PDA

View Full Version : Diamond or Gold Crown 5?

Soflasnapper
10-29-2009, 11:00 AM
After some aggravation with used Gold Crowns, I am thinking of buying a new table.

I've heard GC 5 is a terrific table and highly regarded, so that was my original leaning on this.

Then I thought about the Diamond tables as well.

Any thoughts on how those tables compare? All things being equal, which would you prefer?

Thanks for any feedback.

10-29-2009, 03:02 PM
I've never played on a GC V.

That said, the best playing table (IMO) to date is a Diamond Pro.

Eric

JoeW
10-29-2009, 05:25 PM
I have had a competition quality Gold Crown III (now with 4.5" pockets) for over 20 years and play on 7' Diamonds at one of the local bars. If I were to buy a new table I would look very closely at the Diamond. There are many features that are very appealing. The rails, deep shelf pockets, table finish, and excellent rails are just some of the things that come to mind. I believe they may be easier to level and thus can be moved around the room as needed -- not sure of the latter though.

I believe they are also less expensive. May be one of the few times you get more value for less money.

On the other hand my GC III plays as well today as it did when I bought it new. I don't know if the same could be said for a Diamond and would want to check that out. My GC III has been moved five or six times and always comes back as a great table.

Bambu
10-30-2009, 08:19 AM
I have gold crown III problems myself, and have been thinking about another table. I never played on one, but every dealer or mechanic I talk to says the GC 5 kinda sucks. Never played on a full size diamond either, but they seem to be highly regarded these days.

The thing I dont like about diamond tables is that no rooms around here use them. I will either repair my table or get a GC I or II this time. I dont want a table that plays differently than whats out there.

Soflasnapper
10-30-2009, 10:48 AM
I like the idea of a one-piece slate (advantage, Diamond), and also the classic look of the old standard table (advantage Brunswick).

I also like the idea of saving about $2,000 on the retail price (advantage Diamond).

Bambu, I have not heard of problems with the GC5 and rather the opposite (that they are highly regarded by players and table mechanics).

Any others who have heard one way or the other about GC5 problems or kudos?

I probably need to find some new equipment from both manufacturers and really shoot some on them.

JoeW
10-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Doesn't the Diamond have some sort of leveling system that allows more options when setting up the table? This could be one of the deciding factors for me. Getting the table dead level with shims is always a pain in the neck.

dg-in-centralpa
10-30-2009, 02:50 PM
Come to Valley Forge in March, Diamond will be there. I know they have the bar boxes for the amateur tourney but not sure about the 9 footers. I've played on the bar boxes and they are great.

Duane

Soflasnapper
10-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Joe, yes, the Diamonds have something like a 34 point leveling system (that's from memory, but some staggering figure).

Moreover, speaking with the Diamond rep at the Open, I found at least those (used) tables shipped fully set up (just with the legs taken off), meaning they'd already been fine tuned for level at the factory, and then presumably a slight adjustment was all that was needed for any floor tilt.

Hard to imagine that a GC cannot get equally well-leveled (Brunswick's website boasts of multiple adjustments for leveling as well, although not so many as does Diamond), ALTHOUGH on my supposedly leveled former GC 3 and now GC 4, the mechanics thought they'd leveled them, but I found some remaining rolls they had to re-address.

I was interested to buy tables from the Open, but the shipping and setup costs at that distance would have been another $1,500 or so. Mr. Davis (I think it was, the Diamond guy) said the same pricing for the regular 9 foot tables ($4,500) would be available soon closer (i.e., way less shipping cost), since they were supplying 8 or 9 tables to Cory Deuel somewhere in central Florida for his upcoming tournament.

I almost got the Open's tv table at a considerable premium, thought better of it, and now wish I had pulled that trigger, given the historic nature of Mika's repeating as champion on that table.

Bambu
10-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Sofla, the best I can say is go to the AZB mechanics section. (Thats where Cornerman sent me for my problem.) Nice guys over there with a ton of knowledge. Just a guess but I bet they steer you toward a diamond.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the idea of a one-piece slate (advantage, Diamond), and also the classic look of the old standard table (advantage Brunswick).

I also like the idea of saving about $2,000 on the retail price (advantage Diamond).

Bambu, I have not heard of problems with the GC5 and rather the opposite (that they are highly regarded by players and table mechanics).

Any others who have heard one way or the other about GC5 problems or kudos?

I probably need to find some new equipment from both manufacturers and really shoot some on them.</div></div>

Soflasnapper
10-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Good idea there. I thought my Tuesday hitting partner had reported what he found there, but I'll recheck it myself.

Gayle in MD
11-02-2009, 11:39 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After some aggravation with used Gold Crowns, I am thinking of buying a new table.

I've heard GC 5 is a terrific table and highly regarded, so that was my original leaning on this.

Then I thought about the Diamond tables as well.

Any thoughts on how those tables compare? All things being equal, which would you prefer?

Thanks for any feedback. </div></div>

I have owned the Diamond Pro for quite a few years now, around seven years, or so, I think.

I love it! Love the fact that is it made here in America, and put together in one location, before it is taken apart and packaged for shipping.

I've played on GC's, quite a range of them. Nothing compares to the Diamond, IMO.

They are a good company, and they stand behind their product.

Sometimes they sell their tables after events, on auction, or they used to do so.

Call them and talk with them, and I think you will notice right away, that you are getting the kind of attention from them you will appreciate.

I own a Diamond pro tournament (9') table, and I selected the pro cut pocket. IMO, it's the best table money can buy.

Hope this helps.

Gayle in Md.

wolfdancer
11-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Joe, having worked some in the industry...I gathered from the table mechanics that they love the older Brunswicks, but don't think highly of the newer models. One mechanic that I know has over 100 antique Brunswicks in storage, and got $20k from some interior designer, buying for a client, that matched the one in the Hearst Castle....
The room that I worked in p.t. had all older Brunswicks, and after being nicely restored....they played great!!!
I can't comment on the Diamonds, without ever having played on them....but have heard all good about them.

Soflasnapper
11-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback, all.

Still working on the decision while playing on my semi-satisfactory GC IV, so this could take some time.

Bambu
11-07-2009, 10:24 AM
I am about done with the ball hop on my GC III I got from Blatt. I hate them with a passion. Gonna sell it back to them, and go for the diamond. If they try to low ball me, I'm gonna sue. Good luck Sofla.

Soflasnapper
11-09-2009, 12:10 PM
My old GC III, and now its (used) replacement, the GC IV, exhibit rail thudding that I cannot get solved, and which I find annoying and inteferring with play.

It's not just a sound, but the ball travel seems affected (reduced) as well, as if the rails were loose. But they are not loose, having their bolts re-hand-torqued down to manufacturer specs, replaced with new rubbers and new glue, etc.

Bambu
11-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Looks like we are in the same boat. Old brunswick gold crowns come with possible problems, even reconditioned ones from supposedly honest dealers(Blatt). Newer models seem to lack the older style craftsmanship. Factor in that a new diamond table comes with a one piece slate, artemus rubber, and is almost half the price of a new gold crown....and I have to lean toward the diamond. I just never knew how affordable they were.

bluecuemon
12-28-2009, 10:03 AM
For what its worth what about olhausen tables.I purchased a champ pro,used,that was custom built for mike seigel(spelling?)with tighter than reg pockets.shims were used to level the table,but its a rock solid table,formidable.bluecuemon in florida