PDA

View Full Version : jumping stroke--regular grip

heater451
08-13-2002, 10:01 PM
Okay, so I was screwing around with my stroke the other evening (for breaking and draw, mostly), and in the course of shooting some 'ducks' while practicing (if you could call it that), I discovered how to jump with a full cue--regular grip, jacked up/high bridge.

The thing is, I was NOT scooping, and I was not hitting underhand or with the dart stroke. I was just hitting around 35-45 degrees above the cue ball equator, with a 'loose' stroke. The cue was heavier than my usual 19 oz (I was also rotating through the Players cues that came w/ my table--an 18, 19, 20, and 21 oz, all with different hardness of tips). I don't remember if I was using the 20 or the 21 ounce, but I do know it was one of the heavier ones.

Anyway, I could clear a full ball, but the jump had to be pretty long (1/2-2/3 table), with the interfering ball around a minimum of 18 inches from the cue ball. I was having so much fun, I started hitting everything 'down table' with the same stroke, just trying to get the ball in the air (sunk about 4 out of 10, btw--lucky).

My question is, does anyone else jump with the "regular" grip (overhand), and what are the minimum limits you would consider, for jumping/clearing an interfering ball?

Note: I have managed a few, uncontrolled dart stroke jumps in my time, but it seems very unwieldy, with a full cue, and I don't recall EVER getting the 'underhand' stroke to work. I have always preferred to go with a kick or a (not too sharp) masse, so I am a newcomer to the jumping bit. I have recently read the posts about underhand and dart strokes, and will work on those techniques when I can. . . .

=======================

Jay M
08-14-2002, 10:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>
My question is, does anyone else jump with the "regular" grip (overhand), and what are the minimum limits you would consider, for jumping/clearing an interfering ball?
<hr></blockquote>

I use a full playing cue with a regular grip, although I am short (5'6") so I have to swing my arm away from my body a bit. With my 19 Oz McDermott I can jump a full ball at a distance of about two balls (roughly 6") depending on the shaft I am using. With my softer tip, the distance goes out to about 9". I rarely try to jump a full ball at close distance though, the percentages are better for the kick at a certain point. I'll jump a partial ball if it is 3" or further away as long as the obstructing ball isn't more than about 1/3 of the distance between the cue and the OB away. The way I jump my minimum distance between cue and OB is about 2', anything closer and I'll kick because it's too hard to control the cue ball and the leave.

Jay M

heater451
08-14-2002, 01:20 PM
Alright, that lets me know that it's worth working on--since it seems to be the easiest way for me to 'get air', compared to the other stroke types.

For reference, I'm about 5'9", so I should be okay on that front. . . .

I'm also thinking that I should videotape, to see what kind of height I'm getting.

Any other suggestions?

Michelle
08-14-2002, 03:40 PM
Yeah, definately...my teammate/co-worker, Ed, uses a regular grip with his bunjee cue. He does quite well with it. And if I remember correctly, rackmup does too.

08-14-2002, 03:43 PM
I jump with a regular grip. And almost all of the pros I know jump with a regular grip. There are a few that use the "dart" technique, but not many. Actually, only one comes to mind.

The "dart" technique makes it easier to get the ball up. But the "regular" technique is more accurate. At least, that's the way it is for me. Most (maybe all but one) pro's that I know view it the same way.

If you watch jump shots on ESPN (check out Fong-Pang Chao's jump shot against Francisco Bustamante in the last rack of the Challenge of Champions!), you will see them using the "regular" technique instead of the "dart" technique.

Chris Cass
08-15-2002, 01:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Jay M:</font><hr>
I use a full playing cue with a regular grip, although I am short (5'6") so I have to swing my arm away from my body a bit. With my 19 Oz McDermott I can jump a full ball at a distance of about two balls (roughly 6") depending on the shaft I am using. With my softer tip, the distance goes out to about 9". I rarely try to jump a full ball at close distance though, the percentages are better for the kick at a certain point. I'll jump a partial ball if it is 3" or further away as long as the obstructing ball isn't more than about 1/3 of the distance between the cue and the OB away. The way I jump my minimum distance between cue and OB is about 2', anything closer and I'll kick because it's too hard to control the cue ball and the leave.
Jay M <hr></blockquote>

What a crock. I know your 5'7" Jay.

With my Air Time, I can jump a full ball 1 ball width or three fingers. That I do with the dart stroke. Underarm stroke a full from 6" to a little over 1/2 table length of a 9 ft. The dart stroke gets me back down and stay on the table in confined close spots. The distance where the third piece of the Air Time cue comes on at distances from 2ft. and beyond. Otherwise it's just the two pieces.

With a full cue I can jump about the same as Jay said. I also play to make the ball not just hit it. So, with that in mind. I'll Masse', kick, jump bank or any other way to make or hide my opponent.

Regards,

C.C.~~5'6" on tippy toes 5'10"...lol

CarolNYC
08-15-2002, 04:03 AM
There is NO WAY I could jump the ball with my cue or dart stroke! Totally spastic! But with my Bungee,using regular stroke and the words"HUMMMMMMMMM-Chris Cass is with me!":)-I can jump almost anything!Height is an important factor!
Carol~loves her Mantra!