PDA

View Full Version : Latest Mac vs. PC commercials

eg8r
10-23-2009, 08:01 AM
Well Windows 7 is finally here and there is a big hoopla about Vista 2.0. Apple is jumping in (as you knew they would) and I have to say I enjoy their commercials.

Welcome Windows 7 (http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/22/apple-welcomes-windows-7-the-only-way-it-knows-how-with-a-new-c/#continued)

eg8r

eg8r
10-23-2009, 08:18 AM
I was watching Steve Ballmer's keynote and he actually said, Im an enthusiastic personality. Pretty funny. One thing for sure is that he is the continuing "geeky" personality now that Bill has "retired".

For the techie guys, I cannot wait to see what the developers do with the co-processing capabilities that are now available. The new graphics API (DirectCompute) is a very cool idea. Although, even with these new capabilities I am still happy to have moved on from my developer past and leave the coding to others.

eg8r <~~~interested in seeing what else the developers can do besides making realistic waves in the ocean /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sev
10-24-2009, 07:52 AM
Welcome to windows XP service pack what????

I much prefer OSX.

LWW
10-24-2009, 05:50 PM
AMEN! PREACH ON!

A buddy was gushing over Windows 7 having this new dock thingie.

I said "Welcome to 2002." and got the blank stare.

LWW

sack316
10-24-2009, 10:45 PM
just saw the ad tonight, funny stuff.

I don't think anything could be the debacle ME was. It's like they took '98 (which IMO was actually their last good effort), made the media player pretty, removed functionality and made it run like crap. Call it an upgrade and pocket $99 from millions (or $199 for full version). Make people hate it so much they HAVE to get XP when it came out. Brilliant really now that I think about it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

What still tickles me on many techies/gamers is how they rail against Gates/Microsoft so much, yet swear by the superiority of X-Box. "I'll never give a dime to that damn Bill Gates... now let's go play Halo" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

Sev
10-25-2009, 07:45 AM
Anybody running Snow Leopard yet?

LWW
10-25-2009, 06:13 PM
I'm running OSX.IV.VII still.

Are you the guy who builds his own Macs?

Whassupwiddat?

LWW

eg8r
10-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Yes and no. My inlaws bought an iMac 27" and I got a chance to fool with it. It is amazing how different it is from Microsoft. The new Magic Mouse is pretty cool to.

eg8r

eg8r
10-27-2009, 11:41 AM
I am on the fence. I find OSX a pain sometimes but that is because I spend most of my time on a PC. Not sure about your dig on service packs though. What is wrong with an mfg fixing problems?

eg8r

Chopstick
10-27-2009, 11:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am on the fence. I find OSX a pain sometimes but that is because I spend most of my time on a PC. Not sure about your dig on service packs though. What is wrong with an mfg fixing problems?

eg8r </div></div>

The mfg is crap along with their product. The entire design philosophy of windows is stupid. Unix does everything windows promised to do and never delivered and it has been doing it reliably for over 35 years. They are never going to get that windows crap running right. MSFT's BS has done more damage to the US economy than any terrorist ever could.

eg8r
10-27-2009, 01:46 PM
LOL, so how do you really feel? But again, what is wrong with them trying to fix it once it is already out in the market place and users are finding problems?

eg8r

LWW
10-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Nothing wrong with fixing them.

Big problem with fixes that create more and worse problems.

LWW

Chopstick
10-28-2009, 07:44 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody running Snow Leopard yet? </div></div>

I didn't know you could until you guys mentioned it. I looked into it and I am going to try and build one. The problem is that all the how to documents are calling for having a Mac to format a drive for the install. I haven't found one that starts from scratch without a Mac to or a pre-installed OSX drive to start with.

Chopstick
10-28-2009, 08:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL, so how do you really feel? But again, what is wrong with them trying to fix it once it is already out in the market place and users are finding problems?

eg8r </div></div>

The problem I see with what they are doing is piecemeal updates. You never do that even in the Unix world. Individual patches are never fully tested. They are only unit tested to fix a specific problem. Often they break something else. You also compromise the configuration management baseline of the system when you apply them.

Service packs would be stress tested against the full OS functionality. The way they have hacked up the OS trying to make the apps totally dependent on them in an attempt to establish a monopoly means there will be no end to problems. They are never going to fix it. The fundamental design philosophy is just plain stupid and it came from Bill Gates.

Deeman3
10-28-2009, 08:38 AM
Guys,

You know all of you are wandering dangerously close to nerd territory! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Chopstick, you lost me at OSX drive. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r
10-28-2009, 11:49 AM
LOL, then regression testing is right up your alley. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r