PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Open live, on pay per view

wolfdancer
10-20-2009, 02:27 PM
Open (http://www.accu-stats.com/liveppv.html)

dg-in-centralpa
10-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Heading there tomorrow morning.

DG

Soflasnapper
10-27-2009, 09:00 AM
It may seem ridiculous, but I enjoyed streaming the ppv while I was viewing in person the same match being streamed (the television table match).

Similar to taking a radio to the ballgame, and listening to a commentary on what you're seeing.

I did a time check, to determine how long the delay was, using the sound of the break live and then waiting to hear the break on the video stream. About a 15 second delay.

It was sometimes a little disconcerting, when they were discussing the last shot, as the next shot was coming off. But when, for example, a guy like Souquet was playing (deliberately, which means SLOW! according to Danny D), often the commentary was still on the shot being considered (at considerable deliberate length). It functioned like an instant replay at all times, which was pretty cool.

I also enjoyed seeing the flashed up tpa scores to date in the match of the players (the Accu-Stat accuracy stat). I'm pretty sure those also appear on the large wall projection of the tv table, but I usually miss things up there, unless I'm watching the little tv broadcast of the tv table feed directly (not usual).

One limitation was battery life, and another issue was I'm not used to lugging around a laptop. The first limitation meant I could only do this maybe two matches in a row before I needed a recharge. I'm thinking of a smaller laptop, either an Airbook (a very light Apple), or one of those very little 8-inch screen miniature HPs, to address the lugability factor.

It wouldn't make much difference in the size of the viewing picture, since the standard size frame for the broadcast using a Quicktime player was maybe a 3x3 inch box. Adequate and pretty high resolution, which got grainy and a bit pixelated when enlarged to double size, let alone to full screen.

Did anyone view the ppv using a Windows machine and did it utilize the Window Media Player? Was it the same size screen for full resolution as the 3x3 I had?

In any case, I wholeheartedly recommend the ppv-streaming as a good value even if you're at the event, and the next best thing if you cannot attend. A little late for the Open now, but if the same kind of thing is offered for other events, I'll strongly consider a purchase.

One question: can this stream be recorded? (I think for QuickTime, you may have to upgrade to QuickTime Pro for the recording capability.)