sounds good Troy, just keep humming. I think your going to get pretty good at it. /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Chris Cass
03-30-2002, 05:22 AM
Thanks Rod,
I'm glad you thought my post was somewhat accurate. I still think Troy wants to use it as a barganing chip though. LOL
After reading yours, I'll tend to agree with him though.LOL
Humming,
Chris

jjinfla
03-30-2002, 07:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr>

What I like about Q-Skill is, it brings interest and a path to improvement. It's fun to string five 20's together then blow a rack with a 12. People wonder why I'm losing my hair.LOL

Good luck Cheese,
C.C.~~likes the Cheese and Q-Skill. <hr></blockquote>

Here I consider myself doing very well when I get a 12 in the game and Chris is feeling bad when he gets a 12. Shows what a vast difference there is in people's games. And Chris is not a Pro - just plays like one. I wonder how the pros fare in this game. Do they routinely score 20's? Jake

Rod
03-30-2002, 01:33 PM
Your welcome Chris, and it's nice to see we have two hummers. Didn't I see you were near the pro level?
Your going to turn blue humming, and waiting for me. lol

cheesemouse
03-30-2002, 01:51 PM
Chris,
I'm half way thru my second set of the Q-skills. I had to take a break. In the 4th rack I mis-cued on the second ball for a big <font color=red>one</font color=red>. For a minute there I was the mouse that roared. In the fifth rack I had to put the rack over whitey to get a shot; talk about instant Karma...

03-31-2002, 01:31 PM
An interesting exercise. However, I'm not sure that this is a great indicator of overall pool skill since it does not take into account safeties, kicks, etc... According to the scale I am at a pro (AA) rating. I'm not sure that I would catagorize myself at this level, although I have run 85 balls in straightpool (on triple shimmed table), and 6 racks of nine-ball (my break, as Rod can probably attest, is not very good).

My session went as follows:
racks 1 through 4, no misses
rack 5, had to move q-ball to headspot, sacrificing a point
rack 6 through 9, no misses
rack 10, shot in first 5 balls....had a brain fart and missed an easy straight in shot.

Total: 184

Overall I don't think that this exercise is that difficult since, unlike straightpool, the balls are immediately broken up. You don't have to worry as much about separating clusters (or at least as many). Furthermore, as you clear the 10 random balls, you are left with a relatively simple 5 ball sequencial run out (no balls touching by this time, most in the middle of the table). As for my brain fart in the 10th rack....it seems like a pretty stiff penalty of getting only 5 points and no further chance to proceed? Of course, I doubt that you could ask Reyes in the middle of a set if you could take the shot over again because you where not concentrating? : )

regards,

Doug

Chris Cass
03-31-2002, 05:42 PM
Good job Doug,
You still have the rest of the sets of ten to go. Don't be surprised if your rating drops a smugge. I'm hoping you can average the 184 but I've had a 188 and threw it out. I did the ten sessions of ten racks and put in two extra sessions to make the average more realistic. I took the lowest and the highest scores and tossed them. I also played it on a 9ft with double shimmed pockets, 860 cloth.

Remember this isn't about learning Q-Skill as much as it's learning about yourself. Out of your scores and games, what areas of your game, can you see you might need help in? As far as doing just 1 session of 10 rack. That's not quite good enough to average your play. We all have good days and peak days. I'm not implying your not a player or that your 184 isn't average but I would want to know for myself, what I'm all about?

Regards,
C.C.~~go Doug, it's your birthday....lollol

jjinfla
03-31-2002, 08:07 PM
Doug, Why would you say it is not an indicator of pool skill? I would venture to guess that 95% of the people who play pool can't, and never will be able to achieve your score. Nor will they be able to run 85 balls in straight pool, nor run 6 racks in 9-ball. So, in your case it indicates that your game is at a top level. And you would have to agree with that.

As for myself I am very happy with the way my game has improved as has my knowlege of the game. Yet I only score an 80 at Q-skill but I think that is pretty good. So that makes me wonder just how much more there is to learn about this game and how much more the really good players like you and Chris really have mastered about the game. Jake

04-01-2002, 01:45 AM
Thanks Chris,

I appreciate the response. I'm sure that when I do the exercise again my score will undoubtedly change. As I quickly found out, one lapse of concentration and you can lose 20 points. A few bad rolls, or a bad break and you can lose much more. I hope that you did not get the feeling that I am somehow belittling the game, it is certainly a challenge. To shoot in 150 balls without missing is a challenge in itself. I did my run on 9' brunswick GCIII, 4&amp;1/4'pockets, 860 simonis.

This particular test is not totally unfamiliar with me since I often practice in the following manner:
1) simply throw out 15 balls ramdomly on the table and keep shooting until you miss. I have run well over 300 balls doing this. This is somewhat of a mindless way to practice, however it does build concentration skills (and stamina)and allows me to really get my shotmaking down to where it is almost automatic.
2)throw out 9 balls, or 10 or 11, etc... and shot them in order like 9-ball.

If you put these two practice regimes together, you basically have the q-skill test. Perhaps that is why I did fairly well at it, since I was already familiar with its rigors?

don't get me wrong...I like any test where you can get a good benchmark as to your progress.

Happy shooting,

Regards,

Doug.

Pool is an extremely mental game.

04-01-2002, 02:07 AM
Hi Jake,

I certainly did not mean to imply that the q-skill was not an indicator of pool skill or talent. But rather, q-skill might not be a true or complete test of skill. It is certainly difficult, however, as I mentioned in my post, it does not test safeties, kicks, and probably other areas of the game that are important to playing well. It is definately a wonderful benchmark to continuously strive to try and better. I must admit that I would definately have a sense of pleasure if I could make a perfect 200 score. I'll probably die and go to heavon if I ever break 100 in straightpool. I think that I will eventually break that barrier, however I must be mentally prepared in order to do it.

As to your score of 80, I think that is great. I also think that you will find new levels as you continue to play, especially if you are serious about the game. The game will continue to reveal itself as you play. I am always learning new things each and every day that i play pool. I imagine that this is what keeps me interested in the game. As Chris said in his post to me, the game will teach you alot about yourself.

(Lesson for the day: composure)
Regards,

Doug

Chris Cass
04-01-2002, 03:09 AM
Hi Doug,
No, I didn't get that impression at all. Glad to see you know what the importance of a shot makes to your overall average. I was merly pointing out that it's a good way to chart progress and also to get an idea of where to go from there.

Also, that one 10 rack session doesn't mean, to others who don't fair well, their first time out. That they can't take it too much to heart. Everyone is here to help each other. Don't think you need any Doug.lol

Just to let you know, I think any score that's as respectable as that, deserves a patt on the back.
Regards,
C.C.

Rod
04-02-2002, 01:54 AM
Well Doug, I kind of feel the same as you do, about the dificulty of the game. It's fairly straight forward and as you said it does not take into account other factors of a real game. However it is a way to judge one's ability for offense. I played today and scored a 188. Rack 2- 19 points, rack 6 -10 points, I had a severe brain fart, rack 9 -19 points. It was a struggle at times because the balls didn't break well, and my right eye was giving me problems because of a contac. I'll take that any day. I definately do not consider myself to be at pro level either. I think the penalty is fair, if you did that in 14-1 you may not get to the table any time soon. I was going to play 10 racks of Fargo. I like that game better, it's more of a risk reward game. You can go for the run out early, but you get hurt if you fail. I'll try that tommorrow, and see if today was a fluke. Really I come and go at this game, and sometimes just do not feel like putting in the effort. I need a pill to increase my desire, not to mention, cure a few old joints, lack of hair ect. Geez I'm falling apart and need a few good games.

jjinfla
04-02-2002, 07:42 AM
Hi Doug,

In the last six months I can see where my game has really improved. And every time I learn something new I realize how much more there is to learn about this game. There are so many finer points and details to learn. But the more I learn the more I can appreciate the skills of the better players. Jake

04-02-2002, 12:35 PM
Rod,

You make me laugh. "need a few good games"..."old joints"..."falling apart"... If I did'nt know better I would think I was being hustled! : )

I'll have to try Fargo. I know the rules, but I have not yet tried to play a set. Kinda scares me when the rotation play should begin. I imagine that I would try the rotation phase...only to hook myself after the first shot. I'd probably end up with a score of 40 for all ten frames...I could never live it down. /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Regards,

Doug