PDA

View Full Version : ADHD - Left eyed, 2 minute Lessons!

Billy_Bob
10-25-2009, 10:12 AM
I have a friend who is diagnosed with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)and I play pool with him frequently.

When I first started playing pool with him, I was of the opinion he could not aim worth beans and was not capable of learning anything...

It turns out this is not the case!

My friend had some testing done by a psychologist and I've been helping him to understand the psychologist's report by looking things up on the internet and reading about ADHD. (The testing was done for things going on with his life in general, not just to be a better pool player! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif )

It turns out there are some interesting traits, which if properly addressed, can turn that "not so good pool player" into quite a good player!

I read that these people tend to be "cross eye dominant". This means they can be right handed and left eyed. Or left handed and right eyed.

So if they are right handed, left eyed, and aiming using their right eye, of course they will have problems aiming! So just a matter of finding which is their dominant eye, then using that eye to aim with. Suddenly aiming is much better!

Then the other thing is learning and ADHD. I've read you can't give them an hour lesson and expect them to pay attention and learn everything. It just does not work!

As it turns out, they have a short attention span and there is a "trick" for them to learn best. That is a short lesson a few minutes long, then a break with wild activity (use up that energy), then another short lesson a few minutes long, then another break with wild activity, etc.

Of course this would all depend on the particular person's attention span. And I would assume people would be different. But the bottom line is that you can't cram a long lesson down their throat. It needs to be tailored to their attention span.

And I have read that when this learning method is used, ADHD persons can go on to achieve great things.

Then one other thing is that ADHD is a chemical problem in the brain. Not enough of certain chemicals. And it turns out that certain anti-depressant drugs just so happen to increase one or more of these chemicals. So that might be a solution worth exploring as well (for adults with ADHD).

My friend has been diagnosed with ADHD since he was a small child and did not know any of the above.

Anyway I have written in the past about how different people learn to play pool best with different learning methods. This is yet another thing to look for. Then tailor the lessons to best suit the individual. Might get much better results!

FYI - For those with ADHD, the psychologist also pointed out that many persons with ADHD have an exceptional ability to use their hands. That is they can rapidly move their fingers, much faster than other people. And they can use their hands for doing different things at the same time. Like playing different tunes with each hand on a piano at the same time and can do it rapidly.

And persons with ADHD have an exceptional creative ability. Create new music, art, poetry, etc.

Anyway so far as pool playing goes, if you have ADHD or know someone who does, try short lessons mixed with wild pool playing for learning best. And check eye dominance. More on that here...

Eye Dominance...
http://vision.about.com/od/contactlenses/ht/Eye_Dominance.htm

More on ADHD...

Amazing Musical Abilities of Autistic and ADHD Kids...
(Tips on learning too)
http://pianoiseasy2.com/amazing.html

All about ADHD...
http://www.enotalone.com/article/4121.html

JoeW
10-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Nice post Billy Bob. Most things in life come with trade offs. People with handicaps often have excellent skills in other areas.

When working with behavior disordered kids (delinquents) I would sometimes point out their strong will and courage. They have what it takes to walk into a store with a gun, most of us don't. We only need to find a way to turn that strong will that has been used for the wrong purposes into a strength that will make their life better. This is also true for many other so called handicaps.

bradb
10-27-2009, 04:20 PM
My sympathys to your friend, I too have had ADHD since I was a child.

Of course it was'nt called that back then... you were just a high strung, constantly fidgeting, undisciplined kid who day dreamed all the time and ignored the teacher because you were not very bright. There were at least a hundred times I was kicked out of class or punished for not replying to a question. I can remember the fear I had whenever the teacher would come up to my desk, lean down and shout into my face how dumb I was because I would'nt listen.

I survived though it all because somehow I managed to retain my lessons by reading my text books over and over again until it sunk in. But in class I was ungrounded and totally disconnected from discussion.

I loved comic books about literature, especially the Tarzan series. They inspired me to write and draw. I created my own super hero and soon I was drawing my own strips. I made Xerox copies and sold them to other kids for a nickle each. I built up quite a readership and really had my teachers mystified... how could such a stupid kid come up with these stories and illustrate them out?

Later in life I became an artist and was able overcome my problems, then even later I had some counseling, but it will always be with me and I have to fight it every day.

I play pool at near the A level but it I too have a very disorientated dominate eye. When I'm shooting a right off angle shot I'm very effective, but to the left I cannot find the line, and if I shoot it as I see it, I will over cut the ball wide to the right. I have to concentrate on focusing through both eyes to correct this shot.

Also I can think of a lot of matches I lost because I marked my points on my opponents score. Its got me into some heated arguments many times.

But for myself I have never considered it a handicap, it just an irritating problem that can be over come with extra focus and hard work.

Brad

Billy_Bob
10-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Thank you for that post Brad. I will print it out and give it to my friend.

It will mean a LOT to him. And I mean a LOT! (Especially the part about you being near the A level with your pool playing!)

bradb
10-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Thanks Billy Bob, I hope my humble story in some way can help.

There are other factors too which over time I have come to realize as positive in overcoming ADHD.

One is diet and nutrition, people with this problem should stay away from sugar, starchy foods, processed foods, and preservatives, they are your enemy. Many problems can also be solved by pin-pointing any alergies, (which I have many) for instance refined flour, Sulphates and MSG. Gets lots of vitamins such as B and B6.

I don't like any medications such as Adavan, Prozac or other anti-depressants, I tried them and it made my condition even worse, they are for depression not hyperness and they actually added to my anxiety.

My counseler put me on deep breathing exercises and a good physical activity program, this did wonders to burn off my excess energy. Some find Yoga helpful.

And of course PLAY LOTS OF POOL!... its the best training for controling anxiety and staying focused when you're under pressure. Brad