PDA

View Full Version : Stacked Teams In League

Sid_Vicious
10-26-2009, 07:48 PM
I have a situation. There's a B-league beginning to form, word of mouth was that there's supposed to be only one A-player allowed per team, but it's already apparent to my knowledgable mind, that this is going to me a very un-inforced rule. I personally know many "new" and "green" players joining, and I feel it a personal obligation to them, to say just what I think about the fuc-n they will get, along with the loss of any payback at the end of the season. Mainly though, it really pisses me off that a local league of stature in Dallas would allow stacking, just to get the league revenues up. What would you do? Would you simply be silent and just watch the hosing to happen? Life surely has more important things besides pool, but at that same time it's sad to me to KNOW what's happening to the new players and not do anything about it. Life may not be fair, but.......sid

pooltchr
10-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Who makes the determination of who is an A-player and who isn't? What is the criteria they use? Or is it just someone's opinion as to who is and isn't?

I think what you have is an unenforcable rule. Player's skill levels are a fairly subjective concept. You might think someone is an A-player, and I might think they are a B+.

How do you decide?

Steve

Bambu
10-27-2009, 10:34 AM
I agree with Steve, but I think some tournament directors are leaps and bounds better than others I have seen. Thats what separates good leagues and tourneys from bad ones. It all comes down to how good/fair the director is. Some tourneys dont even have plus/minus ratings. Youre either an A or a B, with no middle ground. Pretty tough on anyone who happens to be weak for their rating. Not much you can do about it though, except find a better place to play. But unless someone asks my opinion, I wouldnt complain. I'd either accept it, or shoot somewhere else.

Chopstick
10-30-2009, 03:00 PM
I'd go get a few of my buddies and spank em all like babies. Then I would get bored with it and quit. Been there. Done that. Screw league play. It cuts into my drinkin and ho-chasin time.

BCA Master Instr
11-03-2009, 04:06 PM
SID: How's that B-League formin up??? randyg

Sid_Vicious
11-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Doc's done a great job with it, we now have 10 teams and no byes. I learned quickly to not take teams playing there for granted, just because they may have an assembly of generic looking players maybe mixed with women shooting with plain jane Mali cues and guys who don't deliver the best stroke cycle, and yet are smart players and can shoot. I don't know most of the players in this league from my being here in the Dallas scene for so long, which is exciting in itself. You may know that 8-B isn't my preferred game, but I've adopted/ elected a good avenue of playing it by pulling more Bob Vanover safeties instead of going so offensive. Pool in this league is fun, yet it pays to work your entire game set to "make a win", hardly any gimmies. There is a lot of talent there, and I am sure I'm in for my share of zeros on the sheet down the line. sid

BCA Master Instr
11-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Sid: Are you the A Player on a B team?

Sid_Vicious
11-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Oh hell no Randy...sid

Deeman3
11-30-2009, 02:27 PM
In 1983 I saw the most atacked team ever in Vegas, they were called the East End Dames and I never heard anyone complaign at how well they were stacked.

Sid, like Choppstick says, "git a team and beat 'em!" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

wolfdancer
11-30-2009, 03:17 PM
Best men's team I ever saw in LV was a team from Spain; a father and at least 2 of his sons comprised the starting line up, and they walked away with the 1st place trophy.
They weren't the best team ever, but definitely "best in show" that year.

BCA Master Instr
12-03-2009, 10:06 AM
I think Grandpa was on the team also. Sid is correct....awesome