PDA

View Full Version : Calling A Spade A Spade..PH R

Chris Cass
08-13-2002, 04:28 PM
Hello everyone,

"Talent" Voodoo's resent post began with me, in mind. Although, Talent wasn't my word. I was flattered by it. I wouldn't have thought of me and talent in the same breath.

Well, to begin with. The ph where I play has many railbirds. None, of which play pool at all and some would fall into the "D/C" catagory. Now, let me say. I have nothing against the "D" players. I along with everyone who enjoys the game of pool started there to begin with.

I made a jump shot making my ob and flying off the table. I made 4 jumps in the game I played and all 4 went in. One however lofted off the table. The clean up guy there said in front of others, to me. I should have jumped 10 degrees lower or something to that effect. Just another smart comment about my game and how I should play certain shots.

First of all, I'm always open for suggestions from anyone regardless of skill level. Anyone can teach something new from watching them. Maybe a particular cut or a shot?

I just can't wack someone over the head with the S.W. or hurt these physically challenged old railbirds. They're many in the ph where I play. They all gather around when I play and no matter what. They'll comment on my play all the time. Not so much out loud to me but I know the deal and have heard plenty from my other ears. Not that I request this intel. I don't care about the small stuff. He said she said.

The particular railbird in question just said it too loud and addressed my attention. It pissed me off nonetheless. I turned to him and said, " Great a "D" player that's never ran two balls in his life, is going to tell me how to shoot!" He went on to argue about the ball flying off the table as he was walking away from the table area. I just got louder, and asked him to go vacumme something. He's a major banger and never has jumped a ball since knowing him the last 5 yrs. I was pissed and yet I think I wanted the others whom I've said nothing to previously to catch the drift.

I IM'd Voodoo, still complaining about it. He as any true friend called me and wanted to talk about it. Free nights and weekends. hahaha He'd still call anyway. He's good that way.

I never say anything and try to just play. They constantly come to watch my games. They'll comment and I hear the whispers. I guess, I had enough that day. Even video taping a match of mine the other day. They even walked threw the camera view and sat right there in my chair. They've got grapes the sizes of watermellons. They don't give up. I hate even going to play there sometimes.

Regards,

C.C.~~thanks Voodoo, your a real pal...

PQQLK9
08-13-2002, 04:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> The particular railbird in question just said it too loud and addressed my attention. It pissed me off nonetheless. I turned to him and said, " Great a "D" player that's never ran two balls in his life, is going to tell me how to shoot!" He went on to argue about the ball flying off the table as he was walking away from the table area. I just got louder, and asked him to go vacumme something. He's a major banger and never has jumped a ball since knowing him the last 5 yrs. I was pissed and yet I think I wanted the others whom I've said nothing to previously to catch the drift.<hr></blockquote>

I call that "talking to the wall so the door can hear" /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif there are clones of those bums everywhere

08-13-2002, 07:23 PM
Hi Chris, it's too bad you're sujected to that type of BS. I don't know the crew your dealing with here but I think I would try and get the ring leader alone and have a serious conversation without the insults. You need to find out why it's you. If you have no luck with that angle, then I don't know. They might just enjoy insults and the attention they get because of it. Best of luck in getting it resolved. Terry

Barbara
08-13-2002, 08:13 PM
Ouch C.C. Smart! Just let me know when you need Agent 99 to find out where they live so she can kick them where they live. Or I'll sic the nieces and nephews on them. "Yeah, yeah, go ahead, keep up the excuses why you don't play so good." I'm talking sharp nieces and nephews! Hey, they shut up a COO of a Bay area company!!

Barbara~~~ready to back up her boss...

08-13-2002, 09:55 PM
Hi Chris,

I wouldn't be too fast to get rid of them. The very fact that you are complaining about them tells me that you let them get into your mind, but they are basically just the same as an audience at a matchup. It's much better to get used to playing with the gawkers and phase them out of your mind so that they don't get to your game.

I used to get messed up by hearing conversations about my game while I was shooting, but now I appreciate the chance to ignore it and let my cue do the talking.

Cheers

Chris Cass
08-13-2002, 10:08 PM
Well,

I'm used to people watching matches. I don't hear them much and tune them out too. I'm not used to people that shoot under me, telling me what or how to shoot, while I'm in a game.

Thanks for the input,

C.C.

Chris Cass
08-13-2002, 10:10 PM
Oh Barbara,

Your so good to me. I'm going to let you shoot with the S.W. in Vegas next yr.

C.C.~~LOL

08-14-2002, 12:55 AM
People talk..

And the goal of all railbirds, is to drag you to the rail..

The pecking of the birds is never heard by the hawk waiting to pick them up by the neck, in a spectacular swan dive..

[censored] railbirds..
For that is what they are..

Carson

Lester
08-14-2002, 05:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr>
I never say anything and try to just play. They constantly come to watch my games. They'll comment and I hear the whispers.
Regards,

C.C.~~thanks Voodoo, your a real pal... <hr></blockquote>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Chris, this brings to mind a dear friend (an older railbird, that watches my matchups). He makes disparaging remarks when I miss, and offers up how I "shoulda played it". He was in a submarine during WW II, and one day after one of his "constructive criticisms", I turned to him and said "I thought you were in the "Silent Service". The whole place cracked up - him to. It didn't silence him, but he does it less now, but just for effect. I don't think he means anything detrimental, he's just trying to be part of the match up. I hope he's there commenting on my performance for a long time to come. Win, Lose or Draw ---I can learn to take it. ***Lester***

bluewolf
08-14-2002, 06:11 AM
Chris,

the fact that everyone is watching you tells me that you are d**n good. it seems that the higher one gets in his/her sport, the more incompetents want to knock them down. it is often a self esteem thing. those with crappy self esteem are jeolous of better players and the only way they can make themselves feel good is to knock someone else.

bluewolf

Jay M
08-14-2002, 07:21 AM
The talking about shots doesn't bother me half as much as shooting in absolute silence and having one person yell something to someone else across the room while I'm shooting. If it's busy and noisy, I don't mind. If it's silent and everyone's watching, I don't mind. If there is only one conversation going on (loudly) it kills me...

Jay M

Eric.
08-14-2002, 07:52 AM
walk calmly over and hand him a house cue. "Here you make the F-ing shot." If you know the guy isn't that good,(C or worse) it doesn't hurt to call him out and see if he is willing to back his game with some dead presidents. Then, if you're feeling spiteful, ask him every so often "How should I play THIS shot, Genius?"

I feel ya on this one.

Eric &gt;loves them railbirds

Eric

Voodoo Daddy
08-14-2002, 09:45 AM
It's true, I had you in mind Chris but there are several others in my world wide tribe that battle the "RAIL" daily. I just throw chalk, a full glass of water or cueballs at them....they seem to leave me alone.

08-14-2002, 10:46 AM

griffith_d
08-14-2002, 11:00 AM
Railbirds have no effect on me whatsoever,...someone could do jumping jacks in front of me and it would accomplish nothing.

I have had countless players that follow my shot around and stand on the other end of the table to get in my field of vision as I am shooting,...still does nothing.

The only thing that effects my play is me,..95% of the time the only person that beats me is me.

You have to put everything out of your mind and let no one bother you. If railbirds/other player,...whoever, are saying, doing things, making motions to mess you up, then they must be worried.

Griff

Chris Cass
08-14-2002, 11:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Eric.:</font><hr> "How should I play THIS shot, Genius?"
Eric <hr></blockquote>

HAHAHAHA, I love this line....hahaha Thanks Eric....

Regards,

C.C.~~great advice. LOL

Chris Cass
08-14-2002, 11:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> It's true, I had you in mind Chris but there are several others in my world wide tribe that battle the "RAIL" daily. I just throw chalk, a full glass of water or cueballs at them....they seem to leave me alone. <hr></blockquote>

HAHAHAHAHA, your dangerous Voodoo....I like your style, keep in mind I don't like water when I'm at the Derby with you...LMAO

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
08-14-2002, 11:51 AM
Where have you been Carson? Good to see ya back.

C.C.

Barbara
08-14-2002, 07:36 PM
Like you think that will help me?? Tell ya what, just bring a bottle of Calamine lotion with you to my matches. 'Cause last year I had a really bad case of the "scratches". Off the breaks, that is.

Barbara

Lester
08-15-2002, 05:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Barbara:</font><hr> Like you think that will help me?? Tell ya what, just bring a bottle of Calamine lotion with you to my matches. 'Cause last year I had a really bad case of the "scratches". Off the breaks, that is.

Barbara <hr></blockquote>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;I usually carry a Hartz 3in1 flea collar in my case. It keeps me from scratching too much. ***Lester***

bluewolf
08-15-2002, 05:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> Chris, I have been lucky in that I have never had or experienced rail birds. I am sure my day is coming, so it is nice to be prepared with the CCB replys.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could use those voice suppressors the judges use. Just place it around the pool table somehow and white out all the rail bird sounds. Okay Dr_D, I am sure you can make big bucks marketing that idea. <hr></blockquote>

maybe my son could invent it. at 28 he already has inventions under his belt.just give me a list of anything you want invented and i will pass it on to him. then dr d can market it.

my son is the smartest person in the universe &lt;G&gt;

bluewolf

Lester
08-15-2002, 05:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: whitewolf:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Chris, I have been lucky in that I have never had or experienced rail birds. I am sure my day is coming, so it is nice to be prepared with the CCB replys.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could use those voice suppressors the judges use. Just place it around the pool table somehow and white out all the rail bird sounds. Okay Dr_D, I am sure you can make big bucks marketing that idea. &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

maybe my son could invent it. at 28 he already has inventions under his belt.just give me a list of anything you want invented and i will pass it on to him. then dr d can market it.

bluewolf <hr></blockquote>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;OH MY GOD, YOU'RE PATRICK'S MOTHER????????
***Lester***

bluewolf
08-15-2002, 05:48 AM
if someone did that to me, i would tell them off in such a way that they would wish they could find a hole to crawl into!!

bluewolf

bluewolf
08-15-2002, 05:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lester:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: whitewolf:

Wouldn't it be nice if we could use those voice suppressors the judges use. Just place it around the pool table somehow and white out all the rail bird sounds. Okay Dr_D, I am sure you can make big bucks marketing that idea.

Bluewolf:

bluewolf
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;OH MY GOD, YOU'RE PATRICK'S MOTHER????????
***Lester*** <hr></blockquote>

NO NO NO&gt; Patrick is 20, my son, Tony, is 28. There is one big difference between them.If you tell Tony he is brilliant, he says 'the tests are easy' &lt;G&gt;

bluewolf

Fran Crimi
08-15-2002, 06:06 AM
I know how you feel, Chris. I think the only thing you can do in that situation is that every time they annoy you, just keep challenging them to get up there and play you for $500. With every word they say, just keep telling them over and over again to either get up there and play for $500 or shut up. Don't let them get a word in edge-wise, just keep asking them over and over, "Are you going to play me or not?"

They'll shut up AND I guarantee, they'll walk away.

I find that most rail-bird ball-bangers are cheap as hell and big nits. Between the money and your speed, it'll scare the heck out of 'em.

Fran

cheesemouse
08-15-2002, 06:28 AM
My favorite line to the railbird is do you play now or Who was it that ripped your heart out?
I don't take no $hit from the rail........ /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Voodoo Daddy
08-15-2002, 07:33 PM
I always refer the heartless to Sears...the must have one on sale with a lifetime warranty, or I sing that song the Lion sang in the Wizard of Oz "If I only had a heart". Anyone that knows me knows I dont play real well...but I will SEND IT!!!