PDA

View Full Version : Post deleted by ccboard_admin

08-13-2002, 09:32 AM

Nostroke
08-13-2002, 09:52 AM
Id like the answer to that one myself. I've even seen them half sit on the table and watch also.

The worst I ever witnessed though was a guy (non spanish) who went to the table with a beer in his hand, put the beer on the table bed (not the rail) and then shot. If he remembered he picked it up sometime after his stroke.

My blood pressure went to about 1000 and in a not polite way I told him he couldnt do that though i didnt even work there. I wish i could have remained calm but it just isn't in me i guess.

9 Ball Girl
08-13-2002, 09:53 AM
I've seen the crowding over a table not just from Hispanics in NY, but from people who are just what I call "ball bangers". Ball bangers don't usually know the game therefore they don't know "pool etiquette". I've seen this in Jersey, Philli, Vegas, just to name a few. So, it's not just a NY or Hispanic thing, it's a ball banger thing. /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Wendy~~a NY Hispanic /ccboard/images/icons/cool.gif

Q-guy
08-13-2002, 12:09 PM
I have played and gambled in places where I was the only English speaking player. It is really funny, sharking is part of the game. Like you say they lean on the table as you shoot. I thought they were just doing it to me at first, but I noticed they did it to everybody. A lot of ethnic groups like to gamble, but you have to learn their customs to play with them. Playing in foreign countries is really a trip. I was playing in Italy in a gambling house. It had one pooltable and a bunch of card tables. I started playing a local for 70,000 lira a game (about $50.00). Guys were on the side betting with each other and they had small suitcases full of money. This was a MAFIA place my wife and I had wandered into. They treated us nice though. We stayed in a room up stairs and they fed us. Except for the bathroom only being a hole in the floor, it was not that bad.

08-13-2002, 12:52 PM

Rod
08-13-2002, 12:57 PM
Whitewolf, from playing to owning a room in Arizona I can definately identify with your post. Being a border state has a lot to do with that IMO. It is not limited by any means to the Hispanics but it is very common with them. They do it best, I call it their "Rugby huddle".lol

08-13-2002, 02:19 PM
I definately have to agree with Wendy on this one. I don't just see it with just hispanics. I have seen others doing the same. It's usually people who don't know "pool ettiquette". It's also some folks just having fun watching their friends shoot,.... really, really, upclose.... LOL.

--Sometimes you might even see someone doing it and they're doing it on purpose... now that's where the critizism really SHOULD be. You guys know who you are out there. C'mon you can laugh it up too.... LOL.

Snooky <--also a NY Hispanic.

9 Ball Girl
08-13-2002, 02:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> Funny, we don't see that much ball-banging stuff like that down here in the South (including MD) as far as I can tell. <hr></blockquote>

Man, I wish I could say the same for where I've played. My definition of ball bangers are those who shoot with no rhyme or reason and they congratulate themselves when their balls find a pocket after hitting like 10 rails! /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

08-13-2002, 02:47 PM
At the risk of angering someone I'm sure, I think it is a "South American" new immigrant thing for the most part.

08-13-2002, 03:00 PM
Is that why you choose to be anonymous?

bluewolf
08-13-2002, 03:01 PM
IMO, when they are forced to assimilate into white man's world, they do as white man do. When they have significant numbers to maintaing their own culture, then they operate occording to their rules.

Often in an effort to fit in, the sad thing is a person loses ones own culture,ones own history.

bluewolf

Chris Cass
08-13-2002, 03:01 PM
Hi Snooky,

I played in Germany and the same thing happened. This post reminded me of the time. I played in Chicago at Maries Golden Cue. I was playing $100. sets of race to 7 9ball with a Philippino guy. There were chairs all around the table and I'd say 20 of his friends in them.

As I shot nothing was said. They all just watched. When it was his turn to shoot. They all were telling him what to shoot. At first I was pissed, thinking this wasn't fair. Them telling him, in their language, what to shoot. As I thought about it for 3 seconds. haha It was me in the wrong place and me up a set. I got to thinking, maybe they messed him up more than me. hahaha

I was spilting my action with the big guy behind the counter. I ended up 8 sets ahead. I'm not stupid, he was the boss and as the guy stiffed me out of the last set. I still got to keep $400. I told him to pay the counter guy the rest later. I wasn't coming back. A week later I called to see if they had some action. The counter guy said, not a good idea. Oh, forgot to mention, I sure know when someone is calling me names no matter what language. hahah

Regards,

C.C.~~hahaha it was an experience to say the least.

08-13-2002, 03:15 PM
Yeah you got sharked.... LOL. but you got the cheese... thats good. At least I'm not the only one to agree that it's not only hispanics. LOL. I can't speak for all Philippinos but I have some Philippino friends, but they don't do that.

Lester
08-13-2002, 03:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SNOOKY_NYC:</font><hr> Yeah you got sharked.... LOL. but you got the cheese... thats good. At least I'm not the only one to agree that it's not only hispanics. LOL. I can't speak for all Philippinos but I have some Philippino friends, but they don't do that. <hr></blockquote>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Snooky, I don't think bad manners is predominant in any one ethnicity over another. It can be found in every walk of life. Although Chris playing sets with a "committee" and them all talking in another language, well that's a spot I would think long and hard before taking. lol ***Lester***

SPetty
08-13-2002, 03:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Q-guy:</font><hr> They treated us nice though. We stayed in a room up stairs and they fed us. Except for the bathroom only being a hole in the floor, it was not that bad. <hr></blockquote>Hi Q-guy,

Boy that was nice that they gave you the *upstairs* room! Would hate to have had that downstairs room under the hole in the floor!

9 Ball Girl
08-13-2002, 03:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr> IMO, when they are forced to assimilate into white man's world, they do as white man do. When they have significant numbers to maintaing their own culture, then they operate occording to their rules. Often in an effort to fit in, the sad thing is a person loses ones own culture,ones own history.<hr></blockquote>

What? Exactly what is White Man's world? I have seen white people doing the crowded thing too. I don't mean to sound hostile but I have to admit that I am getting a little p'ed off now. There is no rule that one has to crowd the table, it's just a non-poolplayer's way.

Maybe you wolves have to come out of your world and up north for a bit.

Wendy~~sorry, I don't mean to sound hostile

SPetty
08-13-2002, 03:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> ...down here in the South (including MD) ...<hr></blockquote>Maryland? South??!? hahahaha

08-13-2002, 03:46 PM
I agree with you Lester,.... that was my arguement from the first reply I made on this subject. I said that I also don't believe that it's only one "type" of ethnic backround.
I just think that some people do it and don't know it, and some do and try to get away with it.

~~~~*Believes that if you're getting sharked and still get the cheese then you've won twice as much and it's twice as sweet. LOL.

Snooky

Q-guy
08-13-2002, 04:33 PM
The hole is over a pipe. It has a ceramic rim that is set on the floor, but nothing to sit on. I have been all over Europe and the bathrooms are always a point of interest. In Belgium they just stop and go in the street and it is normal. The funny thing in the place in Italy was my wife. Women don't go in places like this. They could not believe how my wife was just one of the guys. I should explain, my wife has relatives in Europe. All it takes for us to go, is a good air fare. We have places to stay and cars to drive. Although when we run around it cost a little, but if you stay in bed &amp; breakfasts it is really pretty cheap. I always come home with more then I left with. Lately we have not been able to go anywhere. We have pets again and my nephew who used to take care of the properties has moved and I am a little trapped now.

Q-guy
08-13-2002, 04:43 PM
Where did you play in Germany? I haven't been there is 4 or 5 years.

Alfie
08-13-2002, 08:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr> Maryland? South??!? hahahaha <hr></blockquote> http://freespace.virgin.net/john.cletheroe/usa_can/usa/mas_dix.htm

Barbara
08-13-2002, 08:23 PM
Yeah, Maryland's SOUTH of here! What don't you understand??!!

Barbara~~~north of the Mason-Dixon line...

Barbara
08-13-2002, 09:15 PM
The only time I played pool outside the US was in La Romana, Dominican Republic, right before the fateful NE snow storm in December 1995-1996. (Mother Nature -24, City Preparedness - 0)
I brought my Palmer cue with me on vacation to my folks' house and my Dad had his #1 guy, Isidro, scope some places for me to play. Isidro came up with "Club Puerto Rico", or something to that name, just within La Romana. So I have forgetten most of my espanol and Isidro doesn't speak any english and he brings me and Pete to this "Club" to play a little pool. I'm thinking pool hall. It's a men's club.

Isidro talks to the MEN playing around this one table (they had 2 others, but kids were banging on them). So Pete and I are watching the game in progress in which I didn't understand what was going on - it was a form of 8-ball and I had no idea why they were hitting the 8-ball around and not into a direct pocket. So the "One" (his image is in my memory, but I cannot remember his name) pool player motions to me that's it my turn to play (I had put my name up), so I got out my cue and break cue and chalk and powder and glove (it was humid and there was no AC!).

I racked and watched my opponent run a few balls. I ran some, then he ran some, and then I'm on the 8-ball. I just shot it in the nearest pocket. Oh whoops!! Not the game!! The "One" (he runs the games, it turns out and is a very nice person) explains to his buddies that I didn't know the rules and Isidro is trying to explain to me nothing I understand. This is when the "One" says that I should have another chance at the next game. He was such a nice person to me, I'm the ignorant player!

Meanwhile, I have given up a couple pieces of chalk and my powder - these guys have no supplies. Next time I go there, I'm coming loaded with supplies.

Then, as a peace-pipe gesture, Pete and I buy a round of Presidente cervezas and a bottle of rum - their brand - for the room to partake of. ?Question - when a stranger walks into a totally foreign situation, should I have upgraded the brand of rum from the local brand to a premium brand like Bacardi? They make their own brand on the island and it's not bad, but I keep thinking it's like treating someone to something maybe better, what do I know? I'm asking opinions here.

Anyway, I won the next game. Soon, there were women that trickled in with their kids (now past 6 pm) to watch this female pool player.

After 3 beers and a couple of friendly "buddy" shots, Pete and I have to leave. The beer in the Dominican Republic is one of the best beers in the world. Presidente - but not what they import to the US. That stuff is yuck and has preservatives in it. And we left with making a lot of new friends. I wasn't there to hustle and I learned a great game - Last Pocket Eight Ball!! Even wowed them with a couple cross-the-object-ball banks.

I went back one more time. I won a couple more games and learned a couple more faces. They treated me like a queen. I gave up all the chalk in my case I had and the powder.

The Sunday we wanted to leave, my Dad calls us up and says, "We're not going to get home for a while, it's going to snow for at least a day." Pete and I decide to at least get to Miami. And thank God I had my pool cue with me!! Hit Jillian's, and some other pool hall where I met Mario Cruz at!! (it had Simonis, Jillian's doesn't)

Pete and I go home 3 days later and I haven't been back to the Domincan Republic since. I hear they all still ask for me and more unfortunately, I've heard of the death of one of the players. I'm sad to hear of this and hope it isn't the "One".

Barbara~~~will go back with a boat load of supplies, any suggestions about non-warping cues for them to play with??

PQQLK9
08-13-2002, 09:44 PM
What a nice story...let me know the next time you go down and I'll throw in some supplies...

Chris Cass
08-13-2002, 09:57 PM
Hi Q,

Some seedy little bar in Frankfurt. I didn't sweat the funny money. I did sweat the players. They were like the bottom of the pit. Glad to leave while it was still light out.

Regards,

C.C.

08-17-2002, 06:18 PM
WHO CARES. ALOT OF PEOPLE DOES THAT SAME THING

08-17-2002, 06:35 PM
Habla,habla,habla Espan`ol!!!!!!!!!
Viva Peurto Rico
Vagabond