PDA

View Full Version : Sorting out the posters

Vapros
08-13-2002, 10:39 AM
Indiana had a legitimate complaint, concerning the bs posts on this forum. Lots of long threads contain a lot of entries that have little or nothing to do with the heading of the thread, becoming a waste of time for the readers.

However, with a bit of experience, I have learned whose posts are likeliest to be worth reading and whose are probably not, and this is a definite time-saver. That is to say, some people can be expected to offer helpful information and pertinent commentary, as compared to some of the others. Have the rest of you noticed this?

Don't bother asking me to name either group. I wouldn't do it with a gun to my head. But, over time, I think we all establish a reputation of some sort through our contributions. And a lot of us (including me) might not be overjoyed to know what our reputations are. My point is that not all posters are created equal. If this strikes a nerve, we can always select a new name and do it over.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-13-2002, 11:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Vapros:</font><hr> Indiana had a legitimate complaint, concerning the bs posts on this forum. Lots of long threads contain a lot of entries that have little or nothing to do with the heading of the thread, becoming a waste of time for the readers.

However, with a bit of experience, I have learned whose posts are likeliest to be worth reading and whose are probably not, and this is a definite time-saver<hr></blockquote>

I think we all do that to some degree.

I do wish folks would change the title when the thread strays drastically.

One thing I've noticed-if you see 4 or more posts back and forth between two people it's usually personal chit-chat and can be avoided.

Rod
08-13-2002, 02:10 PM
Vapros, I think he had a legitimate complaint also. For the same reasons as you mentioned is the way I post to this board. Color me guilty at times, but we are here to discuss pool overall. We have fun playing pool and we should be allowed to have a little fun talking about the sport. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, whoever Jack is.

bluewolf
08-13-2002, 02:18 PM
i am relatively new, but I have noticed certain names as having good suggestions about pool.

Then some threads are silly but i always read certain people anyway, who are funny without being insulting.

bluewolf

Tom_In_Cincy
08-13-2002, 03:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr> My point is that not all posters are created equal. If this strikes a nerve, we can always select a new name and do it over.<hr></blockquote>

Vapros,
I disagre.. all posters are created equal.. but when they begin to post, that's where it stops... and everyone begins to be different.

This is what makes this forum so interesting. Its always a pleasure getting feedback from other posters after stating an opinion. What we don't get in a PH we get in here.

All too often, in a PH.. if one person makes a statement/opinion others are either too shy or too intimidated to respond. Few offer counter remarks, more often they agree blindly. Here the discussion includes everyone's comments. This is a very good thing.

I have been posting on RSB since 1996 and in CCB since around 1999. I also lurk at Playpoo.com and AZBilliards BBS. Lots of good reading, once you sort out the posters.

nAz
08-13-2002, 03:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Vapros:</font><hr> Indiana had a legitimate complaint, concerning the bs posts on this forum. Lots of long threads contain a lot of entries that have little or nothing to do with the heading of the thread, becoming a waste of time for the readers.
However, with a bit of experience, I have learned whose posts are likeliest to be worth reading and whose are probably not, and this is a definite time-saver. That is to say, some people can be expected to offer helpful information and pertinent commentary, as compared to some of the others. Have the rest of you noticed this?

Don't bother asking me to name either group. I wouldn't do it with a gun to my head. But, over time, I think we all establish a reputation of some sort through our contributions. And a lot of us (including me) might not be overjoyed to know what our reputations are. My point is that not all posters are created equal. If this strikes a nerve, we can always select a new name and do it over. <hr></blockquote>

i can agree with you on that but still sometimes post that have nothing to do with pool can be fun to read...for instance this post You put up on the movie Bullitt...

'i'm watching Bullitt for the twentieth time. Even after 34 years, them two no-goodniks still hit that gas station every time. Wow!! There'll never be another car chase like that one. Steve McQueen forever!" /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

08-13-2002, 03:49 PM

08-13-2002, 08:51 PM
Well I'm ready to name names. Notice the time of the post is way past my bedtime.

George Fels
Fran Crimi
Tom in Cincy
Troy
Heater 451
Grady
Mr. Ingrate
Fred Agnir
Harry Gremlin (sometimes irritating but always informative)
The NEWT gals
The CAT crew
Karla in IA
Q-guy
Whitewolf
Kayo
Voodoo
jay jay in flay
phil in soflay
jay m
cc
jim s
gayle in md (conpicuous by her absence)
cueless joey
and the one I miss most of all..............
-
-
-
stretch
-
-
sorry if i forgot anybody it's late
out,
wally

08-13-2002, 10:46 PM
I also lurk at Playpoo.com
Tom In Cincy

.. Tom, you've been around for awhile and grown up online. Please stop going to Playpoo... Smorgass Bored

bluewolf
08-14-2002, 06:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Wally:</font><hr> Well I'm ready to name names. Notice the time of the post is way past my bedtime.

George Fels
Fran Crimi
Tom in Cincy
Troy
Heater 451
Grady
Mr. Ingrate
Fred Agnir
Harry Gremlin (sometimes irritating but always informative)
The NEWT gals
The CAT crew
Karla in IA
Q-guy
Whitewolf
Kayo
Voodoo
jay jay in flay
phil in soflay
jay m
cc
jim s
gayle in md (conpicuous by her absence)
cueless joey
and the one I miss most of all..............
-
-
-
stretch
-
-
sorry if i forgot anybody it's late
out,
wally
<hr></blockquote>

are these in order of the people you like to read?I also like cheesemouse, drd,lorri and spiderman.I also like 9ball girl and karate girl and patrick.

bluewolf

bluewolf
08-14-2002, 06:44 AM
I havent been here long enough to know everybody, but am learning who is humorous and whenever i post a question about pool, I get excellent suggestions, either on the forum or privately.My two goals right now are to improve my fundamentals and get better at long and cut shots and position play. Patrick's video helped me see position in a different way, also.

bluewolf

Kato
08-14-2002, 06:45 AM
I read everybody. Whether it be for information, entertainment, whatever. I will quit threads when they get to long or over my head (read IQ thread) but I give everyone the same chance that many here have given me.

Kato

9 Ball Girl
08-14-2002, 08:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Quote: bluewolf:I also like 9ball girl and karate girl and patrick.<hr></blockquote>

Ok, Bluewolf, you've gained a spot in my CCB heart! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

P.S. I've gotta say that I thoroughly enjoy reading d0wnt0wn's informative posts as well, and my Naz, and my TomBrooklyn, too! /ccboard/images/icons/crazy.gif

SPetty
08-14-2002, 11:05 AM
Nobody likes me /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif
Everybody hates me /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif
I'm gonna eat some worms /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

SpiderMan
08-14-2002, 12:03 PM
I read every post by everyone if I'm interested in the topic of the thread, otherwise I skip over the entire thread.

But there's one poster I always read "just in case" - Patrick. He could make my dog laugh, even though I suspect he's actually trying to be serious.

One of my favorite "Patricisms", posted in response to a lengthy (and deserved) belittlement of his talent by Scott Lee:

"Imagine you are living on a planet with only apes, and you are the only human there, then one of the apes say that to you! Is this fair?" Patrick

SpiderMan

08-14-2002, 02:15 PM

Tom_In_Cincy
08-14-2002, 04:02 PM
Who says I've grown up?

Smorg.. where you been.. nevermind.. I know.. RSB and Playpool.com

Chris Cass
08-14-2002, 04:15 PM
Who are you again?

C.C.~~/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Chris Cass
08-14-2002, 04:18 PM

Sid_Vicious
08-14-2002, 05:05 PM
I filter posters in part, but usually the subject has me skip over entire threads. I will admit that some pre thought of a premonition about certain people's "judgemental auto pilot" concerning some topics, I never read. It simply keeps me in a much better mood over all, sort of like avoiding blood and guts in movie choices. "Why go there and put that in your heads when you know what to expect in advance?" sid

Karatemom
08-14-2002, 05:30 PM
I like you, SPetty.

Heide ~ at least you've got one person on your side, but then again, I'm not on the list either, LOLOLOL.

08-14-2002, 09:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr> Nobody likes me /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif
I'm gonna eat some worms /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif
<hr></blockquote>

Gales of giggles.....my cousin used to sing that all the time when we were young......
Don't worry Susan, you're number one on my list...the damned boyfriend just isn't letting me near the computer AGAIN!!!!!!! Sorry I was late. My Fav's are (in no particular order, and I've forgotten at least five of you because death is getting looked at me! LOL) SPetty, Cheesemouse, Patrick, RackmUp, Eric, The good Dr., of course!, Voodoo, Deadstroke, Cueball1950 (Where ARE you?) and how could I forget Harold? Actually, you're ALL my favorites, I miss all who go away /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Enjoy YOUR board guys!!

Wally_in_Cincy
08-15-2002, 06:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr> Nobody likes me /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif
<hr></blockquote>

Well like I said I knew I'd forget somebody /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

That's the risk of posting after my bedtime /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif.

bluewolf
08-15-2002, 07:57 AM
i skip threads i am not interested in. usually i read one or two of them, then skip the rest if not interested. if i am interested i generally read them all unless they start getting redundant. but i generally always read posters who are known for expertise in pool and good advice and ones i know are funny.i always read whitewolf because he is my husband, and i want to see if he is telling something new that he hasnt told me.i always read patrick too.

bluewolf

bluewolf
08-15-2002, 08:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt;Quote: bluewolf:I also like 9ball girl and karate girl and patrick.&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

Ok, Bluewolf, you've gained a spot in my CCB heart! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

P.S. I've gotta say that I thoroughly enjoy reading d0wnt0wn's informative posts as well, and my Naz, and my TomBrooklyn, too! /ccboard/images/icons/crazy.gif <hr></blockquote>

i like downtown too. his informative posts are good and i even like him when he is being silly.

i bet you do shoot good. am sure you could teach me a few things.

bluewolf

Eric.
08-15-2002, 01:42 PM
I feel honored to make the list!! All kidding aside, I think all the different personalities are great: some are informative, some are funny and some leave you scratching your head! All in all, a good place to hang out.

Eric &gt;Work or CCB, Work or CCB...

08-15-2002, 10:28 PM
Oh please!!! Like that contest EVER gets won by work! LOL C'Mon Eric, we all know you hang out on the CCB all day! hahaha Where ya been, Dude? Miss ya.

Scott Lee
08-17-2002, 05:45 PM
YEAH!...What SHE said! Boo hoo hoo...and just when I thought all youse guys were startin' to GET IT! LOL

poor l'il ole me! ROTFLMAO

Scott Lee
08-17-2002, 05:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> I also like the one where he posted an old picture of Scott in his younger days .<hr></blockquote>

Honest, you guys...I DYE my hair grey to LOOK older! ROTF

Scott