PDA

View Full Version : Our Youth Too Fat & Dumb To Join Military.

Gayle in MD
11-04-2009, 07:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WASHINGTON (Nov. 3) -- Are America's youth too fat, dumb or dishonest to defend the nation against its enemies?

The latest Army statistics show a stunning 75 percent of military-age youth are ineligible to join the military because they are overweight, can't pass entrance exams, have dropped out of high school or had run-ins with the law.

So many young people between the prime recruiting ages of 17 and 24 cannot meet minimum standards that a group of retired military leaders is calling for more investment in early childhood education to combat the insidious effects of junk food and inadequate education.

"We've never had this problem of young people being obese like we have today," said Gen. John Shalikashvili, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

He calls the rising number of youth unfit for duty a matter of national security. "We should be concerned about how this will impact this overstretched Army and its ability to recruit."

Shalikashvili is among dozens of retired generals, admirals and civilian Pentagon officials who have banded together as Mission Readiness: Military Leaders for Kids. The group, which includes former NATO commander and presidential candidate Wesley Clark, will appear with Secretary of Education Arne Duncan at the National Press Club on Thursday to urge immediate action to reduce dropout rates and improve the physical and moral fitness of the nation's youth.

They will cite research that shows quality early childhood education raises graduation rates by up to 44 percent and reduces the odds of being arrested for a violent crime by age 18.

Douglas Smith of the U.S. Army Recruiting Command said 2008 data shows about three in 10 youths have an initial barrier to enlistment.

Most aren't insurmountable. "If you're overweight, we tell you to come back when you've lost the weight. If you don't score well on the armed forces aptitude test, we suggest you study and take it again," he said.

Between 2004 and 2008, the Army more than doubled the number of "conduct" waivers it granted to would-be soldiers with criminal or misdemeanor records. The loosened standards proved necessary in a time of war and amid a booming economy that forced military recruiters to work overtime to fill the ranks.

The new warnings about a generation of couch potatoes comes just weeks after the Pentagon announced its best recruiting year since the all-volunteer force began in 1974. The economic meltdown and rising unemployment, combined with bigger military bonuses and benefits, enticed hundreds of thousands to enlist despite the inevitability most would be sent to war.

The plethora of would-be recruits allowed the military services to be choosier after years of taking in more high school dropouts and those needing extra physical training to meet weight requirements.

Recruiting may have gotten easier, but "the good times don't stay forever," warned David Segal, a University of Maryland military sociologist. When the economy recovers and young people are able to get jobs or can afford to go to college, the military will be faced with the same out-of-shape, ill-prepared pool of recruits as before.

"Recruiting will get tough again," he said. "The trend line is clear: The youth population is getting less healthy." </div></div>

cushioncrawler
11-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Gayle -- But over in Hate'istan youth recruitment iz Boom'Boom-Booming.
madMac.

Gayle in MD
11-04-2009, 08:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gayle -- But over in Hate'istan youth recruitment iz Boom'Boom-Booming.
madMac. </div></div>

Yep! You are right! Gee, this puts the repubs between a rock and a hard place, since they were against the hHead Start Program, that made a huge difference in our children's educational performances.

They're against paying sugar taxes to help persuade people in this country to take five damn minutes and make a pitcher of tea, instead of opeing up a bottle of pop, and feeding it to their kids.

They're against paying more to return our physical education programs to the schools, which BUSH did away with, with his no child left behind, which he promptly DEFUNDED.

SOOOOOOOO, Now what are they going to do about spreading democracy around the world at the end of a gun, which they are still pusing for! How are they going to keep on pusing to throwing money at the Pantagon, and the Military Industrial Copmplex, when we don't have any kids smart enough, or healthy enough to go fight in their stupid wars?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

G.

pooltchr
11-04-2009, 08:01 PM
A point we agree upon!

Our public schools have so many programs, and so much government intervention into how to bus kids across town to keep a cultural balance, and programs for every social malady known to man. About the only thing our schools don't do any more is actually provide an education to the kids.

Steve

wolfdancer
11-04-2009, 09:30 PM
speaking of soda pop...just read an article yesterday, on Yahoo, how bad that is for your health.
Somehow I never had the taste for soft drinks...never finished a bottle of Coke, pepsi, or orange drink in my life.

sack316
11-05-2009, 12:18 AM
I find nothing I disagree with here. I would dare say, we are in total agreement, except for maybe the sugar tax stuff... which I think may bother me more in the aspect of timing rather than principle... but I am back and forth on that issue for now.

But in terms of the topic provided, as is, I completely agree.

Sack

Gayle in MD
11-05-2009, 12:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">speaking of soda pop...just read an article yesterday, on Yahoo, how bad that is for your health.
Somehow I never had the taste for soft drinks...never finished a bottle of Coke, pepsi, or orange drink in my life.
</div></div>

I can't stand the stuff, never could...and as recent studies are proving more health advantages from tea, I cannot believe that people are still drinking sodas, a major cause of obesity in children, and adults.

Not to mention, we now know that even when these children grow up, if they ever do get in shape, they STILL have more illnesses to deal in adult life, including emotional problems, from the years when they WERE obese.

Sodas should have warnings that drinking them is bad for one's health, can cause obesity, which is a leading cause of diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritus, sleep apthnea, some cancers, heart trouble, and, mental and emotional problems, including learning disabilities, and bi-polar disorders...it's really causing severe health risks, because of it's link to weight issues.

I'm all for taxing it.

G.

wolfdancer
11-05-2009, 12:30 PM
You have given me an idea for Xmas...I'll be sending a case of soda pop to each of our "friends" here /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Gayle in MD
11-05-2009, 12:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have given me an idea for Xmas...I'll be sending a case of soda pop to each of our "friends" here /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

Great idea, send them some twinkies, too...I hear, some a dem jes luuuuuuv dem twinkies. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Gayle in MD
11-05-2009, 12:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find nothing I disagree with here.

<span style="color: #000066">Really, gee, you sure? I mean, maybe you should pick through it again, don't be too hasty, now.</span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I would dare say, we are in total agreement, except for maybe the sugar tax stuff... which I think may bother me more in the aspect of timing rather than principle... but I am back and forth on that issue for now.

Sack </div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">OMG, I better pull out the snow shovel, must be a blizzard coming. </span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Hey, Sack, I'm going to be cruising through the Bahamas again this winter, down through the Exumas, too...I'll stop and pick you up if you can get away... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

wolfdancer
11-05-2009, 12:47 PM
"read through it again" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

wolfdancer
11-05-2009, 12:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pentagon announced its best recruiting year since the all-volunteer force began in 1974. The economic meltdown and rising unemployment, combined with bigger military bonuses and benefits, enticed hundreds of thousands to enlist despite the inevitability most would be sent to war. </div></div>
The Pentagon is bragging about the all-volunteer army, then actually lists the reasons that they "volunteered?
Aren't these the same reasons people become mercenaries?

wolfdancer
11-05-2009, 12:56 PM
what's with this too fat and too dumb stuff? Are they only testing Republicans?

Gayle in MD
11-05-2009, 12:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pentagon announced its best recruiting year since the all-volunteer force began in 1974. The economic meltdown and rising unemployment, combined with bigger military bonuses and benefits, enticed hundreds of thousands to enlist despite the inevitability most would be sent to war. </div></div>
The Pentagon is bragging about the all-volunteer army, then actually lists the reasons that they "volunteered?
Aren't these the same reasons people become mercenaries?
</div></div>

The Pentagon is probably the most wasteful of any agency.

If we just cut them back for a few years, and kept them honest, we could be in the black for a decade.

G.

Deeman3
11-05-2009, 01:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have given me an idea for Xmas...I'll be sending a case of soda pop to each of our "friends" here /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000"> Diet Mountain Dew, please, with a complimentary case of Jack D. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </span>

sack316
11-05-2009, 01:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find nothing I disagree with here.

<span style="color: #000066">Really, gee, you sure? I mean, maybe you should pick through it again, don't be too hasty, now.</span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I would dare say, we are in total agreement, except for maybe the sugar tax stuff... which I think may bother me more in the aspect of timing rather than principle... but I am back and forth on that issue for now.

Sack </div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">OMG, I better pull out the snow shovel, must be a blizzard coming. </span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif</div></div>

Lol, yeah I know right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, Sack, I'm going to be cruising through the Bahamas again this winter, down through the Exumas, too...I'll stop and pick you up if you can get away... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
</div></div>

I'd love to! Gonna need a getaway, work has been picking up. Of course all timed in with the fact that I've double up my class-load at school... a decision made due to the fact that I wasn't working all that much so figured I should be more productive with my all my extra time. And of course, as life goes, as soon as I do that work picks on up! So a nice cruise does sound very much in order to me!

Sack