PDA

View Full Version : FEW BUT : White Southern/Repubs Trust Fox

Gayle in MD
10-26-2009, 12:08 PM
http://washingtonindependent.com/55249/poll-whites-southerners-republicans-few-others-trust-fox-news

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Poll: Whites, Southerners, Republicans, Few Others, Trust Fox News
By David Weigel 8/17/09 10:15 AM
An interesting poll from Daily Kos/Research 2000 asks Americans which of the three main cable news channels they watch. Some hypotheses are confirmed right away: Republicans mostly watch Fox (25 percent of them daily), Democrats mostly watch MSNBC (14 percent of them daily), and independents, who don’t particularly watch anything, mostly gravitate towards CNN.

The biggest swing region in the poll? The South. In Southern states, 46 percent of viewers say that Fox News is “extremely reliable” or “reliable.” Only 6 percent of them say that of MSNBC, compared to 26 percent who say it of CNN, a huge shift from the days when CNN was derided as the “Communist/Clinton News Network.” And non-white viewers really don’t like Fox. Only 5 percent of African-Americans, 11 percent of Hispanics, and 8 percent of other minorities consider the network reliable, while a majority of every one of those groups trusts CNN and sizable pluralities trust MSNBC.

</div></div>

Recent:

The O'Garbage FactorP:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/218192

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Last week, when White House Communications Director Anita Dunn charged the Fox News Channel with right-wing bias, Fox responded the way it always does. It denied the accusation with a straight face while proceeding to confirm it with its coverage.

Consider Fox's Web story on the episode. It quotes five people. Two of them work for Fox. All of them assert that administration officials are either wrong in substance or politically foolish to criticize the network. No one is cited supporting Dunn's criticisms or saying that it could make sense for Obama to challenge the network's power. It's a textbook example of a biased journalism. (Click here to follow Jacob Weisberg.)

If you were watching Fox News Channel, you saw the familiar roster of platinum pundettes and anchor androids reciting the same soundbites: this was Obama's version of Nixon's enemies list, the rest of the news media is in Obama's corner, Obama should get back to governing, and so on. On The O'Reilly Factor, Alan Colmes, the network's weak, battered house liberal, mumbled semi-agreement while "Doctor" Monica Crowley and Bill O'Reilly lit up the scoreboard with these talking points.

Any news organization that took its responsibilities seriously would take pains to cover presidential criticism fairly. It would regard doing so as itself a test of integrity. At Fox, by contrast, complaints of unfairness prompt only hoots of derision and demands for "evidence" that, when presented, is brushed off and ignored.

There is no need to get bogged down in this phony debate, which itself constitutes an abuse of the fair-mindedness of the rest of the media. One glance at Fox's Web site or five minutes' random viewing of the channel at any hour of the day demonstrates its all-pervasive slant. The lefty documentary Outfoxed spent a lot of time mustering evidence that Fox managers order reporters to take the Republican side. But after 13 years under Roger Ailes, Fox employees skew news right as instinctively as fish swim.

Rather than in any way maturing, Fox has in recent months become more boisterous and demagogic. Fox sponsored as much as it covered the anti-Obama "tea parties" this summer. Its "fact checking" about the president's health-care proposal is provided by Karl Rove. And weepy Glenn Beck has begun to exhibit a Strangelovean concern about government invading our bloodstream by vaccinating people for swine flu. With this misinformation campaign, Fox stands to become the first network to actively try to kill its viewers.

That Rupert Murdoch may tilt the news rightward more for commercial than ideological reasons is beside the point. What matters is the way that Fox's model has invaded the bloodstream of the American media. By showing that ideologically distorted news can drive ratings, Ailes has provoked his rivals at CNN and MSNBC to develop a variety of populist and ideological takes on the news. In this way, Fox hasn't just corrupted its own coverage. Its example has made all of cable news unpleasant and unreliable.

What's most distinctive about the American press is not its freedom but its century-old tradition of independence—that it serves the public interest rather than those of parties, persuasions, or pressure groups. Media independence is a 20th-century innovation that has never fully taken root in many other countries that do have a free press. The Australian-British-continental model of politicized media that Murdoch has applied at Fox is un-American, so much so that he has little choice but go on denying what he's doing as he does it. For Murdoch, Ailes, and company, "fair and balanced" is a necessary lie. To admit that their coverage is slanted by design would violate the American understanding of the media's role in democracy and our idea of what constitutes fair play. But it's a demonstrable deceit that no longer deserves equal time.

Whether the White House engages with Fox is a tactical political question. Whether we journalists continue to do so is an ethical one. By appearing on Fox, reporters validate its propaganda values and help to undermine the role of legitimate news organizations. Respectable journalists—I'm talking to you, Mara Liasson—should stop appearing on its programs. A boycott would make Ailes too happy, so let's try just ignoring Fox, shall we? And no, I don't want to come on The O'Reilly Factor to discuss it.

Jacob Weisberg is also the author of The Bush Tragedy and In an Uncertain World: Tough Choices from Wall Street to Washington.

</div></div>

pooltchr
10-26-2009, 12:17 PM
You are such a good little soldier...going out there and fighting Obama's war on FOX for him.

So white southerners, AKA the reasonable sector of the population, doesn't buy into the left slanted MSNBC crap.

The South(the last bastion of sanity) will rise again!

Steve

llotter
10-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Some might call then good soldiers but others prefer Useful Idiots.

LWW
10-26-2009, 01:33 PM
A poll from ... oh my GAWD ... the DAILY KOS!

LWW

Deeman3
10-26-2009, 02:03 PM
What hateful drivel.

hondo
10-26-2009, 07:51 PM
Well, Gayle, here's one white Southerner who doesn't buy into
Fox News.

As much as I think the world of you, Gayle, there are many, open-minded, true thinking, non-racist folks in the South.

Please don't be offended but it does seem to me that you tend to over-generalize at times.

My wife and I have a lot of family in Florida, Kentucky,
South Carolina, Virginia, and Texas who's thinking is far closer to yours than Dub, Lotter, and those vipers.

sack316
10-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Personally, I don't buy into what any news outlet says at face value. I watch all the channels at some point or another throughout the day/night. I may hear something that peaks my interest, and then I begin looking into it myself. I then lump all the information in together, combine it with my own critical thinking, and form my own opinions/take on the subject.

Besides, this post as stated originally can't be true. Our TVs with rabbit ears sitting on TV trays with a bullet hole or two in 'em can't get a cable news station. We were probably confused by the questioning in the poll, thinking of Fox News as a huntin' magazine... which we do find quite reliable (good article this month on good ways to tweak the urine scent we normally dab on).

Sack

pooltchr
10-26-2009, 08:26 PM
My rabbit ears fell apart a long time ago. But I got an old CB antenna duct taped to the roof of the out house.
Works great!!!! (Well, except when Uncle Bert gets a bout of IBS...then nobody can get within 50 yards to adjust it when we change channels)

Steve

sack316
10-26-2009, 08:33 PM
I get my news from the Hamm and CB radios too!

Sack

Deeman3
10-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Well, as Fox fades into obscurity after the Obama attacks, we'll just all have to switch over to those real news networks like MSNBC, if they are still around.

Who would think a News network would have the gall to ask questions of a sitting president. Not in Obama's world. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Hey, it is the one decision he has made since being elected. War on Fox sure beats the heck out of the War on Terror.

Gayle in MD
10-27-2009, 09:43 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, Gayle, here's one white Southerner who doesn't buy into
Fox News.

As much as I think the world of you, Gayle, there are many, open-minded, true thinking, non-racist folks in the South.

Please don't be offended but it does seem to me that you tend to over-generalize at times.

South Carolina, Virginia, and Texas who's thinking is far closer to yours than Dub, Lotter, and those vipers. </div></div>

Hey, I didn't write it, it was in the survey.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The biggest swing region in the poll? The South. In Southern states, 46 percent of viewers say that Fox News is “extremely reliable” or “reliable.” </div></div>

There are educated people all over this country, in every state. That goes without saying.

I must say, though, that when it comes to mythology, religious and otherwise, fox viewers have the franchise, and as the poll states,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Southern states, 46 percent of viewers say that Fox News is “extremely reliable” or “reliable.” </div></div>

The link that I see, most often in my own life, not only here, but everywhere else, is between religious fanatics, and radical RW fringe elements, who don't seem to have muh of a detection ability to seperate mythology, from reality. Are there more of those types in the south? Do they call it the bible belt? Did the Democratics lose the south after Johnson pushed through the equal rights legislation? Do Republicans, the masters of lies and myths, have a base which is located in the southern states?

Sorry, but I see connections, that doesn't mean that every single southerner fits the profile, but the profile, is definitely there.

G.

Gayle in MD
05-23-2011, 08:59 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, Gayle, here's one white Southerner who doesn't buy into
Fox News.

South Carolina, Virginia, and Texas who's thinking is far closer to yours than Dub, Lotter, and those vipers. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The biggest swing region in the poll? The South. In Southern states, 46 percent of viewers say that Fox News is “extremely reliable” or “reliable.” </div></div>

There are educated people all over this country, in every state. That goes without saying.

I must say, though, that when it comes to mythology, religious and otherwise, fox viewers have the franchise, and as the poll states,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Southern states, 46 percent of viewers say that Fox News is “extremely reliable” or “reliable.” </div></div>

The link that I see, most often in my own life, not only here, but everywhere else, is between religious fanatics, and radical RW fringe elements, who don't seem to have muh of a detection ability to seperate mythology, from reality. Are there more of those types in the south? Do they call it the bible belt? Did the Democratics lose the south after Johnson pushed through the equal rights legislation? Do Republicans, the masters of lies and myths, have a base which is located in the southern states?

Sorry, but I see connections, that doesn't mean that every single southerner fits the profile, but the profile, is definitely there.

G. </div></div>

LOL, BTW, 45% of Republican Voters, are Evengelicals, LOL....

LWW
05-23-2011, 03:50 PM
What's an evengelical?

pooltchr
05-23-2011, 04:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's an evengelical? </div></div>

It's just another label she uses when she feels the need to hate an entire group of people.

Steve

cushioncrawler
05-23-2011, 05:18 PM
The commercial media in ozz certainly iz very biased, ie rightwing. But i dont watch even 1 minute of any of that.
I watch the gov funded non-commercial channel (The ABC -- Channel 2). Plus i watch the semi-commercial gov funded channel (SBS -- Channel 1).
SBS shows PBS newshour every day (the next day). It used to show The Colbert Report and allso Jon Stewart but theze 2 shows were taken off the air possibly after complaints (not sure).
mac.

Sid_Vicious
05-23-2011, 07:48 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, Gayle, here's one white Southerner who doesn't buy into
Fox News.

G. </div></div>

I live down here in the south and I agree...there's lots of nutty religious people to be easily swayed by politicians, far more percentage-wise than north of the Mason Dixon line. I understood your intentions in the posted survey right away. It is pathetic IMO how those voters in the south are so easily made to look so gullible with a simple "Vote fer me, I'm religious and won't vote for abortion" bozos. It's all a simple scam, and so many people fall for it with no hesitation, including many in my own family. Sad. BTW, I won't watch Fox at all. sid

pooltchr
05-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Careful there, Sid. Gayle actually lives south of the Mason-Dixon line. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I have lived in both the north and the south, and from personal experience, I can tell you there are just as many nuts living up north. It's not geographical, and people who try to make it so are bigots, pure and simple.

Steve

Gayle in MD
05-24-2011, 06:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, Gayle, here's one white Southerner who doesn't buy into
Fox News.

G. </div></div>

I live down here in the south and I agree...there's lots of nutty religious people to be easily swayed by politicians, far more percentage-wise than north of the Mason Dixon line. I understood your intentions in the posted survey right away. It is pathetic IMO how those voters in the south are so easily made to look so gullible with a simple "Vote fer me, I'm religious and won't vote for abortion" bozos. It's all a simple scam, and so many people fall for it with no hesitation, including many in my own family. Sad. BTW, I won't watch Fox at all. sid </div></div>

Yes, and the Red States, always preaching about no handouts, get the most hand outs, from the Feds.

They are the sickest people in the country, The Bible Belt! AKA the Diabetes Belt.

Anyone who an't admit that the Fox Network, is not in any way a reliable source of "News" is truly suffering from severe ignorance, and denial.

Same ones who voted twice, for Bush, who is at the bottom, in presidential ratings by non partisan historians.

G.

pooltchr
05-24-2011, 09:06 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Same ones who voted twice, for Bush, who is at the bottom, in presidential ratings by non partisan historians.

G. </div></div>

Someone who voted for the community organizer has no room to talk about anyone else!

Steve