PDA

View Full Version : When it's time to go....

wolfdancer
10-20-2009, 02:35 AM
why not go in style?

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs211.snc1/7833_159260885479_636855479_2636665_1368156_n.jpg

cushioncrawler
10-20-2009, 05:35 AM
Woofly -- Funny thing -- i hav never vizited Wally's grave -- and he iz my hero.
Wally died in 1960 aged 62 -- the world's best cuest of all time -- will never be anyone else even close.
Dolly Lindrum (Wally's niece) koodnt beleev it when i told her i hadnt been to see Wally's grave -- but i might go see it next time i am in melbourne, next week mightbe.

One of my old billiards mates (Des) told me that Wally had been staying at one of Des's mates units on the gold coast, an annual affair, where he used to giv an annual exhibition -- and that that nite Wally had had 3 or 4 cold meat pies for dinner (hiz favorit), plus lots of beer -- and Wally got food poisoning, ptomain poizoning -- which led to a heart attack.

Dolly told me that Wally had had dinner at a club on the gold coast after putting on an exhibition -- dinner woz shepherds pie, a notorious meal if not fresh -- that night Wally had stomach pains and rang a very old doctor -- the doc sayd to hav a drink of dry ginger and then wait and see how Wally felt in the morning -- but before morning Wally woz that bad that he had to go to hozzy -- in hozzy they had the chance to pump hiz stomach but didnt -- later that day Wally had a heart attack and died.

But the good news iz that i did go see George Gray's grave when i woz in Townsville in September -- George died in 1970 aged about 77 -- but hiz grave woznt anything fancy at all -- no mention of billiards -- no mention that George set the billiards world on fire in 1911.
madMac.

cushioncrawler
10-20-2009, 05:50 AM
Which reminds me -- this week i came akross a quote from Wally saying that one 4hr session of billiards praktis woz better than four 2hr sessions -- ?????????????????
Me, myself, on a good day, i hav about eight 1/2hr sessions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
madMac.

wolfdancer
10-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Good story about him, but sad also, that he died that way, when with some early treatment....
Great grave site though......
I think Wally may have been wrong on those practice thoughts.....but then it may have worked for him???
Most of us would not be able to have focused concentration for a 4 hour period....and I believe it was Jack Nicklaus that said...as soon as he hit 3 good shots in a row with one club....he moved on to the next, to keep from practicing his "mistakes". I do something similar....as soon as I hit 3 bad drives in a row, I grab an iron, but not a 1-iron...
As the old saying went "only God and Ben Hogan, can hit a 1-iron"
I like your idea....practice bores me...but maybe if I preset a time limit...i can stay focused?

cushioncrawler
10-20-2009, 04:37 PM
If i am trying a newish style, and pot 3 good long'shots in a row, i dont celebrate too much.
Thing iz, if i split a pocket with my first shot it wouldnt proov anything -- my stroke might be sick anyhow -- we all know that.
Splitting the pocket with 3 shots duznt proov nuthin neither -- my stroke might be sick anyhow -- i might miss with shots 4 and 5 and 6 -- i hav learnt that.
madMac.