PDA

View Full Version : Running a 5K

eg8r
10-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Well, two weekends ago I ran in my first 5k race. I never would have thought it possible but I credit Gayle for getting me off my fat butt. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I ran the race in 29 mins and 55 secs, not too bad for my first time. Anyways, I am running in another one next month and hope to get my time down to 28 min flat.

Anyone on the board have any suggestions to getting past a plateau and increasing the speed? Maybe increasing stamina?

eg8r

sack316
10-20-2009, 02:36 PM
Saw your pics, congrats man, you looked great!

As far as advice, just keep pushing yourself extra distance. I ran cross country as a way to stay in shape for baseball in my earlier years. If a meet was coming up, that was say 3 miles... I trained to run 5 (for example). Just pushed myself to be able to do the 5 as easily and fast as possible, and when a 3 mile run came around it would be easy. Outside of that, some good fun cardio (I like Kenpo) is always good as a change of pace from "just running" to get the ol' lungs working well for such training, and also does a nice job of tuning up some smaller, lesser used, muscle groups that come in handy for distance running. And finally I'd suggest some solid light weight training (ie whatever exercise select a weight where you can do 15-20 reps as opposed to the normal 7-10 that one would use for building mass). This is good for tone as well as muscle stamina. Don't be afraid to "burn out" calves either, it's easy to focus on things like thighs and such, but those calves tiring out or holding strong can make a break ya in distance running.

Sack--- 3 miles in 15 /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Bobbyrx
10-20-2009, 02:40 PM
If you've got a track you can run on, run intervals once or twice a week at a pace faster than your target 5k speed. Your 5k speed was about 9:30 min per mile, so maybe run quarter mile intervals at 8:00 min per mile speed (2 minutes a lap) with a lap of slow running or walking in between. This kind of speed work along with slowly increasing your weekly milage will help.

cushioncrawler
10-20-2009, 04:50 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, two weekends ago I ran in my first 5k race. I never would have thought it possible but I credit Gayle for getting me off my fat butt. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I ran the race in 29 mins and 55 secs, not too bad for my first time. Anyways, I am running in another one next month and hope to get my time down to 28 min flat. Anyone on the board have any suggestions to getting past a plateau and increasing the speed? Maybe increasing stamina? eg8r</div></div>Get a cattle'dog (blue heeler). The other day "jelly" dragged me 6km around the lake in 1hr 40min -- it felt like it woz all downhill -- except that the bitch stopped for a sniff 1000 times, and i couldnt budge her.
madMac.

Sev
10-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Congrats man. Good job.

eg8r
10-20-2009, 08:14 PM
3 miles in 15 minutes? Holy crap. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Thanks for the advice, I will definitely try and incorporate some of that.

eg8r

eg8r
10-20-2009, 08:17 PM
That sounds interesting, I will try that out. I have been doing HIIT this past week, running full speed for 30 secs then walking for 30 secs then running for 30 walk for 30, doing this for 6 cycles. At the 5th and 6th cycle it is nearly impossible for me to get through the full 30 seconds. I am pooped at that point.

I never in a million years thought I would be entertaining such thoughts as "running in a 5k" but here I am. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif All these great changes, I am out running now, posting less and less political stuff, enjoying my family. Life is good. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
10-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Thanks.

eg8r

LWW
10-21-2009, 12:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bobbyrx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you've got a track you can run on, run intervals once or twice a week at a pace faster than your target 5k speed. Your 5k speed was about 9:30 min per mile, so maybe run quarter mile intervals at 8:00 min per mile speed (2 minutes a lap) with a lap of slow running or walking in between. This kind of speed work along with slowly increasing your weekly milage will help. </div></div>

That's good advice. I haven't ran regularly in many years, age 53 now, but did in HS and college as both a sprinter and a miler. Any training at the higher speed for something approaching the distance (0.25 miles or longer.) will slowly build you up to greater levels.

If you aren't running with weights yet, try some ankle and wrist weights when you train. They needn't be real heavy ... even 1 Kilo each will help ... but if you can get to a 9:50 mile with the weight you will be amazed at how fast you fly without them.

The reason they work so well is that, unlike weight evenly distributed across the body, being positioned at the limb extremities they have a huge amount of leverage without actually adding a huge amount of weight.

LWW

eg8r
10-21-2009, 09:06 AM
What is the cost to your joints for adding that additional weight?

eg8r &lt;~~~already knows running is not so good for the body

LWW
10-21-2009, 09:10 AM
I never had a joint issue, but I did have some ankle comfort issues until I switched to shoes that covered the ankles.

Also, I never used more than 2 lbs on each ankle and each wrist.

I have a friend who bought a weight vest from Sears and swears by it also. I can't say with those because they use more weight and it's not in the feet area ... but it makes sense and is adjustable.

LWW