PDA

View Full Version : Gluing on Tips

KellyStick
10-22-2009, 05:15 PM
What kind of glue do you use to glue on tips? For my regular cue I have it done for me. BUt for all the visitor sticks I seem to have trouble keeping the tips on. Granted they get abused by teenagers and those that don't have a clue but maybe you have a better glue.

DeadCrab
10-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Lock-tite super glue gel.

I have also heard Gorilla glue works well.

cushioncrawler
10-22-2009, 10:00 PM
I uzually uze 5 minute araldite. But recently a tip started to kum off so i simply put some ordinary (non'gel) super'glue in the "gap".
Anyhow, that tip came off (or came loose) about once a week, uzualy one hour before my game -- and i uzed the super'glue to fix it again -- had to do this about 7 times.
The tip woz a triumph, with a red bakelite (???) backing -- and it woz fixed over the top of a backing from a previous tip -- this base'backing woz in effekt my ferrule (i dont hav a proper ferrule).
The failure happened tween the two layers of bakelite -- not the leather.
Anyhow i hav now gone back to 5'minute araldite -- and now hav zero worryz.

I make lots and lots of softish knife cuts across all surfaces to be glued -- even tho they hav allready been sanded.
When i had a brass ferrule i used to file lots of deep groovz akross the face before glueing.
madMac.

JoeW
10-23-2009, 07:43 AM
Here is a photo of my tip repair kit. I use Krazy Glue Gel (as shown) and have had no problems with any of my cues including house cues used by the kids. But then the kids are not allowed to really beat things around at my home.

I do not remember which cue maker posted the info about glues and why one should use this glue, I just know he was right. The cue maker was quite adament that it should be the the "gel" version of Krazy glue. He mentioned a few other glues but this was the top of his list.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q146/JoeW04/003.jpg

Sid_Vicious
10-23-2009, 01:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeadCrab</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Lock-tite super glue gel.

I have also heard Gorilla glue works well. </div></div>

I have never had a tip come loose using the gel. sid

LWW
10-24-2009, 03:01 AM
Any gel type glue should work well.

Try this also ... take a Tip Pik and poke holes in the glue side of the tip and ferrule.

This gives more, and a deeper, bonding area for the glue.

LWW

Sev
10-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Super glue jell.

Epoxy works really well if you have the time to wait for it.

Paul_Mon
10-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Loctite 454. It's a gel. I use it on the tip and fiber pad. Never had one come off. Keep the glue in the fridge after opening. I also score the tip (glue side) with a sharp razor blade. When changing tips I try to remove just the tip and reuse the fiber pad.

Paul Mon

cushioncrawler
10-24-2009, 11:14 PM
With themz tubes of glue, i allways hav trubble with the caps -- so, i dont uze the caps.
What i do iz i flatten down the end of the tube, and i put a small cut in an edge, and sqeez a drop of glue out.
To seal i tap down on the cut.
To uze again, uzually much later, i put a new small cut in an edge -- just abov the last cut.
This trick would probly work with gel too.
madMac.

1Time
11-18-2009, 04:34 PM
I also use Lock-tite super glue gel, easy to work with. But I've used other super glues just as successfully.

I've found it more important to get the ferrule flat or just slightly concave, and the back of the tip sanded flat with rough sandpaper. I use a cheap fingernail file on the ferrule, and rub the tip on 60 to 100 grit sandpaper. I use super glue because it works fast.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeadCrab</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Lock-tite super glue gel. </div></div>

Bumlak
11-20-2009, 09:54 AM
Lock-Tite also makes a super glue gel for wood and leather that's fantastic for tips. It what I used to use in our pro shop. Once the tip is on and staying in place by it's own holding power, I would recommend tapping the tip lightly on the floor to work out any air bubbles between the bottom of the tip and the ferrule.

Eric