PDA

View Full Version : Jean Balukas' Pocket Billiards

9 Ball Girl
08-13-2002, 02:50 PM
Did you guys know of this Out of Print-limited book that was published back in May of 2000? I ran across a review of it:

Jean Balukas' Pocket Billiards by Jean Balukas, Joel H. Cohen (Editor) This is an excellent introduction to the early years of Pocket Billiards best woman player. Jean Balukas was and still is one of the most fascinating people in Billiards. Not too long after this book came out, Jean was banned from competing in the Women's Professional Billiard Association due to her refusal to pay a $200 fine that was imposed, and she was railroaded out of the Men's Professional tour due to pettiness. One of the best players in the history of the game, the youngest player ever inducted into the BCA Hall of Fame, retired forever from the game of Billiards at the top of her game. This book is an excellent opportunity to lear about someone who became the best in the world, but never wanted the publicity that came with her fame. This book is very hard to find.

Well, I sent my request in to secure a copy of this book for myself. Pettiness from the Men's Tour? Can you imagine which player(s) could've possibly not want to get beaten by a female?

SPetty
08-13-2002, 03:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Did you guys know of this Out of Print-limited book that was published back in May of 2000? I ran across a review of it:

Well, I sent my request in to secure a copy of this book for myself. <hr></blockquote>Hi Girl,

I didn't realize it was such a recent printing. I was under the impression that it was older than that... Where/how do you send in a request to "secure a copy of this book"?

nAz
08-13-2002, 03:21 PM
Some guy brought in that book about a year and a half ago to have Jean sign it... she was so thrilled. i always thought thAt book was older though,like from 83-or 84. ohwell. Prob. sold 50 copies hehehehe dont tell Jean i said that /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

cuechick
08-13-2002, 05:28 PM
It is older, 9-ball girl was quoteing from a customer review at Amazon dated May 2000. The book is much older and I am guessing hard to find.
To answer S.Petty, you can be put on a wait list at Amazon in case a copy gets posted. I have bought a lot of used books through Amazon and had good experiance. I will try and find a copy 1st through my own local used dealers.

nAz
08-13-2002, 06:59 PM
oh im sorry i thought since she wrote: "Did you guys know of this Out of Print-limited book that was published back in May of 2000? I ran across a review of it"
i got confused with the published in 2001 part. to me it means book was published in 2001 my bad

Vagabond
08-13-2002, 07:05 PM
Howdy,
I am very fond of Jean Balukas and I wish I could get hold of that book.She is one of my dream girls.cheers
Vagabond

nAz
08-13-2002, 07:07 PM
"She is one of my dream girls". LOL hehehe ill tell her that when i c her this week lol

Vagabond
08-13-2002, 07:55 PM
Howdy,
Please do me that favor and I will treat u for dinner in Russian tea room in Newyork.Cheers
Vagabond

NH_Steve
08-13-2002, 07:56 PM
I did a quick search at Alibris.com and found two copies -- both pretty pricey.
http://www.alibris.com/search/detail.cfm?chunk=25&amp;query=jean%20balukas&amp;S=R&amp;bid=8 014913835&amp;pqtynew=&amp;page=1&amp;matches=2&amp;qsort=r
(Alibris search links go dead pretty quickly, but just redo the search yourself if you come up dead with the link above)

A search at Abebooks turned up none today.
http://www.abebooks.com/

cuechick
08-13-2002, 08:40 PM
A little too rich for my blood. I'll have to hope to stumble on one that a mere mortal can afford. Unless I win the Mega Millions tonight!

nAz
08-13-2002, 09:22 PM
HEY!!! you know damn well the russian tea room close up last week! ill settle for a cheese burger deluxe from tavern on the green them burgers are HUGE!! wait maybe something from Kats deli eemm

9 Ball Girl
08-13-2002, 11:09 PM
Oh yeah, the book is old but for some reason it shows that it was published in 5/2002. The book was actually written some time after Jean stopped playing.

9 Ball Girl
08-13-2002, 11:13 PM
Through Amazon.com as Cuechick mentioned. They'll put you on a waiting list and because the book is out of print and limited, you tell them how much you're willing to pay.

Lester
08-14-2002, 06:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: nAz:</font><hr> "She is one of my dream girls". LOL hehehe ill tell her that when i c her this week lol <hr></blockquote>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Naz, tell her she still has alot of devoted fans. Her abilities are legendary. And tell her I watched her "drilling" wing shots, the length of the table on the Rose show while everybody else was talking. Hope one day to "bang some around" with her. ***Lester***

TomBrooklyn
08-14-2002, 06:20 AM
How about the special at Papaya King? 2 hot dogs and a medium sized fresh fruit drink: $2.49.

bluewolf
08-14-2002, 06:58 AM
i missed the name of the book. could someone resend it to me, please. i know some out of print dealers I might be able to get it from

bluewolf

9 Ball Girl
08-14-2002, 08:07 AM
Hey Lester, if you're ever in the NY area, you should come down to Hall of Fame Billiards on a Thursday night where you can "bang some around" with her. You might even get to play with Gerda, too!

Even better, you might be able to play Naz, TomBrooklyn, or even me! /ccboard/images/icons/crazy.gif

Lester
08-14-2002, 08:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Hey Lester, if you're ever in the NY area, you should come down to Hall of Fame Billiards on a Thursday night where you can "bang some around" with her. You might even get to play with Gerda, too!

Even better, you might be able to play Naz, TomBrooklyn, or even me! /ccboard/images/icons/crazy.gif <hr></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Thanks for the invite Wendy, I will definitely "hold you to it" when I get up to the Big Apple. ***Lester***

9 Ball Girl
08-14-2002, 08:15 AM
Jean Balukas' Pocket Billiards by Jean Balukas, Joel H. Cohen

nAz
08-14-2002, 08:24 AM
Yep like wendy said get down here. you might even get to play
(drum row here) Tom from Brooklyn lol

Lester
08-14-2002, 08:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: nAz:</font><hr> Yep like wendy said get down here. you might even get to play
(drum row here) Tom from Brooklyn lol <hr></blockquote>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Had the opportunity to play Gerda a couple games of 9ball when the WPBA was in town. She played well - right handed and left handed. I enjoyed that, and she was really nice. I can see all you "heavy hitters" lining up for me. ha ha Seriously, I'll look you guys up.
***Lester~Baltimore Baby, Armpit of the east coast. lol

NH_Steve
08-14-2002, 09:32 AM
The one I linked from the Alibris listing has this info:

Jean Balukas Pocket Billards
by Cohen, Joel H.
First Edition. Atheneum, New Haven (1980)