PDA

View Full Version : Calling for help on computer

Deeman3
10-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Hey,

A couple of you guys under 80. I see that OfficeMax is going to sell those little Acer netbooks for $150 on Black Friday, I assume this is not a racial thing. If Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving, does that mean you have to stand in line and camp out to get one or do they normally give out rainchecks for those who don't get one?

I am asking as I want something lighter than my laptop to just check e-mails and I hear this is the cheaper way for those of us outside civilization with no mobile service for an i-phone.

They are normally only about $300 so is it worth the trouble to go to OficeMax on that day. I have never set foot in an OfficeMax but they have one in Montgomery.

I ma really asking what you think and am not channeling Sid. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
There are no jealous bouyfriends nor barfights involved in this request! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r
10-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Well, look at it this way...How much is your time worth? Is it worth you sitting out in front of a store for a few hours for $150? For me yes (but not for a netbook). /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

wolfdancer
10-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Dee, I checked my 3 favorite places to buy electronics
Fry's, Costco, and Buy.com
Nobody has that price beat, not even on a blue Monday sale....
I'm sure that when you mention that you voted twice for GWB, and once for Palin.....they'll move you to a better place in the line....

Chopstick
10-28-2009, 03:02 PM
I don't know about those netbooks. I have never looked at them. I did get a little bitty sony on my last trip to Dallas. It makes a big difference hauling that thing through airports. It's a full featured laptop though. I'll check them out next time I go to the store.

Deeman3
10-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Guys,

Thanks, I guess a buck fifty is not worth sitting in line for but I am, above all, cheap. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I know it won't do much but that is the point. I have a mega giga computer right here to do the advanced graphics and my laptop is about the same, loaded with stuff, and software and memory but is a hassle to carry around when all I really need is to get connected and sometimes write a few pages on a book or article.

I think I'll just get up early and run by the store as I'll be near there on the day after Thanksgiving and if there is no long liines, go in and buy one. If not, I'll pay the 3 bills on-line.

Thanks /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

sack316
10-28-2009, 03:41 PM
I thought the Montgomery one shut down... or was taken over by Depot?

Sack

DickLeonard
10-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Deeman you should be able to hire a stand-in for $25 they go for Fifty up north. They're more highly educated plus they need winter gear. ####

LWW
10-29-2009, 07:00 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DickLeonard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Deeman you should be able to hire a stand-in for $25 they go for Fifty up north. They're more highly educated plus they need winter gear. #### </div></div>

That explains why you aren't offered the position.

LWW

LWW
10-29-2009, 07:00 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dee, I checked my 3 favorite places to buy electronics
Fry's, Costco, and Buy.com
Nobody has that price beat, not even on a blue Monday sale....
I'm sure that when you mention that you voted twice for GWB, and once for Palin.....they'll move you to a better place in the line.... </div></div>

IS there no topic you won't troll?

LWW

Deeman3
10-29-2009, 07:25 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DickLeonard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Deeman you should be able to hire a stand-in for $25 they go for Fifty up north. They're more highly educated plus they need winter gear. #### </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Good point Dick, plus most of them are unemployed right now. Well, at least with the global warming, they won't be as cold as normal as I see Coloraro and Pennsylvania in the clutches of the global warming trend right now. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I have the feeling that if I gave a person the money, I'd probably never see them again. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </span>

Unless someone finds a deal on the internet, I'll just pay the $300 and be done with it.

Chopstick
10-29-2009, 09:23 AM
It looks pretty nice. I was in Best Buy looking at the Mac netbook and this kid walks by and says "I don't recommend that one" and starts telling me how it doesn't have enough memory blah, blah, blah. Kids always think they know everything. PC geeks get on my nerves no matter what size they come in.

I do realize that I am a professional mega geek but I feel that I am unique in geekdom in that I might just whoop your a$$ if you call me one. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Acer netbook review (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RJYXTa_OJo)

Deeman3
10-29-2009, 09:48 AM
Chopstick,

Thanks. It maybe simple but that is all I need for carrying around on my bike and opening e-mails on the road.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r
10-29-2009, 10:52 AM
No need to check them out at the store, they won't allow you to take them apart. Just look it up online. For the most part they are much slower than a laptop but for most people they work fine (email, solitaire and surfing the web). The biggest complaint I hear from people is that the monitor is smaller than their laptop. Duh!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
10-29-2009, 10:55 AM
Yep it will work perfect for you. I guess the big problem is why worry about emails when out on the bike? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

wolfdancer
10-29-2009, 03:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A couple of you guys under 80 </div></div>
Say now.....you might be missing the boat with those restrictions.
I went to school to learn how to program the IBM 405 (jackboard), and owned a TR-80, also worked with a Kaypro...even own one now, and looking for an OS disk for it.....you can't get that kind of experienced input on buying computers, from anybody under 70

sack316
10-30-2009, 04:32 AM
I still remember code for apple works... does that count?

Sack